Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

Mangala is no better than Richards , he sometimes defends like a bull in a china shop , and doesnt think about the game , very much like Richards , but lets hope mangala improves and learns from MDM & Vinny. Richards downfall was after 5 seasons he didnt improve and didnt learn ,and he believed the hype around him and his nice fat contract

blue ranger said:
I've had high hopes for mangala since we've signed him, but I'm genuinely beginning to fear we have signed a dud. Second half today I thought he was atrocious. The way lukaku went past him a few times in and around the box really worries me. I was much more impressed with john stones at the other end. MDM, Clichy and Zabba were great tho.

Martin gave the ball away once in the second half which led to a everton corner. If that was mangala, the match thrwad would of gone into meltdown. He did something similar in the second half too. They've both had a long run of games in the league and I think vinny coming back is timed nicely.

jimmygrimblesboots said:
Mangala is no better than Richards , he sometimes defends like a bull in a china shop , and doesnt think about the game , very much like Richards , but lets hope mangala improves and learns from MDM & Vinny. Richards downfall was after 5 seasons he didnt improve and didnt learn ,and he believed the hype around him and his nice fat contract

I don't think Eli is anywhere near as good as Micah. Micah had the temperament for big games; Eli doesn't even have it for Burnley. The more we see of him, the more obvious it becomes that he is not at the level we require.

He did some things well but his positioning and marking was very poor (especially the second half)—if not for Joe's heroics Lukaku would have scored two after beating Mangala for both.

I'm also very surprised no one has brought up how many times he needlessly gave away posssession with bad touches and passes. I counted at least three attempted passes from just on the edge of our box that went straight to an Everton player and three attempted clearances that also found the nearest man in a deep blue shirt. I know it is not something people usually like to focus on with a defender but if he does that against Real, Barça, Bayern, or Chelsea they are going to score at least half those chances as our entire defense are then immediately on the backfoot.

Again, I am sure he will improve but he absolutely needs to stop making those glaring errors.

Thought he was terrible last year for Porto and questioned why on earth we were paying that much for him.

He's done nothing that makes me thing I was wrong. He even lacks the basics.

SebastianBlue said:
He did some things well but his positioning and marking was very poor (especially the second half)—if not for Joe's heroics Lukaku would have scored two after beating Mangala for both.

I'm also very surprised no one has brought up how many times he needless gave away position with bad touches and passes. I counted at least three attempted passes from just on the edge of our box that went straight to an Everton player and three attempted clearances that also found the nearest man in a deep blue shirt. I know it is not something people usually like to focus on with a defender but if he does that against Real, Barça, Bayern, or Chelsea they are going to score at least half those chances as our entire defense are then immediately on the backfoot.

Again, I am sure he will improve but he absolutely needs to stop making those glaring errors.

Sometimes his left, his primary leg, looks like mine. And mine is just there for the composure. He's no better than Lesscott with ball.

Thought he did very well today. Not easy against a big striker like Lukaku. His reading of the game was great today and yes he made a couple of wayward passes but he made some tidy intelligent ones too. For me he was one of our best performers.

Ballymagash Blue said:
jimmygrimblesboots said:

I don't think Eli is anywhere near as good as Micah. Micah had the temperament for big games; Eli doesn't even have it for Burnley. The more we see of him, the more obvious it becomes that he is not at the level we require.

You didn't see Richards' performance at home to second flight Wigan in March then? Give the kid a break.

argyle said:
Thought he was terrible last year for Porto and questioned why on earth we were paying that much for him.

Certainly a big big gamble at £32 million....

argyle said:

WUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.