Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangala

Ballymagash Blue said:
jimmygrimblesboots said:
Mangala is no better than Richards , he sometimes defends like a bull in a china shop , and doesnt think about the game , very much like Richards , but lets hope mangala improves and learns from MDM & Vinny. Richards downfall was after 5 seasons he didnt improve and didnt learn ,and he believed the hype around him and his nice fat contract

I don't think Eli is anywhere near as good as Micah. Micah had the temperament for big games; Eli doesn't even have it for Burnley. The more we see of him, the more obvious it becomes that he is not at the level we require.

He did fine today! Plus a new young player in a new league especially the premier you got give them time to settle..

SebastianBlue said:
He did some things well but his positioning and marking was very poor (especially the second half)—if not for Joe's heroics Lukaku would have scored two after beating Mangala for both.

I'm also very surprised no one has brought up how many times he needlessly gave away posssession with bad touches and passes. I counted at least three attempted passes from just on the edge of our box that went straight to an Everton player and three attempted clearances that also found the nearest man in a deep blue shirt. I know it is not something people usually like to focus on with a defender but if he does that against Real, Barça, Bayern, or Chelsea they are going to score at least half those chances as our entire defense are then immediately on the backfoot.

Again, I am sure he will improve but he absolutely needs to stop making those glaring errors.
Heroics? He made two pretty decent, routine saves from narrow angles that you'd be hugely dissapointed if any top flight keeper let in. He's the bloody keeper, it's not "heroics" to make a save or two a game ffs, it's his fucking job.

citymad said:
argyle said:
Thought he was terrible last year for Porto and questioned why on earth we were paying that much for him.

He's done nothing that makes me thing I was wrong. He even lacks the basics.

WUM

No. I can just be objective.

One of Eli's strengths is his pace but he seems to be rather slower than several strikers he's been marking in recent games. I think it may be question of anticipation rather than speed though. This can improve fortunately as he definitely isn't going to get any quicker.

jimmygrimblesboots said:
Mangala is no better than Richards , he sometimes defends like a bull in a china shop , and doesnt think about the game , very much like Richards , but lets hope mangala improves and learns from MDM & Vinny. Richards downfall was after 5 seasons he didnt improve and didnt learn ,and he believed the hype around him and his nice fat contract

You fucking drunk?

Mangala is simply finding his feet in the hardest league in the world....and looks like he can be a monster once he gets his feet under him.

His yellow card today was a joke! It wasn't even a fucking foul! That said, he won't come up against any more physical centre forward in the league, with the possible exception of Carroll, and he held his own.

He will be a rock in the centre of our defence in short order, because he has all the attributes and two quality teachers in Kompany and DeMichelis. It is unbelievable that some punters think he is not a decent player or not good enough for us. In this league, he will be immense for us......for a long time to come.

Seems pretty easy to beat in a one on one situation , might fancy my chances myself and I'm 56 , and not that good in challenging when ball is in the air , can only hope he learns from the more experienced players around him

And the pendulum swings the other way...

Still having good games and bad while he learns how to play in this league. Hopefully will come good next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.