Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lasereyes said:
chris85mcfc said:
FantasyIreland said:
Popular rumour only.

Even if it was purely financial,the club obviously decided where their priority lay,and ive no problem with that.

The point still stands tho, that the money could have been better off spent elsewhere

Funny, given elsewhere MDM is being slagged off left, right and centre for a poor game yesterday.

Thats the daft thing tho mate, people are slagging off a 35 year old centre half for his lack of pace, when we have just thrown £32 million at a quick, strong centre half, who can't even get in the team!

Can you not see a bit of a pattern emerging here

FantasyIreland said:
chris85mcfc said:
FantasyIreland said:
Why does his price tag continue to crop up?

He was bought for his potential,hopefully for the next ten years,you'd have to be very short sighted to think otherwise.

Perhaps because that £30 million could have been used more wisely ie a player that could have been the difference yesterday

We should have saved the 'potential' signings until we were home and hosed in terms of FFP

And let another team sign him?

We required a centre half as much as creativity,the former,at the desired quality,was available and we were decisive in securing him.
off course. It's not like there wouldn't be another potentially great young prospect next year. There is no point pumping that much money into a backup. Get what improves you now, and add a future star when you have less restriction. This shouldn't be rocket science.

chris85mcfc said:
lasereyes said:
chris85mcfc said:
The point still stands tho, that the money could have been better off spent elsewhere

Funny, given elsewhere MDM is being slagged off left, right and centre for a poor game yesterday.

Thats the daft thing tho mate, people are slagging off a 35 year old centre half for his lack of pace, when we have just thrown £32 million at a quick, strong centre half, who can't even get in the team!

MDM has never to my knowledge been criticized for lack of pace. He is no gazelle and doesn't claim to be. The problem yesterday was giving the ball away. Which to be fair is quite uncharacteristic (plus he was hardly alone in that). So I'm not going to blame him for what could be an outlier game.

lasereyes said:
chris85mcfc said:
lasereyes said:

MDM has never to my knowledge been criticized for lack of pace. He is no gazelle and doesn't claim to be. The problem yesterday was giving the ball away. Which to be fair is quite uncharacteristic (plus he was hardly alone in that). So I'm not going to blame him for what could be an outlier game.
MDM task was not helped that Arsenal midfield had Silva covered every time, we had no Nasri, Milner was the invisible man and the two Brazilians never once wanted to recieve the ball...his options were very limited, and anyway have you seen Mangala on the ball and his ability to pass under pressure????

Wio Gumflapdinand said:
lasereyes said:
chris85mcfc said:

MDM task was not helped that Arsenal midfield had Silva covered every time, we had no Nasri, Milner was the invisible man and the two Brazilians never once wanted to recieve the ball...his options were very limited, and anyway have you seen Mangala on the ball and his ability to pass under pressure????
Mangala on the ball is a lot like Sahko on the ball, a point I made consistently all summer. But I was quickly shown a highlight video of how his clearances often went to team mates. But hey, his still young. But I still don't understand why we had to buy him this year :?

chris85mcfc said:
who can't even get in the team!

Not sure how you come to the conclusion EM can't get in the team. Yes he didn't play against Arsenal which IMO was a mistake on the manager's part, but in terms of a pattern emerging there isn't one. Mangala has played an awful lot of football in recent weeks/months and I'm certain he'll start against Chelsea which IMO is a bigger game than the Arsenal one and a tougher one.

It's a shame we see so much criticism for a young defender - his categorisation as some sort of brainless defensive liability is completely at odds with the performances we have put in in the last two months with him a mainstay in the team. I'm not saying its you who said those things Chris, more a general point on the criticism he receives.

Anyway I'm still sure he'll prove to be a bargain in the years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.