Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
chris85mcfc said:
FantasyIreland said:
Exactly Joe,its that simple.

Mangala is one of three excellent centre halves that the boss is rotating as he sees fit.

We made a statement by securing a much sought after player,one with immense potential and probably the best available at the time........and many of his displays have justified that.
Would some of you have been content with Boyata as our third choice,and finding himself playing regular alongside Martin?

I take it you haven't watched him live too often?

I can think of a couple of games where he has been very good, but umpteen where he has been a liability

And this nonsense about him being good on the ball is way off the mark. John Stones is good on the ball for a young defender, Mangala looks shaky

No problem Chris,you have made your mind up.......time will tell.

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
who can't even get in the team!

Can you not see a bit of a pattern emerging here

Not sure how you come to the conclusion EM can't get in the team. Yes he didn't play against Arsenal which IMO was a mistake on the manager's part, but in terms of a pattern emerging there isn't one. Mangala has played an awful lot of football in recent weeks/months and I'm certain he'll start against Chelsea which IMO is a bigger game than the Arsenal one and a tougher one.

It's a shame we see so much criticism for a young defender - his categorisation as some sort of brainless defensive liability is completely at odds with the performances we have put in in the last two months with him a mainstay in the team. I'm not saying its you who said those things Chris, more a general point on the criticism he receives.

Anyway I'm still sure he'll prove to be a bargain in the years to come.

I've made a few posts in here in the last couple of days, but without actually looking at them, most of my comments have been more along the lines of the fact that we spent so much of our restricted budget on a defender that was on the bench in a big game, while a 35 year old defender was out on the pitch.

The point i was making was, and its in hindsight on my part (although id imagine the club knew what they were paying for in Mangala) if we were going to spend £32 million on someone during a restricted period, then perhaps it should have gone on a player that instantly improves the team, and not someone we are going to have to be patient with.

From what ive seen of Mangala up to now, im not convinced he will turn out to be the top class defender we're hoping for, although im willing to give him some leeway this season as its his first season, and unfortunately defenders of that age tend to make mistakes.
Considering we had just won a double,it was a perfect time to buy top potential and thats what he is.Why not try giving him some time .

Do you think John Stones will go further,I guarantee he won't !

IanBishopsHaircut said:
VOOMER said:
The real issue is who we have bought in the last 4 window's
Jovetic 20 mill injury prone but good not great
the beast 18 mill gone
Navas 14 mill important squad player
Fernandinho 28 mill hot and cold
MDM could have been bought on a free by far the best value for money
Fernando 14 mill dross
Mangala 30 mill hot and cold but you can see the quality at times.
Bony could have been bought for 8 mill less.
Lampard a desperate but good piece of business
player's missed
Song on a free
Sanchez if we hadn't wasted 14 mill on Fernando

All in all boarding on appalling, not gems uncovered and we still really on the same players bought 4 years ago to win.

Fuck Me

Why don't we top ourselves right now

You ungrateful ****

You want to know about having shite players?

Lad that sits next to me in work is a Long suffering Villa fan

The lad is wondering why they are quibbling over paying 3.5 million for Scott Sinclair

I dearly wish some of you self entitled fuckwits would get some perspective
It's fuckin embarrassing isn't it and he's actually already gone as far as to call Fernando dross.Really fuckin embarrassing !

Thenumber1blue said:
chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
Not sure how you come to the conclusion EM can't get in the team. Yes he didn't play against Arsenal which IMO was a mistake on the manager's part, but in terms of a pattern emerging there isn't one. Mangala has played an awful lot of football in recent weeks/months and I'm certain he'll start against Chelsea which IMO is a bigger game than the Arsenal one and a tougher one.

It's a shame we see so much criticism for a young defender - his categorisation as some sort of brainless defensive liability is completely at odds with the performances we have put in in the last two months with him a mainstay in the team. I'm not saying its you who said those things Chris, more a general point on the criticism he receives.

Anyway I'm still sure he'll prove to be a bargain in the years to come.

I've made a few posts in here in the last couple of days, but without actually looking at them, most of my comments have been more along the lines of the fact that we spent so much of our restricted budget on a defender that was on the bench in a big game, while a 35 year old defender was out on the pitch.

The point i was making was, and its in hindsight on my part (although id imagine the club knew what they were paying for in Mangala) if we were going to spend £32 million on someone during a restricted period, then perhaps it should have gone on a player that instantly improves the team, and not someone we are going to have to be patient with.

From what ive seen of Mangala up to now, im not convinced he will turn out to be the top class defender we're hoping for, although im willing to give him some leeway this season as its his first season, and unfortunately defenders of that age tend to make mistakes.
Considering we had just won a double,it was a perfect time to buy top potential and thats what he is.Why not try giving him some time .

Do you think John Stones will go further,I guarantee he won't !

That's utter bollocks.

The best time to strengthen is when you have just won the league, as you sure as hell know the teams that finished behind you will strengthen to challenge, and thats exactly what Chelsea have done.

That £32 million could have been better spent on buying a top class player who influences a football match and who instantly makes us a better side

Thanks joe said:
Dax777 said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
MDM task was not helped that Arsenal midfield had Silva covered every time, we had no Nasri, Milner was the invisible man and the two Brazilians never once wanted to recieve the ball...his options were very limited, and anyway have you seen Mangala on the ball and his ability to pass under pressure????
Mangala on the ball is a lot like Sahko on the ball, a point I made consistently all summer. But I was quickly shown a highlight video of how his clearances often went to team mates. But hey, his still young. But I still don't understand why we had to buy him this year :?

You can't understand why we had to buy him this year...!!! what would you recommend then.. wait another season only to find another club had nipped in for him..... give me strength .!!!
I'd say other clubs are glad it was us that nipped in for him so far. I don't know what some of ye have been watching, but his decisions or distribution have shown no signs of getting any better...yet people are crying for him to play every game. I don't know if some think one day he'll rip his shirt off to reveal a superman costume and become a different person with different skill sets...also he's nearly 24 so he's no spring chicken

FantasyIreland said:

Mangala is one of three excellent centre halves that the boss is rotating as he sees fit.

We made a statement by securing a much sought after player,one with immense potential and probably the best available at the time........and many of his displays have justified that.

Would some of you have been content with Boyata as our third choice,and finding himself playing regular alongside Martin?
Seriously you really are a fanboy aren't you, at least some say he might come good which is a honest assessment, personally I can't see him ever being world class (as €32mil for a defender is world class value)..... As for your remark regards Boyata.... he, Rekik, Denayer, Nastasic could do little worse than Mangala has and they didn't cost €32mil

Wio Gumflapdinand said:
FantasyIreland said:

Seriously you really are a fanboy aren't you, at least some say he might come good which is a honest assessment, personally I can't see him ever being world class (as €32mil for a defender is world class value)..... As for your remark regards Boyata.... he, Rekik, Denayer, Nastasic could do little worse than Mangala has and they didn't cost €32mil

Fanboy? lol......

I'm just someone who recognises a player with natural talent and incredible potential,of course he has his faults......but none that I cant imagine wont be ironed out.

IanBishopsHaircut said:
VOOMER said:
the beast 18 mill gone
Fernando 14 mill dross
player's missed
Song on a free

All in all boarding on appalling, not gems uncovered and we still really on the same players bought 4 years ago to win.

Fuck Me

You ungrateful c**t

The lad is wondering why they are quibbling over paying 3.5 million for Scott Sinclair

You know, you are right....this is why I think we should buy Joey Barton back for €40,000,000.Is Stephen Jordan still playing, maybe a €20 million bid there too, because as you say we should just be delighted to watch our club waste money on not good enough and just be happy we have the money. So when does the time period of reflection on us being complete wank a while back end??? As I'd like to forget most of that period.

IanBishopsHaircut said:
VOOMER said:
the beast 18 mill gone
Fernando 14 mill dross
player's missed
Song on a free

Fuck Me

You ungrateful c**t

Some people right? I'm fucking amazed how easy it is to be clever in here in retrospect! All those players were dubbed to help us out at the time, and was players we needed!
Yet the worst part is peoples obsession with Sanchez, it id amazing sometimes..

chris85mcfc said:
FantasyIreland said:

I take it you haven't watched him live too often?

I can think of a couple of games where he has been very good, but umpteen where he has been a liability

And this nonsense about him being good on the ball is way off the mark. John Stones is good on the ball for a young defender, Mangala looks shaky

Season ticket holder, yes I have seen him on many occasions ..
The guys got a great future in front of him, what he doesn't need is fans who can't see the big picture moaning about him while he's learning to deal with a new league
New culture
New language
Give the lad time & support him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.