Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
who can't even get in the team!

Can you not see a bit of a pattern emerging here

Not sure how you come to the conclusion EM can't get in the team. Yes he didn't play against Arsenal which IMO was a mistake on the manager's part, but in terms of a pattern emerging there isn't one. Mangala has played an awful lot of football in recent weeks/months and I'm certain he'll start against Chelsea which IMO is a bigger game than the Arsenal one and a tougher one.

It's a shame we see so much criticism for a young defender - his categorisation as some sort of brainless defensive liability is completely at odds with the performances we have put in in the last two months with him a mainstay in the team. I'm not saying its you who said those things Chris, more a general point on the criticism he receives.

Anyway I'm still sure he'll prove to be a bargain in the years to come.

I've made a few posts in here in the last couple of days, but without actually looking at them, most of my comments have been more along the lines of the fact that we spent so much of our restricted budget on a defender that was on the bench in a big game, while a 35 year old defender was out on the pitch.

The point i was making was, and its in hindsight on my part (although id imagine the club knew what they were paying for in Mangala) if we were going to spend £32 million on someone during a restricted period, then perhaps it should have gone on a player that instantly improves the team, and not someone we are going to have to be patient with.

From what ive seen of Mangala up to now, im not convinced he will turn out to be the top class defender we're hoping for, although im willing to give him some leeway this season as its his first season, and unfortunately defenders of that age tend to make mistakes.

Dax777 said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
lasereyes said:
MDM has never to my knowledge been criticized for lack of pace. He is no gazelle and doesn't claim to be. The problem yesterday was giving the ball away. Which to be fair is quite uncharacteristic (plus he was hardly alone in that). So I'm not going to blame him for what could be an outlier game.
MDM task was not helped that Arsenal midfield had Silva covered every time, we had no Nasri, Milner was the invisible man and the two Brazilians never once wanted to recieve the ball...his options were very limited, and anyway have you seen Mangala on the ball and his ability to pass under pressure????
Mangala on the ball is a lot like Sahko on the ball, a point I made consistently all summer. But I was quickly shown a highlight video of how his clearances often went to team mates. But hey, his still young. But I still don't understand why we had to buy him this year :?

You can't understand why we had to buy him this year...!!! what would you recommend then.. wait another season only to find another club had nipped in for him..... give me strength .!!!

Exactly Joe,its that simple.

Mangala is one of three excellent centre halves that the boss is rotating as he sees fit.

We made a statement by securing a much sought after player,one with immense potential and probably the best available at the time........and many of his displays have justified that.

Would some of you have been content with Boyata as our third choice,and finding himself playing regular alongside Martin?

The real issue is who we have bought in the last 4 window's
Jovetic 20 mill injury prone but good not great
the beast 18 mill gone
Navas 14 mill important squad player
Fernandinho 28 mill hot and cold
MDM could have been bought on a free by far the best value for money
Fernando 14 mill dross
Mangala 30 mill hot and cold but you can see the quality at times.
Bony could have been bought for 8 mill less.
Lampard a desperate but good piece of business
player's missed
Song on a free
Sanchez if we hadn't wasted 14 mill on Fernando

All in all boarding on appalling, not gems uncovered and we still really on the same players bought 4 years ago to win.

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
who can't even get in the team!

Can you not see a bit of a pattern emerging here

Not sure how you come to the conclusion EM can't get in the team. Yes he didn't play against Arsenal which IMO was a mistake on the manager's part, but in terms of a pattern emerging there isn't one. Mangala has played an awful lot of football in recent weeks/months and I'm certain he'll start against Chelsea which IMO is a bigger game than the Arsenal one and a tougher one.

It's a shame we see so much criticism for a young defender - his categorisation as some sort of brainless defensive liability is completely at odds with the performances we have put in in the last two months with him a mainstay in the team. I'm not saying its you who said those things Chris, more a general point on the criticism he receives.

I've made a few posts in here in the last couple of days, but without actually looking at them, most of my comments have been more along the lines of the fact that we spent so much of our restricted budget on a defender that was on the bench in a big game, while a 35 year old defender was out on the pitch.

The point i was making was, and its in hindsight on my part (although id imagine the club knew what they were paying for in Mangala) if we were going to spend £32 million on someone during a restricted period, then perhaps it should have gone on a player that instantly improves the team, and not someone we are going to have to be patient with.

From what ive seen of Mangala up to now, im not convinced he will turn out to be the top class defender we're hoping for, although im willing to give him some leeway this season as its his first season, and unfortunately defenders of that age tend to make mistakes.

It's really easy to say "should have gone for a player who instantly improves the team" but it's much more difficult to do in practice. Especially at centre half. If I look around at those players who were available and/or who moved last summer I'd say that arguably we got the best centre half on the market. Do I think that Benatia is a better player? No, I don't. Rojo? Nope. The Arsenal sick note that Barcelona signed to solve their problems at the back? Nope. The point is, there isn't a crystal ball you can look into and say "well this guy is definitely going to improve us" because every transfer comes with it's own inherent risk. I think we got the best possible defender we could last summer and I don't think there's another player who moved in that position who you could argue is patently a more successful transfer.

If you want to talk about it more generally (i've just had a look at your posts as well and you seem to be arguing we should've signed Sanchez/Fabregas or someone like that). Well the issue with those players was two fold. Firstly, and this is something which people continually ignore when they talk about transfers, is the wages. Sanchez, Fabregas, (and Di Maria) are all earning in excess of 10 million pounds a year. Which is double the contract that Mangala is on. Part of our FFP restrictions were such that our wage bill could not be increased AT ALL from the 12/13 levels. On that basis I think it was a financial impossibility to bring in a player on that kind of wage/contract without first moving a player on that kind of wage/contract off the wage bill. We were moving on players like Javi Garcia and Alvaro Negredo so the players we brought in needed from a wage perspective to be on similar levels. Next you need to address the issue of playing time. Look at the City squad and then tell me what guarantees that Sanchez plays when Kun's fit? Nothing because Nasri/Silva/Yaya are central to our attacking play and in Pellegrini's 442 Sanchez/Kun wouldn't be the ideal pairing. I can make the same argument for Fabregas and for Di Maria. The reality is that those players all moved to clubs which were prepared to pay them money we weren't, and prepared to guarantee them football and a certain status within the squad which we couldn't because of the quality we already have in those positions.

I think it would've been very different had we sold Dzeko/Nasri, but we didn't we chose to give them new contracts and keep them because they'd just won the title which I think is absolutely right. In that situation with the restrictions we had, better the devil you know than trying to be too cute and offloading players who had just been instrumental in you winning two trophies.

VOOMER said:
the beast 18 mill gone
Fernando 14 mill dross
player's missed
Song on a free

All in all boarding on appalling, not gems uncovered and we still really on the same players bought 4 years ago to win.

Fuck Me

Why don't we top ourselves right now

You ungrateful ****

You want to know about having shite players?

Lad that sits next to me in work is a Long suffering Villa fan

The lad is wondering why they are quibbling over paying 3.5 million for Scott Sinclair

I dearly wish some of you self entitled fuckwits would get some perspective

Now that Vinnie is back playing I'd keep the VK and EM partnership together from now until the end of the season barring any injuries or suspensions. We will finish in the top two considering our current position and with the likes of aguero kompany dzeko Yaya and bony all being back relatively soon. The guy needs to settle and play alongside his future cb partner for a solid run of games. Swapping and changing will do him no favours and hopefully a good run alongside Vinnie will bring the best out of him.

FantasyIreland said:
Exactly Joe,its that simple.

Mangala is one of three excellent centre halves that the boss is rotating as he sees fit.

We made a statement by securing a much sought after player,one with immense potential and probably the best available at the time........and many of his displays have justified that.
Would some of you have been content with Boyata as our third choice,and finding himself playing regular alongside Martin?

I take it you haven't watched him live too often?

I can think of a couple of games where he has been very good, but umpteen where he has been a liability

And this nonsense about him being good on the ball is way off the mark. John Stones is good on the ball for a young defender, Mangala looks shaky

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:

It's really easy to say "should have gone for a player who instantly improves the team" but it's much more difficult to do in practice. Especially at centre half. If I look around at those players who were available and/or who moved last summer I'd say that arguably we got the best centre half on the market. Do I think that Benatia is a better player? No, I don't. Rojo? Nope. The Arsenal sick note that Barcelona signed to solve their problems at the back? Nope. The point is, there isn't a crystal ball you can look into and say "well this guy is definitely going to improve us" because every transfer comes with it's own inherent risk. I think we got the best possible defender we could last summer and I don't think there's another player who moved in that position who you could argue is patently a more successful transfer.

If you want to talk about it more generally (i've just had a look at your posts as well and you seem to be arguing we should've signed Sanchez/Fabregas or someone like that). Well the issue with those players was two fold. Firstly, and this is something which people continually ignore when they talk about transfers, is the wages. Sanchez, Fabregas, (and Di Maria) are all earning in excess of 10 million pounds a year. Which is double the contract that Mangala is on. Part of our FFP restrictions were such that our wage bill could not be increased AT ALL from the 12/13 levels. On that basis I think it was a financial impossibility to bring in a player on that kind of wage/contract without first moving a player on that kind of wage/contract off the wage bill. We were moving on players like Javi Garcia and Alvaro Negredo so the players we brought in needed from a wage perspective to be on similar levels. Next you need to address the issue of playing time. Look at the City squad and then tell me what guarantees that Sanchez plays when Kun's fit? Nothing because Nasri/Silva/Yaya are central to our attacking play and in Pellegrini's 442 Sanchez/Kun wouldn't be the ideal pairing. I can make the same argument for Fabregas and for Di Maria. The reality is that those players all moved to clubs which were prepared to pay them money we weren't, and prepared to guarantee them football and a certain status within the squad which we couldn't because of the quality we already have in those positions.

I think it would've been very different had we sold Dzeko/Nasri, but we didn't we chose to give them new contracts and keep them because they'd just won the title which I think is absolutely right. In that situation with the restrictions we had, better the devil you know than trying to be too cute and offloading players who had just been instrumental in you winning two trophies.

Top Post

IanBishopsHaircut said:
VOOMER said:
the beast 18 mill gone
Fernando 14 mill dross
player's missed
Song on a free

Fuck Me

Why don't we top ourselves right now

You ungrateful c**t

You want to know about having shite players?

Lad that sits next to me in work is a Long suffering Villa fan

The lad is wondering why they are quibbling over paying 3.5 million for Scott Sinclair

I dearly wish some of you self entitled fuckwits would get some perspective

Another Top Post.

To say our transfer dealings have been appalling is beyond me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.