Player topic: Frank Lampard (2014/15)

Re: Frank Lampard

Simple way of putting my response is, I think BigOscar's earlier post was a good one. I don't totally agree with it, but he/she makes a very good point. The reason why I didn't seek debate with him is because it's a fair assessment, where as you are indicating you know better than Pellegrini.

Now for the messy bit:

The Fat el Hombre said:
dobobobo said:
I never said you can't post an opinion, it's just my opinion that's yours is one formed on very little information.

My opinion is based on what I've seen on the pitch. Personally I think that's the most important place from which to judge a player and what they can bring to the team. Hardly 'very little information' at all, although I accept it's still early days in Lampard's stint at City.

Like I said, a hell of a lot of work goes on at Carrington for Pellegrini to know better than any of us how fit a player is.

dobobobo said:
As for the bit in bold, I agree, but if he had come on earlier perhaps that longer period would of been enough to win the match. You're talking about Frank Lampard as if he is a machine who can only operate for a set period of time.

Well that's where we disagree and that's my point here - I think that if we'd brought Lampard on after 55 minutes against chelsea then he would have been less likely to score a goal at all, as opposed to having more time to bag the two goals that would have got us the win. I think from what I've seen so far he's best used in a very short window of time (about 15-20 minutes) towards the end of a game. Dunno what the robot comment is about but yea, I do see him as an ageing player with a distinct lack of mobility these days who is best used for a very short period of time

Less likely to score a goal if he came on after 55 minutes? Whilst any player is on the pitch, they all have a chance of scoring. Thus, it's Pellegrini's job to know what each play can bring to a match. He knows better than any of us who the best options are. So, I really don't see how you can question Pellegrini's actions.

dobobobo said:
Thus, these two points resulted me in visually expressing myself through images obtained via Google Images.

Well done

Ta.

dobobobo said:
Less likely to score a goal if he came on after 55 minutes? Whilst any player is on the pitch, they all have a chance of scoring.

Well yea but that's a very simple view and it's not the point. Games go through different phases at different times. When we need a goal like yesterday I think it's better to leave it later than 55 minutes to bring lampard on as we're not (usually) turning the screw quite so much at the point and the opposition isn't as tired. It's often the last 15/20 where we really start to bombard their box and that's where and when you want a sharp Lampard on the pitch. Against chelsea it was timed perfectly - enough time for us to be pushing on for a goal and chelsea to be tiring but also enough for Lampard to make an impact, which he did

dobobobo said:
Thus, it's Pellegrini's job to know what each play can bring to a match. He knows better than any of us who the best options are. So, I really don't see how you can question Pellegrini's actions.

No shit. But do you agree with every single decision pellegrini has made? It's not even necessarily that I'm disagreeing with his decision here, just the timing of it. Doesn't mean I think I know better than Pelllegrini and doesn't mean that I don't think he's a top manager and he's doing a good job

Sigh said:
mcfctomlad said:
I love him at city
Likewise. I hope we play him as much as he can stand; whether it be 32m 32s, 16m 37s or even *gasp* a full 45 in a steady 12 knot breeze (13 might prove too much for owd Frank).

I agree.....at 36 years old, I'm not sure Frank could play a full half at full speed but he seems to do best when he comes on around the 60th minute when the game has slowed down alittle....that's when he is at his best.....that's also normally when Pelle changes formation so we have another fresh pair of legs playing along side him in midfield....picking him up on loan was a very smart move by City! Just alittle concerned with Yaya and Frank before leave in Jan/Feb.......could leave us short when we want to go more midfielders and one up front.....

Bluewonder said:
BigOscar said:
To be honest, Lampard looks more like a striker than a midfielder now. He's still got that goal threat, but his work other than that is not anywhere near top level midfield play. He doesn't do any defending and he doesn't really get involved in the build up, he's pretty invisible untill the final third. But that seems to be his strength, he seems to ghost into dangerous areas. No way should he be starting games, or used in a midfield two, but he looks a very useful player to bring on for the last 10-15 minutes when we need a goal and can afford to abandon our midfield a bit. I wouldn't want to be needing him to do anymore than that though.
Totally agree. Even when he was at his peak he gave the ball away a lot. Phenomenal finisher, though.

Frank Lampard gave the ball away 'a lot'?

Stoned Rose said:
Bluewonder said:
BigOscar said:
To be honest, Lampard looks more like a striker than a midfielder now. He's still got that goal threat, but his work other than that is not anywhere near top level midfield play. He doesn't do any defending and he doesn't really get involved in the build up, he's pretty invisible untill the final third. But that seems to be his strength, he seems to ghost into dangerous areas. No way should he be starting games, or used in a midfield two, but he looks a very useful player to bring on for the last 10-15 minutes when we need a goal and can afford to abandon our midfield a bit. I wouldn't want to be needing him to do anymore than that though.
Totally agree. Even when he was at his peak he gave the ball away a lot. Phenomenal finisher, though.

Yeah, he always has done.

It is definitely much better to play Frank from about 60/70mins onwards. When a team like Villa have worked extremely hard all game to try and defend there are two types of players they will not want to see. One type of player is the pacey direct player who will stretch their weary legs, the other is the type of player with a brilliant football brain who will have watched the game and identified points of weakness to exploit. A defensive midfielder may have tracked one of our midfielders running into the box all game, but may fail to do so that single time that leads to a chance.

It happened with Villa - Yaya was given slightly more space then he had been given up to that point. What we see with Frank is an ability despite his limited pace and energy now, to find space and to get shots on goal. He doesn't try to pass it unless there is a pass on. He doesn't take too many touches. He finds space, finds half a yard and shoots. In every game he has featured he has had excellent chances to score and that is because of his willingness to find half a yard.

I'm no cynic said:
Bluewonder said:
Stoned Rose said:
Stats or opinion?
Just from watching him over the last ten years or so. He always seemed to give the ball away a lot for someone who's perceived to be a top CM.

Bluewonder said:
I'm no cynic said:
Bluewonder said:
Stats or opinion?
Just from watching him over the last ten years or so. He always seemed to give the ball away a lot for someone who's perceived to be a top CM.

You need to give your head a fucking big wobble.Year after years Lamps was always one of the top midfielders who seldom gave the ball away.I suggest you go look on the stats to show you are entirely incorrect in your opinion.Pass completion was 80% and above.
Unbelievable Jeff !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.