Player topic: Jesus Navas (2014/15)

Woeful performance yesterday.
Couldn't cross, beat his man or make pass when in a dangerous position (one exception that Arsenal were lucky to clear).
Confirms my opinion that he is only good enough to be a sub for a top team - when an injection of pace against a tiring defence will give him the space he needs for the inadequacies of the rest of his game.

Navas isn’t a typical winger, he’s much better in possession than a usual winger, his first touch and passing ability mean he can play alongside Silva, Nasri and Yaya and not look out of place. However, the sacrifice for this is that he’s not tricky in the sense that he’s not going to dribble at the fullback, throw a trick and go past him. If he gets half a yard he might knock the ball past the opponent and chase it, but he’s not a Hazard/Sanchez/Giggs type player. This clearly frustrates a lot of the crowd as they simply expect wingers to run at and beat the fullback every time they get the ball.

His crossing also seems to frustrate the crowd, but because we play a system based on retaining possession, Pellegrini wouldn’t be too happy if Navas was playing percentage balls into the box, i.e. knocking it into a dangerous area and hoping for the best. As such, he only tends to cross the ball if he can see an opportunity to find a blue shirt. This results in him seeming to find half a yard and then cutting back. Yesterday his crossing was poor, but like everyone he’ll have off days. However, at least he was an outlet, he may not have produced a decent end product very often, but at least he was creating the opportunity to do something. Silva was marked out of the game, one of his best skills is usually finding pockets of space but yesterday he really struggled, due mainly to Arsenal leaving no room between midfield and defence. Milner offered nothing down the left and was rightly replaced at half time and Aguero clearly wasn't fit as his movement was nothing like it usually is, he wasn’t running channels, he wasn’t dragging defenders away creating space, he just seemed to be waiting for a chance to present itself.

I like him but his crossing is poor he should whip it in first time plus he should 99% of the time pass the Zab when he overlaps, have you noticed he never does

Looks to me like he likes to play it safe, when I think of it I'm not sure if I've ever seen him fouled as he likes to keep his distance from a defender and not get them to commit. You would imagine with his pace by now he'd have won us a couple of pens darting in to the box. It's the same everytime with him. Frustrates the life out of me, he really does.

Got in work this mornin and my boss (an evertonian) said what the fuck does Navas offer your team? I've seen him 5-6 times and he's been shit every time! I'd normally stick up for our players but let's be fair it was all true.

He's not even close to being good enough for Manchester City & he's extremely fortunate to find himself playing us. To be honest, I think he would even struggle at a mid table club.

He doesn't score goals and he doesn't create them. That's a big problem for us when we have injuries or other players aren't on form.

It's not his fault he isn't good enough though. He always gives 100% and works hard to help out the fullback.

Well over the last few games or so, he's been shocking. Pissing about with it until he gets tackled and we loose possesion due to him not playing it in first time
And when he manages too, No one is ever on the end of them! and his corners are equally as bad lets be honest.
Really needs too pick his game up & fast if we're still to challenge for the league.

ManCityX said:
He's not even close to being good enough for Manchester City & he's extremely fortunate to find himself playing us. To be honest, I think he would even struggle at a mid table club.

He doesn't score goals and he doesn't create them. That's a big problem for us when we have injuries or other players aren't on form.

It's not his fault he isn't good enough though. He always gives 100% and works hard to help out the fullback.

He has our most assists in the league this season, and has created more chances than any of our other players too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.