Player Topic: Jesus Navas (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Aguero was firing Navas would have the most assists in the league at the minute..the amount of times he put it on a plate and the chances were not finished. His work rate will definitely be missed and ok his crossing needs improving at least he occupies two defenders when we attack. .like some have said "scapegoat"...I think he's great.
Am I the only one who thinks we'll miss him when he goes? He's not top top drawer, but he's an excellent winger who plays his position well, pinning the opposition fullback back, spreads the pitch, supports our full back, I think he gets far too much stick that's not deserved.
For me it's in the middle. Navas may have found Aguero a few times but none have been on a plate for me, the times when it should have been on a plate Navas has failed to make up his mind & the chance never appears. People either over hype his "work rate" or put too much emphasis on his "terrible crossing". He's a decent winger, but nothing more, certainly not as good or bad as people on here make out.

For those who say his work rate is great, that's all fine & dandy but you gotta have some end product with it, you must be able to see the point of frustration for the guys calling for his head.

And those that call for his head must also see how having a winger who hugs the touchline frees up so much space for our AM & helps with the defending, even if you hate his crossing it's still worth appreciating that side of it.

For me we've needed a higher quality winger for quite a while, whether KdB eventually takes that role when Silva is back we'll have to wait & see. Until then whilst Navas isn't world class, he certainly does a job.

Where would that put Peter Barnes, Peter Beagrie, and Dennis Tueart. Navas`s work rate is admourable, shame he isnt tricky enough to beat his man or find a cross IMO

Retired is the best answer I can think of!

With all due respects, those 3 and Navas are playing in a whole different era and are (by in large) up against a whole different style of football.

Navas is constantly playing against a packed out defence with 2 defenders doubled up on him in a deep deep defensive line. He's got nowhere near the space to run into which some of the past greats have. It makes things difficult, and in today's game it makes it difficult for any winger and not just Navas against that sort of opposition tactics.

I'm not suggesting he should start every single game, but he is most definitely a valuable asset who we'd be worse off without.

He's the only player that we have that gives us genuine width. Sterling, Silva, Nasri and KDB will frequently drift into the middle when playing out wide which leaves the centre very congested. At least with Navas playing it stretches the defence and creates more room for others.

It's not easy to find your man when your target isn't a player who isn't going to win a lot in the air (which pretty much forces a low cross) and you have 3 or 4 players between you and him. We need to get a few more bodies in the box and players making near post runs or getting into position for the pull back.

Retired is the best answer I can think of!

With all due respects, those 3 and Navas are playing in a whole different era and are (by in large) up against a whole different style of football.

Navas is constantly playing against a packed out defence with 2 defenders doubled up on him in a deep deep defensive line. He's got nowhere near the space to run into which some of the past greats have. It makes things difficult, and in today's game it makes it difficult for any winger and not just Navas against that sort of opposition tactics.

I'm not suggesting he should start every single game, but he is most definitely a valuable asset who we'd be worse off without.

"With all due respects, those 3 and Navas are playing in a whole different era and are (by in large) up against a whole different style of football".

all Navas has is speed, all 3 mentioned could beat a man by dribble or with pace and could score goals.

I dont want this to develope into a Navas slagging excercise, but that doesnt mean you should ignore what he can or cant do week in week out

"With all due respects, those 3 and Navas are playing in a whole different era and are (by in large) up against a whole different style of football".

all Navas has is speed, all 3 mentioned could beat a man by dribble or with pace and could score goals.

I dont want this to develope into a Navas slagging excercise, but that doesnt mean you should ignore what he can or cant do week in week out

I canot see your argument. Those three mentioned could do what they did playing the teams they did in the football being played back then. Put Navas in those sides all those years ago playing the teams then and the way football was more open and i'm sure he would do as well if not better.

Spin it the other way, would those three be as effective in today's modern game where, inevitably they would be up against two rows of five more often than not.

Navas brings more to the table than many bring him credit for and as I have posted previously, the sum of his good stuff far outweighs what he is not so good at.

That's maybe the reason he is on the team sheet more often that not. Just a thought

Who let the goat out?

Why do we always need to find an escaped goat at City.

I must admit when we first bought him and he played some great football, an example being one cross he looked up a couple of times whilst dribbling and picked out Negredo (I think), I thought we'd be getting more now. He does however help the team as tracks back beautifully and as with Sterling stretches the defence.

I do want and expect more from his assists and shots though.

I canot see your argument. Those three mentioned could do what they did playing the teams they did in the football being played back then. Put Navas in those sides all those years ago playing the teams then and the way football was more open and i'm sure he would do as well if not better.

Spin it the other way, would those three be as effective in today's modern game where, inevitably they would be up against two rows of five more often than not.

Navas brings more to the table than many bring him credit for and as I have posted previously, the sum of his good stuff far outweighs what he is not so good at.

That's maybe the reason he is on the team sheet more often that not. Just a thought

My argument is that with the amount of time Navas is on the ball very little comes of it. he is limited, he only has pace, he is a poor finisher and struggles to beat his man and get a cross in.

As I said he`s like the Duracell Bunny and I cant call him for lack of effort just IMO his effectiveness.

My argument is that with the amount of time Navas is on the ball very little comes of it. he is limited, he only has pace, he is a poor finisher and struggles to beat his man and get a cross in.

As I said he`s like the Duracell Bunny and I cant call him for lack of effort just IMO his effectiveness.

If that's all you are measuring him on then that is rather focussing on his weak area and ignoring his overall contribution. As I say, the reason he is playing week in week out is surely testament to his effectiveness.

If that's all you are measuring him on then that is rather focussing on his weak area and ignoring his overall contribution. As I say, the reason he is playing week in week out is surely testament to his effectiveness.

ok what can we agree on.
1. his ability to track up and down with the same energy for the whole 90 minutes (Duracell Bunny)
2. his lack of finishing ability.
3. his pace.
4. his lack of ability to beat a man and get a good percentage of crosses in for the amount of service and he gets.
5. he gives his fullback support.

ok what can we agree on.
1. his ability to track up and down with the same energy for the whole 90 minutes (Duracell Bunny)
2. his lack of finishing ability.
3. his pace.
4. his lack of ability to beat a man and get a good percentage of crosses in for the amount of service and he gets.
5. he gives his fullback support.

I'm sure some people think Navas just stands at the opponents area and crosses to the opposition whenever he gets the balls. He usually does pretty well to get into those positions in the first place. His play in tight spaces is exceptional at times. Yes his crossing should improve but it's blown out of proportion I think mostly because a few pundits have had snide digs and some fans don't realise that trying to get it to Aguero amongst a crowd of ten west ham players or the like is actually quite difficult no matter how many times you work yourself into a position to try it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.