Player Topic: Nicolas Otamendi (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the one where his last ditch tackle blocked ighalo from a free shot on goal after mangala miscontrolled a pass straight to him. Ottamendi is a very good defender. He's in a new league playing a crazy defensive system next to a baby elephant. I think he doing remarkably well considering.

That was a decent block to his credit, You'd be questioning him if he didn't make it though and it doesn't excuse the other two chances.

I disagree with you saying Otamendi is a very good defender. From what i've seen from him this season, I think he's a very very good tackler but not a great defender. Too erratic, caught out positionally far too often, chases the ball like a dog after his favourite toy and dives in at the first chance he gets. I think Pep will sort a few of those issues out and with peps history of converting players i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him line up in midfield from time to time next season.

You are correct. He was pretty poor tonight but ultimately Watford's only goal was an own goal and they didn't get many chances otherwise. Not sure why Otamendi and Mangala don't work so well together but it does seem to be the case.

You're right. It wasn't my intention to slate otamendi, but found myself pointing out his mistakes in defence of Mangala with the unjustified abuse he's received. I think they probably would work together given proper instructions from a manager that can set up a defence.

Thought he was poor today. Don't think he's any better than Mangala. He just gets away with murder on here for some reason. Got sent to the shops 2 or 3 times today which all should have lead to goals.
Sure. He was beaten once by a great Ighalo halo turn. The other was a good positioning, he got nut egged but the ball went to Dihno, who cleared it poorly.

I think Otamendi is slowly becoming the new Yaya. There are some who spend their time focusing on his mistakes as opposed to his overall performance. The guy made 6 tackles 5 interceptions 4 headed clearances in the box, 4 attack starting passes out of the back was beaten once by Ighalo, Capoue actually lost the nutmeg and got it back off Dihno's poor clearance. But somehow some concluded he was poor.

They keep trying to convince themselves his position ally poor, yet he intercepts more passes the whole of the rest of the back four consistently, always in play to make a tackle, yet rather than applaud that, some conclude he is being rash. The same folks who were whining when Mangala backed of Moses. For Palace's goal are now complaining about the defender who jumps into the tackle quick.

It's laughable really. Thought he was 2nd or 3rd best player today. Dihno, Ota, Yaya, Sagna.

Sure. He was beaten once by a great Ighalo halo turn. The other was a good positioning, he got nut egged but the ball went to Dihno, who cleared it poorly.

I think Otamendi is slowly becoming the new Yaya. There are some who spend their time focusing on his mistakes as opposed to his overall performance. The guy made 6 tackles 5 interceptions 4 headed clearances in the box, 4 attack starting passes out of the back was beaten once by Ighalo, Capoue actually lost the nutmeg and got it back off Dihno's poor clearance. But somehow some concluded he was poor.

They keep trying to convince themselves his position ally poor, yet he intercepts more passes the whole of the rest of the back four consistently, always in play to make a tackle, yet rather than applaud that, some conclude he is being rash. The same folks who were whining when Mangala backed of Moses. For Palace's goal are now complaining about the defender who jumps into the tackle quick.

It's laughable really. Thought he was 2nd or 3rd best player today. Dihno, Ota, Yaya, Sagna.

Moses??

I agree.

It's glaringly obvious that he can only play on the left of the central defence; he's a different player entirely there.

He's had a mixed start to his career here and we can only hope it's just a gradual process settling into the English game.

It's laughable to think the pairing of him and Mangala cost us £80m....

It's glaringly obvious that he can only play on the left of the central defence; he's a different player entirely there.

He's had a mixed start to his career here and we can only hope it's just a gradual process settling into the English game.

It's laughable to think the pairing of him and Mangala cost us £80m....
I think he is actually better on the Right, he just plays on the left when Kompany is available. That's simply a Seniority thing. Mangala isvthe only CB who prefers starting in the Left, the other 3 are more right sided guys, but Otamendi is the most amenable to moving over to the left and the newest member.

last two away games the two most prolific PL strikers have bagged nothing against Otamendi in defence.

Twice yesterday he cleverly hoofed the ball up field to create some great space for the front line.

Ighalo turned him once, didnt do it twice though.

He needs to start marking Kolarov on corners though :-)

Totally agree. Also, he is very comfortable with the ball at his feet and not afraid to bring it forward. Great signing, who will mature nicely with us

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but don't see any comparison with Yaya. That aside, I am a fan. He has the tools, the strength and the courage. His judgment and instant decision-making need work though - over the past 5-6 games, we have seen quite a few instances of missed tackles and unnecessary lunges, bordering on thuggery at times. Things that will cost us in tight games. One thing you don't want to get is a reputation as a street bully - hell refs are already all too ready to point to the spot when anyone falls over in our box. I think he would benefit a lot from playing with Kompany for a length of time, which unfortunately seems destined not to happen any time soon. Given MDM looks a spent force, I would give Sagna a try at CB with Zabaleta at RB. Just to provide another backup in case of suspensions or injuries. And we have no choice to persist with Mangala, who is a total curate's egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.