Players season ratings

I don't disagree with you Neville.

Yep, stats are just a historic record of events and facts - how often, how many, how much, how far etc etc - and can be useful as indicators but, as you infer, without context they mean jack shit.
Then there is the world of analytics which tries to interpret the stats to predict future performance. That's another world entirely.

Well I suppose if you had one player who statistically & with the human eye, had a history of playing well vs another player, it would be a pretty good idea to pick him vs that team.

Robbie Keane v Richard Dunne springs to mind.

My contribution in the KDB thread was minimal - 1 short post only if IIRC. Your response to my post (and other posters who picked up on the BS facts behind your opinion) bordered on War and Peace. A bit like now actually.

I'll get working on an algorithm that explains my views in one line of code, make it easier for you to digest. ;-)

Hart 7.5 mainly reliable,some great performances

Caballero 6 (extra point for lg cup)

Sagna 7 solid season, limited going forward.

Zabs 5.5 injury plagued,hoping he gets fitness back in summer,may get a swansong next season.

Clichy 7 see Sagna comments

Kola 5.5 Started well,ultimately dissapointed.

Demichelis 4.5 Struggled,not his fault the manager kept faith for far too long/ often.

Mangala 6 Started OK became inconsistent,not surprising due to the defence ever changing.

Otamendi 6 Also OK,positioning terrible at times,defends off the front foot though,which is why we bought him presumably.

Kompany 6 Generally played ok when fit

Fernandinho 8 player of the season Imo.

Fernando 7 improved

Delph 5.5 injured,looked OK at times,not his fault he gets picked as he's fairly limited.

De Bruyne 7.5 Very good in the main but went missing in a few big games(albeit played out of position) also injured at a key stage of season.

Silva 6 disappointing buy his standards

Sterling 5.5 occasionally good,more often average at best,can't cross or shoot very well,needs confidence to come back.Next season make or break.

Navas 7 due to his work rate,occupying defenders and decent attitude.Based on his crossing and shooting he'd have got about 4.

Yaya 5.5 the odd good game, interspersed with more disappointing ones,past his best.

Aguero 7.5 Mostly good,another one who didn't always step up when it mattered though.

Kelechi 7 Should have played more.

Bony 5 Not as bad in some games as some fans make out.Not his fault he kept being picked,would help if we had wingers who could cross,we don't play to his strengths and never really have,ultimately he's been a very poor buy.

Not going to pick out individual posts but I will reiterate that it is easy to dismiss stats (lies, lies and damned statistics) and it is unfortunate that they are even referred to as stats due to the negative connotations the word often has. They would be much better be described as performance indicators, which are an essential part of running any professional operation and many top managers in football pay them a lot of attention these days. Some will be delighted that Pep is not a stats disciple; although, funnily enough, his coaching staff point them out to him!

The point about performance indicators is that they should not be used in isolation so football stats are not a substitute for what the eye sees at the game or for video analysis, they are just part of the armoury for those trying to analyse performance. The absolute fact is that the eyes play tricks and people can be swayed by their bias. Whilst the stats recording for football are not always perfect, they are consistent measures and capture huge amounts of data. The whoscored algorithm is an attempt to consolidate lots of measures into one number. It can't be perfect but if you look at who it indicates are the best performers in the league this season, it picks out many of the same players as the PFA team of the year, including player of the year. So whoever designed it may actually have had some appreciation of the game. I said when I posted the figures, they would not be how I would score things, if I could be bothered to, but I think they make a useful comparison to the scores people are coming up with for themselves.

Not going to pick out individual posts but I will reiterate that it is easy to dismiss stats (lies, lies and damned statistics) and it is unfortunate that they are even referred to as stats due to the negative connotations the word often has. They would be much better be described as performance indicators, which are an essential part of running any professional operation and many top managers in football pay them a lot of attention these days. Some will be delighted that Pep is not a stats disciple; although, funnily enough, his coaching staff point them out to him!

The point about performance indicators is that they should not be used in isolation so football stats are not a substitute for what the eye sees at the game or for video analysis, they are just part of the armoury for those trying to analyse performance. The absolute fact is that the eyes play tricks and people can be swayed by their bias. Whilst the stats recording for football are not always perfect, they are consistent measures and capture huge amounts of data. The whoscored algorithm is an attempt to consolidate lots of measures into one number. It can't be perfect but if you look at who it indicates are the best performers in the league this season, it picks out many of the same players as the PFA team of the year, including player of the year. So whoever designed it may actually have had some appreciation of the game. I said when I posted the figures, they would not be how I would score things, if I could be bothered to, but I think they make a useful comparison to the scores people are coming up with for themselves.

that's different to posters arguing we should sign someone based purely on the stats posted on here, which is where some of this debate has stemmed from.

Nice post sir - I think along the same lines but you expressed it far better than me.

I must re-read Pep Confidential but I thought Pep was an analytics guy.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...ells-us-how-pep-guardiola-has-embraced-stats/

Last edited:
Literally can't believe some of the marks/comments for Sagna & Clichy. Both are a complete liability - if you're looking for reasons for our declining performances then look no further.
In stark contrast imagine us without KDB/Sergio where would we be?
And they're getting similar ratings!?

Hart 6
Willy 4
zabba 4
sagna 6
demi 1
otamendi 5
mangala 5
vinny 4
clichy 7
Kolarov 0
navas 5
Fernando 6
Fernandinho 6
yaya 2
nasri 5
silva 5
sterling 2
Delph 3
kdb 8
nacho 7
aguero 7
bony 1

Think that is fairly accurate , (there really has been some shocking performances and unfortunate injuries to some of our players), disagree with Fernandinho , he's been available week in, week out , my player of the season and an eight out of ten

Hart 7
Caballero 5.5

Sagna 6
Zabaleta 5
Kompany 5
Otamendi 5
Mangala 6
Demichelis 3
Clichy 7
Kolarov 4

Navas 5
Nasri 5
De Bruyne 7.5
Sterling 4
Silva 5
Toure 5
Fernandinho 8
Delph 6
Fernando 6

Agüero 7
Iheanacho 7
Bony 5

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.