Playing sport as you get older

Crown Green Bowls is the way forward ! I play twice a week, Costs £1 a game and the beer at the clubs with greens is usually £4 a pint. Team game with individual pressure to perform. Me and my mates formed a team when we stopped playing football 12 years ago. We have a good crack and it’s a competitive sport against the older guys, some of whom play 5 times a week!

Last edited:
I did a Yoga or Pilates class whilst on holiday last - it was fucking really hard and I was drenched within a few minutes.

It should be something that is educated into us all as it would help alleviate a lot of issues.

Needless to say, I don't do any of it but moan like fuck when I pick up injuries...........
To be fair, if it's just physical, then stretching regularly is just as effective as yoga. I live in Asia, and if you go to any park early in the morning or evening, it's full of old people stretching. I've never seen that in the UK.

To be fair, if it's just physical, then stretching regularly is just as effective as yoga. I live in Asia, and if you go to any park early in the morning or evening, it's full of old people stretching. I've never seen that in the UK.

Ha ha no chance of that here. If they're not getting soaked by the almost incessant rain they'd be dodging the drug dealers, doggers, muggers and machete gangs trying to kill one another.

Hitting my early 40s I’ve decided to take on playing a few sports again to keep my body ticking over after stopping while kids were toddlers.

But Christ alive I’ve no idea how some people have the energy, dedication and body to do it.

I’m playing football and tennis and seemingly every week I pick up some new injury and my body is really feeling it.

Do people still try and keep fit and active or just accept old age while slowly turning into a fat unhealthy mess who spends too much time watching tv and the internet - which seems very tempting right now?
Youngster..... I am hitting 50 soon. I have found that you need to make sure that the equipment you use is right for your body, so with footy are they the comfiest / most supportive trainers for you? Warm up and warm down have also helped me and my running, back in the day it used to be trainers on and off I go, now its stretch - walk - run. And then cooldown is walk - recovery tub - stretch. I also treat myself to a sports massage every month to find the hidden knots that you do not notice that can lead to injuries.

When I've walked past Sackville Gardens en route to Piccadilly station in the morning, I've often seen elderly men and women doing stretching exercises. To be fair, they all appear to be of Chinese descent.

Good work, though is that really classed as a sport?
It's good for the mental health as well as the walking. Today was a big Senior Open at Ashton GC, 192 players altogether, ages 55 upwards, the craic with friends can't be underestimated especially for those who live on their own, some in their 80's, not much other sport most people of that age can compete in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.