Possible new stadium - some interesting information

ManCityX said:
Some people here seem to act like City will be the first ever side to redevelop a stadium.

Over the past decade United have had the North Stand redeveloped and unroofed mid season, the Stretford end redeveloped and unroofed mid season and the stand opposite that redeveloped and unroofed mid season. Not forgetting that we played without a roof on the Kippax (in a 'building site' lol) from August until around March when it became all seater.

The talk of us not playing on a 'building site' and having to close the ground is so basic and stupid that I sometimes wonder if my opening sentence is actually factual. Anyone who thinks we won't play without a roof for a few months because we will be thrown out of the league, is quite frankly a bit weird.

Also when City redevelop, the roof for the rest of the stadium will obviously be supported by temporary support structures.

The difference between the swamp and the CoMS is the roof design, to develop one stand at the swamp is relatively easy because each roof is a single structure unlike the CoMS which has a single roof, each section is dependant on the other. Removing the roof would take too long and it would become a hugh building site resulting in H&S issues never mind the PL rules it is unlikely we would get a license to hold games there.

kramer said:
ManCityX said:
Some people here seem to act like City will be the first ever side to redevelop a stadium.

Over the past decade United have had the North Stand redeveloped and unroofed mid season, the Stretford end redeveloped and unroofed mid season and the stand opposite that redeveloped and unroofed mid season. Not forgetting that we played without a roof on the Kippax (in a 'building site' lol) from August until around March when it became all seater.

The talk of us not playing on a 'building site' and having to close the ground is so basic and stupid that I sometimes wonder if my opening sentence is actually factual. Anyone who thinks we won't play without a roof for a few months because we will be thrown out of the league, is quite frankly a bit weird.

Also when City redevelop, the roof for the rest of the stadium will obviously be supported by temporary support structures.

The difference between the swamp and the CoMS is the roof design, to develop one stand at the swamp is relatively easy because each roof is a single structure unlike the CoMS which has a single roof, each section is dependant on the other. Removing the roof would take too long and it would become a hugh building site resulting in H&S issues never mind the PL rules it is unlikely we would get a license to hold games there.

Is it all one though? I know it looks like it, to the eye, but it was only ever built with 3 sides having a roof at the start, so surely that means each side is removable without threatening the stability of the others?

Pigeonho said:
kramer said:

Is it all one though? I know it looks like it, to the eye, but it was only ever built with 3 sides having a roof at the start, so surely that means each side is removable without threatening the stability of the others?

Yes it is all one although the North Stand was structure was missing for the games the primary roof structure, the cable-net, was in place

Pigeonho said:
kramer said:

The cabling, anchor points and spirals etc were in place they added the stand and rood panels later.

ManCityX said:

You obviously have no idea of construction nor of health and safety regulations

The redevelopment of CoMS would be a unique situation and is not comparable with what has happened at other sporting venues and to do so is, in your words, so basic and stupid

Playing without a roof with respect to football authorities r&r IMHO I would expect we would obtain a temporary dispensation

There may well be ways of constructing temporary supports for the roof whilst a section is removed but it would not be easy due to the pre-tensioned cables involved.

One thing is a fact the roof design does not allow for an easy extension of the stadium and this is something that Dennis Tueart confirmed on Radio Manchester a year or so ago. DT sat on the stadium committee and was told this by Arup

LBH, the Rags may have extended OT and made it the largest stadium in England, but it's a f***ing pigs ear inside(and outisde). Those that went to the semi-final and stood in the K-Stand upper tier will testify. Internal grey breeze block walls, hiedous concrete and metal stairwells, a small, dark and gloomy concorse, poor seats, poor leg room and a hideous low roof.

Don't let any rag tell you OT is any different, because it ain't.

Having COMS really shows how lucky we are, even though it's not perfect.

jrb said:
LBH, the Rags may have extended OT and made it the largest stadium in England, but it's a f***ing pigs ear inside(and outisde). Those that went to the semi-final and stood in the K-Stand upper tier will testify. Internal grey breeze block walls, hiedous concrete and metal stairwells, a small, dark and gloomy concorse, poor seats, poor leg room and a hideous low roof.

you forgot to mention the shit view and the dangerously small stairwells

jrb said:

This. I went to OT for the England qualifier in 01', (the Greece game). Me and are kid just sat there at times, taking the piss out of the stadium and its poorness, much to the annoyance of the southern united fans who, like me, were also experiencing their first time in the stadium.

Of course the roof can be removed in sections..! it's not a prefab thing that was lowered into place..!
But as has already been pointed out these people don't do things by halves, we are more likely to end up with a new stadium which will be the best and most original design in the world.

blumoonrises said:
Of course the roof can be removed in sections..! it's not a prefab thing that was lowered into place..!
But as has already been pointed out these people don't do things by halves, we are more likely to end up with a new stadium which will be the best and most original design in the world.

No it can't

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.