Post Match Thread: City vs Spurs

It's right on every point.

This is the rock and a hard place we have arrived at.

We don't hurt teams enough with Sergio up on his own. Fernando stays as the screen and there's no problem. It only becomes the problem because Pellegrini has to change it to create more chances.

In essence, it's all still done to accommodate Yaya remaining on the pitch.

Kelechi isn't Yaya, but it's still the logical choice because the team can play the percentages a whole lot better.

It provides the extra punch we needed but also allows Fernandinho to carry the ball, knowing his legs can still get him back in, with Fernando already offering the back-four the protection they had removed.

It's the same, every week. Yaya played okay yesterday, but his legs have gone and he is shoe-horned into this team, regardless of not being effective enough wherever he is.

Yaya needs to be Vieira in his spell at City, a closer, help turn tight leads into relatively comfortable wins. He shouldn't start.

We seem to perform best with 2 upfront as that gets the best out of Aguero. That means playing two workers in the middle with instructions to get the ball to our danger man, nothing flash. If we're leading after 60 mins take off a forward and get Yaya and deny the opposition the ball. Get the battle won and then bring on Yaya. Worked very well against Palace and should be the blueprint for the rest of the season.

Anyone mentioned the Danny Rose incident when Kane was down injured? He had the ball just inside his own half and Zab was marking him. He (Rose) made as though he was going to put the ball out then suddenly ran past Zab with the ball. He then put it out further down the pitch but Zab was absolutely fuming and would have chinned him if Kompany hadn't intervened.

Didn't think Rose covered himself in glory at all yesterday. Bit of cnut !

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with this. Spurs were playing really deep and passing the ball accross their back 4 for long periods, trying to encourage us to press them, and leave space in behind. That's how they battred us at WHL, they were just running through us from the half way line, we couldn't cope with them on the break.

Yesterday it was crystal clear that we'd been instructed to hold our shape, not press the ball high up the pitch, let Spurs have the ball in their own half, and then try to break on them ourselves with Yaya, Sterling and Aguero.
Good post even though I don't necessarily agree with a few bits. When I saw the team, I was happy as we had two covering midfield players in front of the back four and Toure where he should be, at number 10. It was very similar to the Derby, where neither side wanted to attack the other. We held our shape, which is something I've criticised us for not doing enough in the past. No one played great but no one (apart from Aguero) played badly. The two Ferns sat and were generally anonymous but that's because they really didn't get involved in going forward that much. Fernando had a couple of dodgy moments but did a solid enough job.

Our problem was that we were sloppy in possession, winning the ball back then gifting it back to Spurs within a couple of passes. We seemed to have lost our previous ability to retain possession. We only started to cut loose a bit after the penalty and I do wonder what the plan would have been if that hadn't happened. What was disappointing was that we reverted to type with the second goal and opened up like the Red Sea. No one seemed to take responsibility and go to the ball, which will be something Pep addresses.

In hindsight, taking Fernando off was probably the wrong decision but we were going for it at the time.

Clattenburg yes the mans incompetence never ceases to amaze indicative of the FA and the way all football supporters are treated . We were cheated , Spurs won by cheating , and as a consequence of this the rest of the premier league was cheated . Nothing will be done Clattenburg the apalling will go unchecked . The all encompassing usual diatribe of excuses will continue . At the very least he should be suspended from refereeing premiership games . Do not footballers suffer the same fate miss timed tackle, deliberate handball, racking up points, (suspension) etc ?

It's right on every point.

This is the rock and a hard place we have arrived at.

We don't hurt teams enough with Sergio up on his own. Fernando stays as the screen and there's no problem. It only becomes the problem because Pellegrini has to change it to create more chances.

In essence, it's all still done to accommodate Yaya remaining on the pitch.

Kelechi isn't Yaya, but it's still the logical choice because the team can play the percentages a whole lot better.

It provides the extra punch we needed but also allows Fernandinho to carry the ball, knowing his legs can still get him back in, with Fernando already offering the back-four the protection they had removed.

It's the same, every week. Yaya played okay yesterday, but his legs have gone and he is shoe-horned into this team, regardless of not being effective enough wherever he is.

Shoehorned is the word. He isn't a number ten, by any stretch of the imagination. When he could sprint, he was closer. But he is now a veteran in any position & needs help. I see him as a deep playmaker surrounded by the right blend of players, or in a cameo role.

We play him in the 'star' positions & sacrifice the team in the hope he does something to win us the game(s).

Good post even though I don't necessarily agree with a few bits. When I saw the team, I was happy as we had two covering midfield players in front of the back four and Toure where he should be, at number 10. It was very similar to the Derby, where neither side wanted to attack the other. We held our shape, which is something I've criticised us for not doing enough in the past. No one played great but no one (apart from Aguero) played badly. The two Ferns sat and were generally anonymous but that's because they really didn't get involved in going forward that much. Fernando had a couple of dodgy moments but did a solid enough job.

Our problem was that we were sloppy in possession, winning the ball back then gifting it back to Spurs within a couple of passes. We seemed to have lost our previous ability to retain possession. We only started to cut loose a bit after the penalty and I do wonder what the plan would have been if that hadn't happened. What was disappointing was that we reverted to type with the second goal and opened up like the Red Sea. No one seemed to take responsibility and go to the ball, which will be something Pep addresses.

In hindsight, taking Fernando off was probably the wrong decision but we were going for it at the time.

If he set up like this against Leicester, West Ham, Liverpool & Arsenal away - we would have more points today - just wish he would do it - he has the capability to see it He even tinkered with swapping Sterling and Silva - Rose was getting too much space in 1st half because Silva was coming inside - by swapping them - Sterling held the line well to help Zabba and we were then having them on both wings

MP does have it but is not doing it unless he is being forced to

The fact no one can even decide on Yayas best position or how best he can contribute to the team speaks volumes to me regarding his inclusion in our set up.Certainly in my mind he is much more a problem than a solution

The fact no one can even decide on Yayas best position or how best he can contribute to the team speaks volumes to me regarding his inclusion in our set up.Certainly in my mind he is much more a problem than a solution
It's because he cannot play any one position without players from other positions helping him out. He needs to be carried by his teammates, but he's nowhere near effective enough anymore to make that a worthwhile tactic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.