Post Match Thread: City vs West Ham

I didn't see it that way at all. They have two very under-rated centre-backs, but in general I didn't think they played that well. They couldn't keep the ball, and normally City would show a bit more quality in the final 1/3rd. We lost that game partly because Nasri and SIlva, were out and the other big players like Aguero, and Toure also underperformed. I thought we had two players who played well: De Bruyne and Demichelis. I don't buy this City will play worse and win. When you continually hit the byline time and time again and then pull the ball back and don't find a City shirt that is bad play.

It's their defending that impressed me. 27 shots on goal and they still kept it out.

He was wank but this is the risk of only having him available. He wasn't good against Juve either.
I thought Kolarov was really poor against Juve, especially in the first half but if there's one positive to be had is that this bad week has certainly brought us back down to earth with a bump which at this stage of this season is probably the best time for it to happen. Up until we scored against WHU and taking Juve into account too, we'd gone from played 5, won 5, scored 12 to conceding 4 before a reply and losing 2 in the process.

Hopefully now we can fully regain our focus for the season ahead and address the problems unmasked by the 2 recent defeats, namely Kun and Bony are both out of form, Kolarov is becoming the weak defensive link he's always been, Nasri is a No 10 and unless we play with just one defensive midfielder he and Silva should just be cover for each other.

On a final note, if we ever needed Nasri as a No 10, it was yesterday. With Sterling - Aguero - Nasri - KDB as our starting front 4, I reckon we'd have had a different result yesterday.

Two very weird defeats in the space of five days. Again I thought we were much the better side, created loads and loads, but just couldn't get through the parked bus. It happens. I thought Pellegrini was premature in making the Bony sub, as although Sterling hadn't been great again, we were still causing them untold problems. The change seemed to shift that momentum again and took us a little while to start attacking with any real intent once he came on. Other than that though it's hard to fault anyone really. I thought the debutants Otamendi and KDB were excellent. We tried various different tactical routes past their parked bus, and in the end the difference for me was that Kun had a very very poor day in front of goal.

Oh and Navas. Has a player ever frustrated and flattered to deceive as much as him.

Nice reality check though in terms of the competition we will face each and every week in this league. West Ham got the breaks and did what Palace, and many other sides are capable of doing, but maybe hadn't so far.

I've not read the entire thread but my thoughts for what they are worth.
1) Apart from first 30 minutes I thought we played well. West Ham similar to Juventus got two goals from minimal attacking. That could be crap defending on our parts or just plain bad luck.
2) Substitutions - bizarre. Thought Sterling and Navas were both causing trouble and our best chance was to tire them out. Putting on the immobile Bony and taking off a wide man defied logic. Putting on the youngster at the end but leaving the other two strikers on was just silly.
3) Referee - weak and should have seen through West Hams tactics.
4) Time wasting - part of the game these days and if we are to progress in Europe we need to become a lot more savvy in our use of them.
5) Overall - a bad week but we have not played badly and a wake up call at this stage of the season may help.

We had enough chances to win that game 5 times over. West Ham just got lucky.

Did we really though? We had 27 shots but only 8 on target. Of those I can't remember their keeper making any more than 2 or 3 decent saves.

We created a few half decent chances but need to do far far more. There's not many matches where we'll take every chance we get, so in a game where we only create 2 or 3 top chances with so much possession then that's nowhere near enough.

I don't know what the answer is, but the problem for me is the lack of clear cut chances primarily then not being clinical enough secondary.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.