Premier League meeting to discuss salary cap?

People said the same thing about the Chinese league a few years ago.
100% tax rates, and huge restraints on laowei/weiguoren put that to bed.
They threw money at it and loans, crippling most clubs, before government-interference hammered it.

The Arabian-state is a different barrel of oil though. Longevity and investment in facilities, leisure and entertainment with academies, plans and structure tend to follow. There is scope for more though. Football has many great stages.

Agree totally, if the cap placed is fair and balanced and not a load of shit like ffp was.

It's bizzare people would take issue with this.
It won't be fair and balanced though, will it. They're not going to set it so that Brentford can suddenly start competing with United for players. They're going to set it at a level that means the big 6 clubs (us included) remain miles ahead of everyone else. It's more protectionist nonsense from the cartel boys.

The motivation is clear as day; they always thought they'd have the edge over us in income terms (that's why they set the current rules as they are). Now we've surpassed them, they want something that will bring us back down to their level.

I'm all for something that is fair to the entire league, but this won't be it.

Agree totally, if the cap placed is fair and balanced and not a load of shit like ffp was.

It's bizzare people would take issue with this.

Why is it bizarre to think the players deserve their fair share of the income they generate?

Same nonsense as during COVID when everyone was moaning at the players to take a pay cut when the focus should have been on the clubs and owners giving them the wages they were contracted to and earned.

Why is it bizarre to think the players deserve their fair share of the income they generate?

You realise the costs are passed onto us right?

I agree with Jordan's take on the matter, which is the only way people are going to have cheaper access to football is if the model becomes somewhat capped in terms of salaries.

I agree with Jordan's take on the matter, which is the only way people are going to have cheaper access to football is if the model becomes somewhat capped in terms of salaries.

City's match day revenue is £54m.

Players wages are like 57% of revenue on the most recent figures. (£353m on £612m revenue). To blame the players for price hikes is naive, the tickets could be free and the club would be fine financially.

Put a cap on ticket prices then. Much easier to implement, and the players' wages would follow automatically. Players only get paid an absolute fortune because the revenues the league generates nowadays are insane. There's a reason that Premier League players get paid twice as much on average as Serie A players, and it's not that Premier League chairman are artificially subsidizing their salaries to sportswash their country, as some would have you believe.

But let's be honest, it's not going to happen. Clubs have spent a fortune of borrowed money building or upgrading stadiums on the assumption of a particular return. I can't imagine any restriction on that income would stand up in court, so they have to try and artificially restrict their outgoings instead. Easier to screw over players than huge companies.

I would love to be a fly in the wall in one of these meetings. You can imagine meeting one. 'OK boys n girls, let's get our heads together for ideas on how we can stop them dirty oil cheats Manchester City. Write all your ideas down and throw them in this hat,we'll discuss these ideas after first break'. Tea and biscuits are at the back of the room. Well you vile venomous ****s, whatever you try doesn't work!!

I would love to be a fly in the wall in one of these meetings. You can imagine meeting one. 'OK boys n girls, let's get our heads together for ideas on how we can stop them dirty oil cheats Manchester City. Write all your ideas down and throw them in this hat,we'll discuss these ideas after first break'. Tea and biscuits are at the back of the room. Well you vile venomous ****s, whatever you try doesn't work!!

The main culprits are already spending money, we have money that we have earned to burn. They are after the Geordies or any other club that tries to join the big table.

That's the one thing I don't get, why are prices to watch football going up and up whilst the profits for clubs are huge because of TV deals etc.

The focus should be on making it a cheaper deal for fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.