Premier League meeting to discuss salary cap?

Yes they bloody should, and it isn't old cartel shit at all, if Luton get money they should be able to spend it.

You might like the yank fucked up model but it isn't happening here.

Both systems have flaws and positives, but to just dismiss one which has quite clear benefits - then it comes across as small minded.

Particularly your comment about women in sport - says it all really.

Both systems have flaws and positives, but to just dismiss one which has quite clear benefits - then it comes across as small minded.

Particularly your comment about women in sport - says it all really.

If you think having a salary cap is the way to go or that women can play in a mens professional league then it's no use conversing with you in the language designated as English.

So that's nanu nanu shazbat and out.

This will only work if all other major leagues follow the same rules. And guess what? They won't. This will probably harm the PL in the medium to long term if they implement this market distortion.

A salary cap is like trying to limit the number of billionaire entrepreneurs in the world. It's just totally silly stuff.

What the PL should be looking at is debt levels and cash flow. A business can only run out of cash once.

This will only work if all other major leagues follow the same rules. And guess what? They won't. This will probably harm the PL in the medium to long term if they implement this market distortion.

A salary cap is like trying to limit the number of billionaire entrepreneurs in the world. It's just totally silly stuff.

What the PL should be looking at is debt levels and cash flow. You can only run out of cash once.

The premier league is the biggest league in the world making the most money and is the richest it has ever been mate, what sort of an idiot wants to change that system?

The ones on the way down is the correct answer ;)

This just isn't true, if you compare say the PL to the NFL since the year 2000 - there have been 13 different winners of the championship in the NFL since that time.

There have been 6 winners of the PL since the 2000, but I am keen to hear your logic?
All franchises granted by the same parent company which blocks any competitor. It is a stagnant system which more or less forces players to sign for clubs thousands of miles away they have no interest in or be locked out.

But ten years ago, the TV money for the bottom club was only about £40m.

TV money rising is the main reason that wages have gone up.

And paying higher wages means you get better players, which makes the league more attractive, which increases the TV money.
I wonder what the Regulator’s position would be on any wage cap. Especially if it’s designed to tilt the playing field in favour of clubs with the highest revenue. The whole thing stinks just like “UEFA coefficients” and all that shit and yet the cheeky bastards try to call us “cheats”.

But it doesn't tilt the field in favour of the clubs with the highest revenues, it penalises the clubs with the best commercial performance, as it is based only on broadcast revenues. Which is the point, I suppose

This just isn't true, if you compare say the PL to the NFL since the year 2000 - there have been 13 different winners of the championship in the NFL since that time.

There have been 6 winners of the PL since the 2000, but I am keen to hear your logic?
Lots of factors such as the draft, the NFL ownership of kit income, league organisation into conferences. You can’t just ascribe it to salary caps. Besides my point was of general application about interference with market norms and I stand by it.
There are parallels in other markets, see e.g. UK Water where the regulator
reduced some companies‘ plans to invest in sewage works; that worked out well!
See also UK G5 technology lead disappeared to Korea when Brown limited the home market to high prices. See Chinese property crash. Many more!

US bidding for teams aside, I actually think there is a lot of good elements to those models. Drafts and salary caps do actually allow for different teams to compete across the board, where good recruitment and player development sets teams up for run at play offs etc.

If we had a 'salary cap' in place, then you have a much more even playing field regardless of the size of club.
No relegation or promotion. Football would split in two like Rugby IMO

But it doesn't tilt the field in favour of the clubs with the highest revenues, it penalises the clubs with the best commercial performance, as it is based only on broadcast revenues. Which is the point, I suppose
Bang on. It's no coincidence that these talks have started at a time when City's revenues have skyrocketed. For years we've been told to drive up our income if we want to spend more on wages. Now we have done, they want to shift the goalposts again. It's chronic fucking laziness from the usual American-owned suspects.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.