Premier League's own FFP restrictions?

Re: City and Utd at conflict over FFP in today's Telegraph

Wreckless Alec said:
Hart of the matter said:
This, to me, is more worrying than the FFP issue in Europe. We know that whilst the rest of Europe will flout the rules, at home in the Uk we will apply them to the letter and beyond in order to be seen doing the right thing. I have not been too bothered by FFP up to now but see trouble ahead.

I'm quite enjoying this. The fact that United are sufficently worried to go to the lengths of attempting to drive through rules which essentially award trophies on the basis of trading results give lie forever to any claims that their recent success is due to anything other than money.

That clubs like Fulham are prepared to support them shows that their owners have no aspirations to success on the field but are more interested in maintaining premier league status presumably to line their own pockets as best they can without actually winning anything. How long their fans will put up with that at £50 a pop is anybody's guess but it's the TV revenue that counts. Whether that will always be the case given the lack of competition inherent in the proposed rules is another matter

From our perspective, all we have to do is maintain our staus is Europe and we'll be "in the club". As others have said, a bit of creative accounting and we can get around any of these rules.

In all fairness WA, Fulham have mildly opposed it according to the article.

Cobwebcat said:
southern muppet said:
We are in the top 10 clubs on the planet by revenue, in terms of the Deloitte Money League. This is revenue, money generated.

We are in the best position of any club outside the sky four.

If we won the league and CL this season, we'd surely not only break even but report a profit in the next set of financial figures. It's arguable that with just another title win alone we could break even, assuming no major expenditure on players in the next 8 days or in January.

In short, is there not an argument that we need not give too much of a fuck?

Why should have to preserve them? Even if we were part of their self-interest club I'd still want it to be at least possible for Everton or Villa to do what we have...and Chelsea can fuck right off too..we've got our revenue up by investing but you can't so ner.

I agree, I am just saying we are not QPR, we are one of the biggest clubs in the league, organically.

Would it not also be the case that we tow the line in England and all the World Class players shun the Premier League for more relaxed and wealthy foreign clubs in Russia or China for instance?

Hart of the matter said:
Football is global. This will drive players to find better salaries outside Europe. China, Brazil etc are on the rise. Soon, we will be unable to attract or keep the best. TV revenue will follow. Restrictive trade practices in a global economy are madness. Basic business practices of Speculate to accumulate will no longer be allowed. People want football run as a business ? Well many real businesses go bust. Football has always relied on external investment.

Don't worry, I'm sure the rules with be 're-evaluated to best suit the current climate', as soon as it looks like they're killing the golden goose.

To be honest the funniest part about all of this is Liverpool being slap bang in the middle of it. There couldn't be a more perfect example of a club with an entitlement complex throwing it's toys out of the pram. "But we're a big club, look at all our overseas support, we deserve to be winning trophies!!! Waaaaahhhhhhhhh". Fuck off.

Zubrman said:
Would it not also be the case that we tow the line in England and all the World Class players shun the Premier League for more relaxed and wealthy foreign clubs in Russia or China for instance?
i don't think the americans really care about that

they are using a tried and tested model of buying into a franchise, driving down wage costs in order to make a profit

they care little for the quality of the goods for sale

adrianr said:
Hart of the matter said:
Football is global. This will drive players to find better salaries outside Europe. China, Brazil etc are on the rise. Soon, we will be unable to attract or keep the best. TV revenue will follow. Restrictive trade practices in a global economy are madness. Basic business practices of Speculate to accumulate will no longer be allowed. People want football run as a business ? Well many real businesses go bust. Football has always relied on external investment.

Don't worry, I'm sure the rules with be 're-evaluated to best suit the current climate', as soon as it looks like they're killing the golden goose.

To be honest the funniest part about all of this is Liverpool being slap bang in the middle of it. There couldn't be a more perfect example of a club with an entitlement complex throwing it's toys out of the pram. "But we're a big club, look at all our overseas support, we deserve to be winning trophies!!! Waaaaahhhhhhhhh". Fuck off.
This - sucking up to the scum - whinging, self centred. cowardly scouse coonts

LoveCity said:
Is this something we should be worried about? Not only FFP for Champions League but Premier League. What a surprise the established elite support it, scummy aristocratic clubs - Mohamed Fayed is completely right.

-
Manchester United and Manchester City split by proposals on Premier League financial controls
Manchester United and Manchester City are on opposite sides of a new divide in the Premier League: whether the competition should introduce its own Uefa-style financial fair play regulations.

At the League’s annual meeting the idea of tighter financial controls being imposed on clubs was advanced by Liverpool. It gained the support of a number of their rivals, including United’s chief executive, David Gill, who had previously helped shape Uefa’s ground-breaking Financial Fair Play rules.

The delegation from Arsenal is believed to have spoken up in favour. The club’s owner, Stan Kroenke is, like Liverpool’s John W Henry and United’s Glazer family, familiar with restrictive financial regulations through the US sports franchises they own. West Ham United’s joint chairman David Gold also gave his approval.

Gold told The Daily Telegraph: “I was involved in bringing in the FFP rules in the Championship and at the time I thought should I get to the Premier League, I’ll lobby for it. I made it abundantly clear we shouldn’t be doing nothing. David Gill was marvellous. He made lots of sense. Even the big clubs now are saying we have to get to grips with costs.”

But the subject was not unanimously supported. Manchester City, whose owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan , subsidised spending with £43.3million in cash between June 1, 2009, and the end of May 2011, are believed to have cautioned that they would prefer to manage their business as they see fit.

Fulham, whose rise through the leagues was financed by ‘soft’ loans from the chairman, Mohamed Fayed, have also historically expressed the view that they would not endorse a system that “kills the dreams” of others. However, this time they did not push back against Liverpool’s proposal.

It all meant the Premier League executive staff have been tasked with drawing up a report on what proposals could be introduced. One option would be to adopt wholesale the Uefa FFP regulations.

Both Chelsea and United were instrumental in developing these, which require clubs to break even within a margin of “acceptable deviation” of €45 million (£35.5 million) over the first two years of their formal implementation – next season and the following.

Chelsea and United are confident of meeting Uefa’s rules despite their inclusion not just of cash expenditure but accounting charges relating to historical spending under “amortisation”. However, City will find that particularly challenging.

Their Premier League champions’ operating loss in the 2010-11 season alone – the most recent for which accounts are available – was £194.9 million. Even though some areas of this spending will be discounted as allowable, the discounts are unlikely to bring operating losses under FFP to within the £35.5 million cushion over two years.

David Gill, Manchester United’s chief executive, has told Parliament: “We were involved through the European Club Association, as were other clubs, such as Chelsea, who were on the working group to develop those proposals with Uefa.

“It made sense and was for the benefit of football clubs could operate within their own resources and it would bring about a limiting effect on player cost, in terms of transfers and wages.

“We are comfortable with it. The critical issue will be around implementation and the sanctions around that, and making sure that it is appropriately applied. But I do not think anyone can criticise the objective of ensuring that clubs operate within their own resources.”

How to guarantee compliance would be one of the biggest challenges of a new Premier League regulatory regime and this month Henry expressed his concerns about Uefa’s will to impose its own FFP regulations. But that view contrasts with recent Uefa actions.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld Uefa’s expulsion under financial fair play rules of Besiktas. The Turkish club will be banned from the next two European competitions for which it qualifies over the next five years.

The English top flight is the only league in the country not to have its own cost-restraint framework. Leagues One and Two have both implemented salary capping while the Championship has introduced a financial fair play system for this season based on the Uefa model. Championship clubs flouting Football League rules will be hit with a transfer embargo.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9493345/Manchester-United-and-Manchester-City-split-by-proposals-on-Premier-League-financial-controls.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rols.html#</a>

So UEFA ffpr will prevent teams playing in the champions league,what will the premiership ffpr prevent teams from doing ?? FA cup League cup.. wow.

mike channon´s windmill said:
adrianr said:
Hart of the matter said:

Funny thing is, the rags were all too happy to let Liverpool and Arsenal fall by the wayside (and have a jolly good chuckle about it), now we're after their bollocks they all jump in the same bed together, pure unadulterated fear.

Can see both sides of the argument. Those 'established' clubs will have hated what Chelsea did and what we did. Same with the smaller clubs years ago who watched Fulham buy their berth in the PL. On the other hand though, if an owner owns a club he/she should be able to do what they want with it. Don't think it's anything to worry about though as we have done our major spending through the Sheikh's spending and now we will start to generate income from winning competitions and use that to fund our signings.

Dirty Harry said:
mike channon´s windmill said:
adrianr said:

Funny thing is, the rags were all too happy to let Liverpool and Arsenal fall by the wayside (and have a jolly good chuckle about it), now we're after their bollocks they all jump in the same bed together, pure unadulterated fear.

It's hilarious. Thing is though, providing we keep doing well on the pitch, coupled with us increasing revenues off it, we could be totally unaffected by any FFP regs that the Premier League might bring in - you'd have to think such rules would be 2 or 3 years at the very least from being enforced and by then the City "juggernaut", as someone else on this thread put it, may well be totally unstoppable.

Bit of a pisser for those clubs aspiring to do what we've done though. I wonder how Forest fans and their owners feel about this?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.