PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir suspended after 4th official accused of racism

Looking at things it seems that the Romanian 4th official identified a player based on his skin colour rather than just pointing him out. The Romanian word for "black guy" sounds like "negro" - one player thought he heard negro and kicked off - Demba Ba has a better understanding of the language so recognised he meant the "black guy" and hadn't said "negro" but even so recognised it as lazy racism.
The idea that in a matter of seconds they could orchestrate things into a manoeuvre to stop someone being sent off is unlikely but the attitude of the official - i.e. he demonstrates that he holds one teams players to be of lesser value to the others is clear ( I bet he would have said Mbappe or Neymar had it been the reverse not "the black guy" ) which then gives them grounds to protest that the officiating team cannot be trusted in their eyes to play fair.
The big question now is what if the official gets found guilty do UEFA do about it? Their usual lame job?
What do they do about İstanbul Başakşehir ? Their usual instinct would be to come down on them like a ton of bricks but the eys of football will be on them.
He would of said Mbappe or Neymar because he knows who they are as does everyone. An assistant from the back room staff is different, he wouldnt of known them most likely

Good luck, have fun!

giphy.gif

Well, it can be, depending on the context, as is the case with nearly any term.

Whether it was in this case — if that is all that was said and truly is it’s usual meaning in his language, unlike, say, “negro” in Spanish, which can be completely benign *or* very racist — or was simply ineptitude run amok, is yet to be seen.
Agreed. But the context of describing somebody as black to identify them certainly isn’t racist, which some have alluded to. It’s like saying the blonde guy, or ginger guy, or Asian guy or white guy, which again certainly isn’t racist.

I don't know all the facts and what actually happened but tbh in the US, when I am in a packed room, I have seen people calling me as the Asian guy when they didn't know my name and I never found that racist.

I think there's some context we may not know about too.

If he's pointing at Webo and aggressively saying 'the black one, the black guy over there' in an attempt to get him sent off, then yeah it might not be too difficult to see why they were pissed off about it. Whether it was actually racist or not.

If he's just quietly saying the 'black one, the black guy over there' then it's still iffy contemporarily, but it seems less offensive. I do suspect this was not the case however.

Either way, I'm probably out of my depth.

Agreed. But the context of describing somebody as black to identify them certainly isn’t racist, which some have alluded to. It’s like saying the blonde guy, or ginger guy, or Asian guy or white guy, which again certainly isn’t racist.
I don’t think it is necessarily overt racism.

But I do think it can be a form of lazy, often unintentional racism. The sort that makes others feel less-than without anyone specifically meaning for it to have that effect. Especially in the context of never hearing the same person or people referring to others as “the white guy”.

As with all things in life, it’s more complicated than simply determining a binary state of “it is or it isn’t”, for the same reason you allude to: context is rarely simple, either.

But, even all of that ignored, given the current climate and the stage he was on, I think most of us can agree it is pretty stupid to say it at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.