PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir suspended after 4th official accused of racism

Racism is shit.

I cannot rent certain houses, I cannot enter certain bars, I will be questioned by the police at random times to check I have a visa.

I was hit by a car recently, one of the first question the police asked me was "do you have a job here?"

People dont' sit next to me on the train, some old guys spit on the floor as I walk passed.
Most companies won't hire me because of my race etc etc,

People go deeper than skin-colour, sadly that's all people want to talk about and divide each other with.

Looks like there's been a fairly big twist in this story

Missed this yesterday, and haven't really seen it reported anywhere. Guess the facts will come out in the investigation, but as always there are two sides to every story. I actually thought it would die down if it was simply a misunderstanding over the Romanian word for black (negru) but both teams seemed to double down on their protests last night if anything.

Missed this yesterday, and haven't really seen it reported anywhere. Guess the facts will come out in the investigation, but as always there are two sides to every story. I actually thought it would die down if it was simply a misunderstanding over the Romanian word for black (negru) but both teams seemed to double down on their protests last night if anything.

It is intersting that it's not been picked up by the major news outlets.

Webo obviously said something because it takes quite a lot for a 4th official to actually go to the referee and insist someone is sent off. Whether that was calling the Romanians gypsies...I guess we will find out eventually but it would be hugely embarrassing if he did.

I have a bad feeling that when the full report comes out, the reaction from the players will look a bit ridiculous and the usual suspects* will use it as proof that racism isn't a real problem in football and wider society and it's just being blown out of proportion.

*(that's not directed so much at BM posters, but the Farage & Fox and other media or social media personalities)

It is intersting that it's not been picked up by the major news outlets.

Webo obviously said something because it takes quite a lot for a 4th official to actually go to the referee and insist someone is sent off. Whether that was calling the Romanians gypsies...I guess we will find out eventually but it would be hugely embarrassing if he did.

I have a bad feeling that when the full report comes out, the reaction from the players will look a bit ridiculous and the usual suspects will use it as proof that racism isn't a real problem in football and wider society and it's just being blown out of proportion.
As this thread has demonstrated

Out of curiousity, do these Asian countries that you visit for work have hundreds of years of history dictated by invasion, colonisation, imperialism, persecution and pseudo-slavery over the country you originate from??
I’m sure Italians (Romans invaded, murdered, raped and pillaged, and made slaves of us), Norwegians and Danes (Vikings invaded, murdered, raped and pillaged, and made slaves of us), Icelanders (Norse men took British women as sex slaves to start a population in Iceland, all native Icelanders can trace their DNA to Norse men and British sex-slave women), Northern Frenchmen (Norman’s invaded, murdered, raped and pillaged, and started a genocide against Northerners) all have derogatory terms about the British.

I don’t give a shit that they do and wouldn’t take offence if they called it me.

I also don’t think Romania has a history of invasion, colonisation, imperialism, persecution and pseudo-slavery over black people neither.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody alive today can remember British colonialism, nobody alive today has been directly negatively affected by it (I’m using the word directly carefully there). Nobody alive today is guilty of doing it either.

Demba Ba has benefited greatly from European culture. He became a millionaire because of it. He became a hero to all when he scored past Liverpool for Chelsea too.

Does that give anyone the right to be racist to him? Absolutely not.

It doesn’t give him the right to play a victim card about European colonialism though, when he’s not experienced it. (Not that he’s doing that at all I’m pointing out why the above poster on this thread is wrong).

We really need to get back to the individual and judging these things on what specific people have experienced and what specific people have done.

I am no more guilty for the British Empire than Ba is for Africans enslaving and committing genocide against other Africans.

There seems to be a self hatred among some, about what their country has done in the past and this thing called “white guilt”. It’s what is fuelling, alongside virtue signalling, the BLM movement in the UK and the hysteria that goes with it. It’s not your fault, you weren’t alive, move on and start treating people as individuals and with dignity.
Good post!

By that logic, it would be fine for Chinese people to use racial slurs against black people, because they never colonized any African countries. The reason, I suspect, that Bluearmy isn't offended by a particular name given to him in an Asian country that singles him out as a foreigner is because for all intents and purposes, white people are generally singled out as high-status individuals in these countries, not low status people. They are given privileges that other races don't get. Ask Filipinos or Nigerians how they're treated in certain Asian countries and you'll realise that racism now isn't solely linked to the colonial history of the country in question.

In Thailand, Thais keep out the sun as much as possible to avoid having black skin. It’s not because they don’t like having a ‘tan’, it’s because white Thai’s are the ones that normally have decent jobs that are indoors and not on rural farms which they are exposed to the sun every day of the year. Thai’s get into light hearted arguements about their colour of skin regularly, so to me racism is different in many cultures around the world.

Racism in this country is clear, as we know our language and it’s our own culture and we can easily identify what is racism and what isn’t. How can we possibly know the context of a Romanian guys language when we don’t speak Romanian?

In Thailand, Thais keep out the sun as much as possible to avoid having black skin. It’s not because they don’t like having a ‘tan’, it’s because white Thai’s are the ones that normally have decent jobs that are indoors and not on rural farms which they are exposed to the sun every day of the year. Thai’s get into light hearted arguements about their colour of skin regularly, so to me racism is different in many cultures around the world.

Racism in this country is clear, as we know our language and it’s our own culture and we can easily identify what is racism and what isn’t. How can we possibly know the context of a Romanian guys language when we don’t speak Romanian?
Our definitions and crossing-lines for racism are only ours (although there may well be other countries who have similar). They aren’t universal. All cultures are different, and our barometer for what is racist will not be the same in other cultures.

That also doesn’t mean that what we deem to be racist is right and other cultures’ is wrong. That in itself is discriminatory against other cultures. Other cultures might not be so quick to take offence over small things that aren’t actually meant as discriminatory, which is actually something we could take a leaf out of.

Take Bernardo Silva and Edinson Cavani. What they both Tweeted is not deemed racist in their cultures. But to our definitions it was and we deemed it worthy to take issue with them over both incidents. Instead of chastising Bernardo and Cavani as racists, we should have just informed them the differences in our cultures so they know it to do it in future while living in this country.

Bernardo should never have been banned and Cavani shouldn’t neither.

What comes out of this CL incident with the ref would be hard to judge because how many of us actually know the cultural crossing-lines for what is racist in Romania? And who is to say that what was actually said was descriptive rather than discriminatory anyway?

Racism is shit.

I cannot rent certain houses, I cannot enter certain bars, I will be questioned by the police at random times to check I have a visa.

I was hit by a car recently, one of the first question the police asked me was "do you have a job here?"

People dont' sit next to me on the train, some old guys spit on the floor as I walk passed.
Most companies won't hire me because of my race etc etc,

People go deeper than skin-colour, sadly that's all people want to talk about and divide each other with.
That's awful mate (If you're not pulling legs?)

Can I ask where you live?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.