PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir suspended after 4th official accused of racism

I still laugh (if you didn’t you’d cry) when they fined us more for being late out onto the pitch than Porto for their fans racially abusing our players.

Then there’s the whole CSKA Moscow farce, which, even though I didn’t have a ticket nor was planning on going, haven’t forgiven them for.

That said, taking a stand when it’s not needed dilutes how seriously people will take stands in future. I am not saying it wasn’t needed in this case, we’ll have to wait and see, I just don’t think accusations of racism should ever be made that strongly until the evidence is there.
But they haven't reacted even when it was there, so while I accept your caveat, I still think this cage rattling is, on balance, a good thing.

Our definitions and crossing-lines for racism are only ours (although there may well be other countries who have similar). They aren’t universal. All cultures are different, and our barometer for what is racist will not be the same in other cultures.

That also doesn’t mean that what we deem to be racist is right and other cultures’ is wrong. That in itself is discriminatory against other cultures.

Take Bernardo Silva and Edinson Cavani. What they both Tweeted is not deemed racist in their cultures. But to our definitions it was and we deemed it worthy to take issue with them over both incidents. Instead of chastising Bernardo and Cavani as racists, we should have just informed them the differences in our cultures so they know it to do it in future while living in this country.

Bernardo should never have been banned and Cavani shouldn’t neither.

What comes out of this CL incident with the ref would be hard to judge because how many of us actually know the cultural crossing-lines for what is racist in Romania? And who is to say that what was actually said was descriptive rather than discriminatory anyway?
What Bernardo got charged for was laughable

As the usual posters on here double down on their ignorance to the issues
Add to the discussion then & impart us with your knowledge mate, instead of stating posters are ignorant which adds nothing to the discussion. I'm all for discussing each others opinions as it's one of the best ways to learn.

I think in general there’s a lot of confusion as to what constitutes racism. For some racism is just the n word or calling someone a monkey.

It runs so much deeper than that though. It’s about how the media portray different races in general, subconscious bias that leads to different races being stopped more by the police or being more likely to be turned down for an important job role.

Believe it or not a lot of people think a lot of the issues in the previous paragraph don’t happen, or if they do, they aren’t racism. As I mentioned, these people only see clear racial abuse as an issue and fail to see that the other elements are often even more painful.

Yeah, calling someone a name can be offence and hurtful but it’s the other stuff that dents reputations and leads to lasting damage.

Last edited:
That's awful mate (If you're not pulling legs?)

Can I ask where you live?
I'm serious,
I live in Japan, which sounds absolutely crazy right?

People think everyone here are super nice and polite all the time but they have a very ugly side that you wouldn't see if you don't live here.

But they haven't reacted even when it was there, so while I accept your caveat, I still think this cage rattling is, on balance, a good thing.
UEFA haven’t no, you’re correct but two wrongs don’t make a right.

It may not be a good thing when people become tired of false accusations and lives are ruined through reputations damage, though.

The 4th official with mental health issues takes his own life (please God I think we all hope he doesn’t) or if he loses his job as a scapegoat and the cage rattling isn’t justified.

I'm serious,
I live in Japan, which sounds absolutely crazy right?

People think everyone here are super nice and polite all the time but they have a very ugly side that you wouldn't see if you don't live here.
Wow, that's certainly news to me but goes to show that racism has nothing to do with colonisation. Are you considering staying there & putting up with it or likely to move elsewhere?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.