PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir suspended after 4th official accused of racism

I think we are straying off topic here. If you wish to have a wider discussion about racism in society, as some of you clearly do, then I suggest starting a separate thread in Off Topic or the Political subforum. Let's keep this thread specifically about the incident at Parc des Princes on Tuesday evening. Thanks.

I think we are straying off topic here. If you wish to have a wider discussion about racism in society, as some of you clearly do, then I suggest starting a separate thread in Off Topic or the Political subforum. Let's keep this thread specifically about the incident at Parc des Princes on Tuesday evening. Thanks.
I agree. I created a thread in off-topic forum.

Reactions: Ric
It does indeed run much deeper. Which is one of the reasons I would rather racists be openly racist with their comments than not. Racist actions such as you've mentioned are far more damaging than name calling. I'm not a huge fan of positive discrimination as I think it should be whoever is right for the job. However, unfortunately, I believe it's still a necessity in the UK, which is pretty sad really in 2020.
Just worth noting positive discrimination based upon race is as illegal as any other form of discrimination. I think you mean positive action? - It's a subtle but important distinction to make.

I think the fact that there's so many differing opinions on this incident, each with their own merits, really highlights the difficulty in making the correct strides forward in a case like this.

I think the fact that there's so many differing opinions on this incident, each with their own merits, really highlights the difficulty in making the correct strides forward in a case like this.
Yeah, I'm happy to see the players finally walk off the pitch and refuse to accept racism, but I wish they'd done it with a more black and white incident. Pardon the pun.

The definition of racism:
"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized."

If the fourth official has referred to him as "that black guy" then it surely does not meet that definition.
Here, let me highlight your own words as there's so many to decipher...

Yeah, I'm happy to see the players finally walk off the pitch and refuse to accept racism, but I wish they'd done it with a more black and white incident. Pardon the pun.
It is obviously clear cut to them though, and that is what is important. The grey area is amongst observers who disagree on things. The important thing here is those that were there, saw it heard it and were involved in it all saw fit to take the action they did. As Ric pointed out in his post this morning, there is more info available now and a clearer picture developing

What if the bench was 5 black fellas and one white fella?

I genuinely think people are losing their minds over this.
Well, if you treat people like people you'd say the guy in the middle. Everything is biologically similar if not the same. We're supposed to be moving society on, aren't we?

Personally I detest using colour as a reference and will only do so if absolutely forced to, like in the 'Shooting' thread to highlight differences in treatment of people.

Well, if you treat people like people you'd say the guy in the middle. Everything is biologically similar if not the same. We're supposed to be moving society on, aren't we?

Personally I detest using colour as a reference and will only do so if absolutely forced to, like in the 'Shooting' thread to highlight differences in treatment of people.
You’d genuinely be upset if we, at a Bluemoon piss up, were stood at a bar, and someone asked “which ones Bigga out of that lot” and I said “the black fella”?

I mean, each to their own but my black mates would actually expect me to do that, never mind be ok with it.

I agree we should be colourblind but it’s merely describing ethnicity, racism surely has to have a negative context to what is being said?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.