Queen Elizabeth II

Our monarch and parliament can check one another with power.

It’s why we’re the only major European nation to never have a dictator.
I think you’ll find I was calling into question the election of Putin as president as as poor example of any sort of democracy.
Has he not declared himself President in perpetuity.
Nothing to do with head of state either with an elected government.

A bad example.
Elected?
Yeah! Right!

When you get messages from the Kremlin to the pope on her passing I think it sums it up on what the world thought of her I’m no royalist but it does make me proud that she was our head of state , The respect she held from throughout the world we’ll never see again.
Got some hard and difficult times ahead of us hope this pulls us together because we need it.
If you look back from the war to 50’s 60’s 70’s etc with all the crap it brought regardless of who was in power she was there she was our queen. She always had the country at heart.
I’ll miss the Queen.

I really fear for the country, now she’s gone.

We are utterly divided as a nation. To most of us, she was the glue that was still holding us together.

Sadly, very few of us share her sense of duty.

i‘ve always been an optimist and generally a very positive person, and I think we’re fucked as a nation.

I really fear for the country, now she’s gone.

We are utterly divided as a nation. To most of us, she was the glue that was still holding us together.

Sadly, very few of us share her sense of duty.

i‘ve always been an optimist and generally a very positive person, and I think we’re fucked as a nation.
That's because very few of us, well none actually, had a chance to show it

As monarchs go from eras gone, Charles II wasn’t a bad one. He restored a lot of tradition after that **** Cromwell was done in.

Obviously he’s hoping his reign is nothing like Charles I (small “ha”).

But the name Charles doesn’t come with the baggage “John” does, who nobody would ever be named after again, in a Royal sense.
While I'm not advocating Cromwell, he did at least see to it that Manchester had Parliamentary representation. Once the monarchy was restored we had to wait almost 200 years before we had an MP again!

Canadian here born in mid 60's

My mum (who passed in 2001) was a big fan and an Anglophile so I grew up with a lot of stories about England and the monarchy. Personally I'm a republican but I have always had enormous respect for Elizabeth II and remember vividly when she visited my university town (Sackville NB) during the Canadian tour of 1984. 3 of my mates and I were very close as she drove by and we did make eye contact which seems weird to me now after all these years.

Read somewhere written today she was like a grandmother (not in the sense of family but in the sense of always there in the background of your life until they aren't) that is kind of how I feel about her which again seems odd but also genuine.

I will miss her as well as she certainly did represent some sort of comforting continuity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.