Queen Elizabeth II

I think this whole carry on, on top of lockdown and Brexit has actually tipped previously rational people completely over the edge.

06c059ee27918ea27b817e26f4730f69.jpg

We know she never intended or expected to be Queen.
Up until she was 10 (?), when her uncle abdicated and she knew she would be on the throne at some point in the future.
We know she could have turned it down, but chose to step up at the age of 25 with two kids in tow and a husband in the military.
I don't think she could have turned it down could she? I could well be wrong but isn't it the hereditary title imposed on the next in line?
We know she and her family refused to leave London during the War.
I thought her and Margaret were shipped off to Windsor Castle. They were only teenagers, so that decision was understandable.
We know one of her son's was accused of sex with under age girls and all that came with it.
Arguably her biggest misstep as head of state. Shielding him from serious accusations.
We know she has dealt with Thatcher and others of questionable skillset.
I'd imagine Thatcher and her clashed as the two most powerful women in the country. This was probably the only time she tried to undermined a PM, she was known to mock Thatcher's speech and class in private. I hated Thatcher so can let that slide.
We know she had to entertain pricks like Putin and Trump, whether she liked it or not.
The odd state dinner with a fascist dictator, I imagine she'd know how to handle these figures having grown up with many in her family (and extender members of) over the years sharing the same ideals.
We know she was working and meeting her expected commitments as the age of 96, two days before her death.
Agreed, although it being 'work' is arguable.
We know she looked in the eye of people who murdered Lord Mountbatten and yet apologised for the pain and suffering of people on both sides of the divide.
She offered sympathy but I don't think she ever apologised.
We know she put others before herself.
We know she inherently believed a life of service above her own, one without a day when somebody didn't know her business.
She might have believed she provided a life of service, I'd argue the service she provided was of very little benefit other than to her family and their finances.
All the palaces, all the jewels, all the money in Christendom, nothing would make me trade places.
I've seen this statement from people before and it's very easy to make knowing you're never going to be offered the chance.

The opportunity to never worry about money again, that you and your family have access to the best education, healthcare, and security. All that without ever having to do a proper days work again. I imagine many millions of people throughout the UK and Commonwealth would jump at the chance.

None of the Royal Family would swap roles with you, or me, or a teacher, nurse, prison officer etc.
We will never see her like again, in terms of monarch or otherwise.
I agree I don't think we'll see a monarch like her again, as British monarchs go she was one of, if not the best and that is because she did very little.

She wasn't a superwoman, other things you mentioned that she went through were not really unique to her, she was really no different to anyone else, only that by accident of birth she was born into a life of unfathomable wealth and privilege.

She reigned as monarch for 70 years. What were her actual, measurable achievements that benefited her people?

She was once referred to as being the C.E.O. of a rich, dysfunctional celebrity dynasty, and that pretty much sums it up.

Up until she was 10 (?), when her uncle abdicated and she knew she would be on the throne at some point in the future.

I don't think she could have turned it down could she? I could well be wrong but isn't it the hereditary title imposed on the next in line?

I thought her and Margaret were shipped off to Windsor Castle. They were only teenagers, so that decision was understandable.

Arguably her biggest misstep as head of state. Shielding him from serious accusations.

I'd imagine Thatcher and her clashed as the two most powerful women in the country. This was probably the only time she tried to undermined a PM, she was known to mock Thatcher's speech and class in private. I hated Thatcher so can let that slide.

The odd state dinner with a fascist dictator, I imagine she'd know how to handle these figures having grown up with many in her family (and extender members of) over the years sharing the same ideals.

She might have believed she provided a life of service, I'd argue the service she provided was of very little benefit other than to her family and their finances.

I've seen this statement from people before and it's very easy to make knowing you're never going to be offered the chance.

The opportunity to never worry about money again, that you and your family have access to the best education, healthcare, and security. All that without ever having to do a proper days work again. I imagine many millions of people throughout the UK and Commonwealth would jump at the chance.

None of the Royal Family would swap roles with you, or me, or a teacher, nurse, prison officer etc.

I agree I don't think we'll see a monarch like her again, as British monarchs go she was one of, if not the best and that is because she did very little.

She wasn't a superwoman, other things you mentioned that she went through were not really unique to her, she was really no different to anyone else, only that by accident of birth she was born into a life of unfathomable wealth and privilege.

She reigned as monarch for 70 years. What were her actual, measurable achievements that benefited her people?

She was once referred to as being the C.E.O. of a rich, dysfunctional celebrity dynasty, and that pretty much sums it up.
You’re the lead lining in the cloud, aren’t you?!

Essentially, a lot of those responses are still rooted in opinion and perspective.

Some horseshit and skewed bias, all the same, an overall palpable dislike of the institution, which is your right.

Mine were simply in response to another poster saying we didn't know anything about her.

However, you still seemingly claim to know a lot about a woman you didn't care for or knew?

As with any debate, people can always offer counter-argument to fit with their own confirmation bias.

Mine is she was a magnificent Queen who served this country every day and worked until she dropped.

Last edited:
Essentially, a lot of those responses are still rooted in opinion and perspective.

Some horseshit and skewed bias, all the same, an overall palpable dislike of the institution, which is your right.

Mine were simply in response to another poster saying we didn't know anything about her.

However, you still seemingly claim to know a lot about a woman you didn't care for or knew?

As with any debate, people can always offer counter-argument to fit with their own confirmation bias.

Mine is she was a magnificent Queen who served this country every day and worked until she dropped.
She can be objectively criticised for many things (can’t we all?) but to question the work ethic a person who was still putting a shift in (doing mind numbingly tedious work) into their mid-90s is a bit nuts. Strange hill to fight a Republican battle on.

She can be objectively criticised for many things (can’t we all?) but to question the work ethic a person who was still putting a shift in (doing mind numbingly tedious work) into their mid-90s is a bit nuts. Strange hill to fight a Republican battle on.
To turn up and meet Liz Truss and Boris Johnson must be an ordeal for anyone, to do it almost as you take your last breath is a quite incredible testament to the service to her country,

To turn up and meet Liz Truss and Boris Johnson must be an ordeal for anyone, to do it almost as you take your last breath is a quite incredible testament to the service to her country,
Plus, in my mind, she almost certainly knew she was close to death at that point. The fact it’s a photo, not film, how frail she looked, the bruises on her hand and the fact she was at Balmoral well into September all support that.

I’m convinced she went (or remained) there to die.

Whatever she was or wasn’t, she was 100% a grafter. To describe the nature of the work as easy or anything other than sinfully dull for much of the time is simply wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.