Queen Elizabeth II

Plus, in my mind, she almost certainly knew she was close to death at that point. The fact it’s a photo, not film, how frail she looked, the bruises on her hand and the fact she was at Balmoral well into September all support that.

I’m convinced she went (or remained) there to die.

Whatever she was or wasn’t, she was 100% a grafter. To describe the nature of the work as easy or anything other than sinfully dull for much of the time is simply wrong.
Totally agree about her dedication.

She was without doubt frail but I think the suddenness of it took the family by surprise, but for her it was a glorious way to go, she seemed not to suffer and was doing her duty until the very end.

Totally agree about her dedication.

She was without doubt frail but I think the suddenness of it took the family by surprise, but for her it was a glorious way to go, she seemed not to suffer and was doing her duty until the very end.
When my dad died last week he was eating chips and drinking milkshake in Morrisons in the afternoon then died of pneumonia that night. There was no indication he even had a problem with his lungs! I did palliative ‘live in’ care for years and some of my patients seemed to literally just switch off and pass very quickly when least expected. The human body (and spirit) are very strange that way.

When my dad died last week he was eating chips and drinking milkshake in Morrisons in the afternoon then died of pneumonia that night. There was no indication he even had a problem with his lungs! I did palliative ‘live in’ care for years and some of my patients seemed to literally just switch off and pass very quickly when least expected. The human body (and spirit) are very strange that way.
That for the person is a wonderful way to go, although a huge shock for family and friends.

My Mum died from Alzheimer's, 5 years it took, the last 3 years were a living nightmare I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Reminds me a bit of a rag a long time ago thought he could walk into the back of the Kippax scarf on and mouthing off and not get a reaction, then moaning about it when he did.
Derby day .....reds used to do suicide missions into the turnstiles at the back of the Kippax........they lasted maybe 1 or 2 seconds before dibble saved their necks

Up until she was 10 (?), when her uncle abdicated and she knew she would be on the throne at some point in the future.

I don't think she could have turned it down could she? I could well be wrong but isn't it the hereditary title imposed on the next in line?

I thought her and Margaret were shipped off to Windsor Castle. They were only teenagers, so that decision was understandable.

Arguably her biggest misstep as head of state. Shielding him from serious accusations.

I'd imagine Thatcher and her clashed as the two most powerful women in the country. This was probably the only time she tried to undermined a PM, she was known to mock Thatcher's speech and class in private. I hated Thatcher so can let that slide.

The odd state dinner with a fascist dictator, I imagine she'd know how to handle these figures having grown up with many in her family (and extender members of) over the years sharing the same ideals.

Agreed, although it being 'work' is arguable.

She offered sympathy but I don't think she ever apologised.

She might have believed she provided a life of service, I'd argue the service she provided was of very little benefit other than to her family and their finances.

I've seen this statement from people before and it's very easy to make knowing you're never going to be offered the chance.

The opportunity to never worry about money again, that you and your family have access to the best education, healthcare, and security. All that without ever having to do a proper days work again. I imagine many millions of people throughout the UK and Commonwealth would jump at the chance.

None of the Royal Family would swap roles with you, or me, or a teacher, nurse, prison officer etc.

I agree I don't think we'll see a monarch like her again, as British monarchs go she was one of, if not the best and that is because she did very little.

She wasn't a superwoman, other things you mentioned that she went through were not really unique to her, she was really no different to anyone else, only that by accident of birth she was born into a life of unfathomable wealth and privilege.

She reigned as monarch for 70 years. What were her actual, measurable achievements that benefited her people?

She was once referred to as being the C.E.O. of a rich, dysfunctional celebrity dynasty, and that pretty much sums it up.
Think you nailed it there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.