Racism in Football

Thinking you can just dip into being a bit racist for fun when it suits you is actually quite racist regardless of whether you see yourself as a nice guy the rest of the time.

I don't accept that's what they're doing. They're not thinking "ooh go on we'll sing this racist song because it's fun" they're just completely glossing over the meaning of the lyrics.

The scenario you're describing does happen, and occasionally we do see incidents of racism that were supposed to be behind closed doors where the person thought they could get away with it get leaked. This isn't that, these incredibly media trained players were happily live streaming it because they didn't even consider it racist. Now either that's because they're so incredibly racist to the core that they think the lyrics are fine, or they just don't register what the lyrics are actually saying, just like people who teach their kids Oranges and Lemons aren't actually celebrating public executions.

You don't even have to go back that far. Nasri and his quenelle gesture come to mind.
Anelka also comes to mind. A greek footballer was banned for life for his Nazi salute celebration, that's how you stamp this type of behaviour out. This thing with the Argies shouldn't be seen through "blue lenses" just because we have a soft spot for Argentines here. They have a terrible race problem there and it didn't just start yesterday.

Anelka also comes to mind. A greek footballer was banned for life for his Nazi salute celebration, that's how you stamp this type of behaviour out. This thing with the Argies shouldn't be seen through "blue lenses" just because we have a soft spot for Argentines here. They have a terrible race problem there and it didn't just start yesterday.
I can't comment much on Argentina. I suppose I'm not well educated on the subject.

However, a friend had a horrible gold digging Uruguayan girlfriend for a while who claimed "full Italian blood" and that her parents were missionaries after the war (yeah, ok). She hated Latinos. It may have just been a personal thing as opposed to a national type culture but I do believe the countries share a border.

I had a 1/2 Mexican girlfriend for a time. She said in the Hispanic community, racism is even pervasive against each other. Lighter skinned Latinos perceive themselves to be superior to darker brown skinned Latinos.

Last edited:
I can't comment much on Argentina. I suppose I'm not well educated on the subject.

However, a friend had a horrible gold digging Uruguayan girlfriend for a while who claimed "full Italian blood" and that her parents were missionaries after the war (yeah, ok). She hated Latinos. It may have just been a personal thing ad opposed to a national type culture but I do believe the countries share a border.

I had a 1/2 Mexican girlfriend for a time. She said in the Hispanic community, racism is even pervasive against each other. Lighter skinned Latinos perceive themselves to be superior to darker brown skinned Latinos.
Racism, like slavery, was the “natural order” until not too long ago, so let’s not be too surprised it’s still alive and well in many pockets across the globe.

In some ways, it should be allowed u der the tenet of Freedom of Speech, because it’s the most hurtful speech that illustrates that freedom,

In other ways, we need to move away from any form of hateful language that offends and divides peoples, rather than uniting them.

The only question now, though, is “Who decides?” When you have that answer, you’ll realize what a slippery slope we’re on when you start to realize what words are becoming bad and which words are approved.

I know he’s holding the phone, and therefore recording it, but why is it Fernandez who is getting the thick end of the stick? There are other players dancing around singing it.

As an aside to the issue of racism here, when the fuck did it become a thing for national teams to sing about other national teams/players when celebrating their own success?

You have Argentina signing about France, Morata singing about Musiala at their parade, and Cucurella singing about Haaland

If this is a new trend it needs to get in the bin asap
In 2018 the French players sang something about Messi being a midget. There's a video somewhere but couldn't find it. There's also the Germans in 2014 signing "gauchos walk like this" while mimicking an underveloped human being.

In 2018 the French players sang something about Messi being a midget. There's a video somewhere but couldn't find it. There's also the Germans in 2014 signing "gauchos walk like this" while mimicking an underveloped human being.
That was after the finals and the Germans apologized. I don't think they have sang that song since 2014. This is the second time in 2 years that the Argentinians have done this

That was after the finals and the Germans apologized. I don't think they have sang that song since 2014. This is the second time in 2 years that the Argentinians have done this
I love how you are all up against racism and xenophobia while also loving to generalize about Argentinian people in general when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm Argentinian living in Argentina and let me tell you that my country is just like any other country, it has its right wingers and left wingers, conservatives and liberals, racists and non-racists.

The thing with Argentina is that it is both, one of the most liberal countries in the World (one of the first to abolish slavery, one of the first to legalize same sex marriages, one of the first to allow for ID's to have the prefered sex of the person, we have no restrictions for any immigrant that wants to come live here, etc.) while also being one of the least PC ones.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.