Racism in Football

Which England players were singing it? I've never seen it but maybe they did

Two wrongs don't make a right though.

Besides, if English players today were singing on a live stream, I'm sure they'd be called out over it.

No one is talking about "making a right". You'd be a lot less confused if you actually read the comments you replied to (and the comments they were replying to).

I was replying to someone who declared singing offensive songs about the opposition was a new generation thing, and I responded by pointing out there's been dozens of these songs for decades and the only difference is it gets recorded and goes viral now.

to say that they have normalized racism to the point that they aren't aware of the derogatory nature of this particular song is just a weird take.

It's a lot less weird than your take that they are delberately posting videos of them singing racist things to win over the fans (because famously fans need to be won over when you've just won a 4th international tournament in a row)

It's a lot less weird than your take that they are delberately posting videos of them singing racist things to win over the fans (because famously fans need to be won over when you've just won a 4th international tournament in a row)

Maybe it's neither and they're just a bunch of dicks who have no problem singing racist songs and airing racist views

could be that simple

You're mistaking "no action" for "no action within 6 hours".

This should be dealt with properly when all parties are back in London, and there will be an FA investigation and probably a 6 match ban.

You're essentially complaining that someone who got arrested hasn't been convicted the day after.

I hear what you're saying and I don't expect Chelsea to do anything straight away, but I just honestly don't see it happening. And I'd also reiterate, just because he's the one holding the phone doesn't mean he's the only one who should be held to account.

That's one discussion you probably wouldn't want to have. The outcome might be heartbreaking, look up the views of the new Argentine president and then look up what one of Argentinas most loved presidents Carlos Menem said about Argentina not having the same "problem" Brazil has. I would say it again, these footballers aren't the type to shove food up their nose, they are not damaged upstairs and are not as dumb as we would like to think they are.

This comment about how how no one in Argentina cares is pretty severely undermined by the fact that Milei's government has just demanded the Argentine FA and Messi make a public apology for denegrating the reputation of the country.

Let's not brush this under the carpet as some kind of "drunk, jolly" moment. They are very well aware of the concept of a derogatory song, it hasn't been normalized and they know it.

No one is trying to brush it under the carpet, the players are going to get bans from the respective FA's they play under, I just think your theory they're trying to win over the Ultras is bullshit, and there's a very long history of people getting caught up in a moment and singing an offensive song they don't really believe.

I don't beleive the City fans who sing about Hillsborough or Munich actually endorse those events or the content of those songs. Doesn't make it right to sing about them, and I didn't say it's right to sing this, I just 1) Think your Ultras theory is batshit and 2) Have seen a hundred news stories about people singing old nursery rhymes or the N word in a song because they don't actually think about what the lyrics are before singing them and think it's more likely this is an example of that than part of a conspiracy to gain the support of fans they already have the support of.

Personally I think this being the 1,000,000th example of drunk people singing along to explicit lyrics without really thinking what they mean is more likely than the idea every player in the Argentine squad is a raving racist or trying to win over their racist ultras.

If you think otherswise, that's your perogative.

I don't think every member of that squad is a raving racist or whatever and i don't expect that they behave in a racist way to every person they meet who isn't the same as them. But that's the problem with racism, people think it's limited to being a car carrying nazi to be branded a racist and that we can therefore brush this kind of thing under the carpet. Thinking you can just dip into being a bit racist for fun when it suits you is actually quite racist regardless of whether you see yourself as a nice guy the rest of the time. I don't know a single a person who would think it's ok to sing something like that.

No one is trying to brush it under the carpet, the players are going to get bans from the respective FA's they play under, I just think your theory they're trying to win over the Ultras is bullshit, and there's a very long history of people getting caught up in a moment and singing an offensive song they don't really believe.

I mean I don't beleive the City fans who sing about Hillsborough or Munich actually endorse those events or the content of those songs.
And there's a long history of footballers deliberately acting in a particular way to appeal to a particular base, look up Di Canio's salute and his connections to the Lazio fascist fan base.

This comment about how how no one in Argentina cares is pretty severely undermined by the fact that Milei's government has just demanded the Argentine FA and Messi make a public apology for denegrating the reputation of the country.

Good for them.

It’s the right thing to do.

I don't think every member of that squad is a raving racist or whatever and i don't expect that they behave in a racist way to every person they meet who isn't the same as them. But that's the problem with racism, people think it's limited to being a car carrying nazi to be branded a racist and that we can therefore brush this kind of thing under the carpet. Thinking you can just dip into being a bit racist for fun when it suits you is actually quite racist regardless of whether you see yourself as a nice guy the rest of the time. I don't know a single a person who would think it's ok to sing something like that.
I realise this is a serious discussion but the bold text reminds me of Father Ted.

"Only the farm takes up most of the day. And at night I just like a cup of tea. I'd like to be able to devote myself full time to the ol' racism."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.