Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely agree mate - has been absolutely central to the titles and success. Difficult to understand

people yearn for the moody arse that was Sane who whilst was good was prone to ego and mood swings and wanting out which has done his career no good. Loving a player we stood by through injury only to have him leave yet hating Sterling with his record for the club? Makes no sense to me.

What's even weirder is that Sterling isn't respected the way other players with his number of appearances, trophies, and goals/assists are. If he stays next season and leaves on a free he will have played more games for us than Vinny and Kun. Ferna too I think.

Yet people talk about him like he's some mercenary who turned up three years ago, not one of our greatest ever players and one of our most decorated ever players and English to boot.

My working theory to try understand the odd place he's in is that it's because he's possibly a bit culpable to the two things that frustrates fans more than anything. A missed sitter, and the odd dead end dribble. The dribble thing feels particularly unfair, as that's just part of his high risk, high reward game. I don't even agree with the over the top frustration re the missed sitters either, but I can see why it happens. I don't think there's anything that gets more annoyance out of football fans than a clear chance missed. The deflated groan is noisier for that more than anything. He can be a bit clumsy in front of goal, but it does feel OTT. I reckon there's more focus on it due to not having a striker, and people are taking their frustrations out on him.

Mad really, given he clearly brings so much. Football is so emotional though and people lose sight of past accomplishments and focus far too much on the tiny minor bits. As you said, he should be loved a whole lot more. Doesn't feel like he is by a lot. Shame. He's our best ever winger and a City legend.

My working theory to try understand the odd place he's in is that it's because he's possibly a bit culpable to the two things that frustrates fans more than anything. A missed sitter, and the odd dead end dribble. The dribble thing feels particularly unfair, as that's just part of his high risk, high reward game. I don't even agree with the over the top frustration re the missed sitters either, but I can see why it happens. I don't think there's anything that gets more annoyance out of football fans than a clear chance missed. The deflated groan is noisier for that more than anything. He can be a bit clumsy in front of goal, but it does feel OTT. I reckon there's more focus on it due to not having a striker, and people are taking their frustrations out on him.

Mad really, given he clearly brings so much. Football is so emotional though and people lose sight of past accomplishments and focus far too much on the tiny minor bits. As you said, he should be loved a whole lot more. Doesn't feel like he is by a lot. Shame. He's our best ever winger and a City legend.

Those missed chances have ruined his reputation. I respect what sterling has done for us the goals the assists and to me he's one of the best players of peps man city squad. But I was shocked to see the teams he is linked with and the response from their fans. The amount of goals and assists he's scored for us you'd expect them to be excited at the prospect of Sterling in their team.

But it's the opposite. You got Madrid fans calling him a bottle merchant that can't be counted on in the big moments and they would rather have Gnabry. Arsenal fans not fussed saying he doesn't start over Saka, Tottenham saying he'd be a back up to Son. It's weird also Chelsea fans saying money could be spent elsewhere on a better player that can improve them. It's weird.

When Sterling's numbers are brilliant

Its as simple as he goes missing in big games and big moments; along with how he comes across. His inclusion cost us a chumps league. He shows little love for the club like vinnie zaba did etc; and hes spoken about leaving in the past.

He also quite clearly wants to be a top earner when he isnt in our best 11.

Those missed chances have ruined his reputation. I respect what sterling has done for us the goals the assists and to me he's one of the best players of peps man city squad. But I was shocked to see the teams he is linked with and the response from their fans. The amount of goals and assists he's scored for us you'd expect them to be excited at the prospect of Sterling in their team.

But it's the opposite. You got Madrid fans calling him a bottle merchant that can't be counted on in the big moments and they would rather have Gnabry. Arsenal fans not fussed saying he doesn't start over Saka, Tottenham saying he'd be a back up to Son. It's weird also Chelsea fans saying money could be spent elsewhere on a better player that can improve them. It's weird.

When Sterling's numbers are brilliant
Surely it’s pretty obvious isn’t it? This is a lad who was quite rightly lauded at LiVARpool yet once he thinks of and moves to City he has been the butt of an incredible amount of abuse. At first it was orchestrated by Liverpool but the national media has heaped it on him. I greatly admire his mental strength.
Whilst it is a complex subject, I am sure that a lot of the abuse he gets (and lets not hide the racism) rubs off at least subconsciously on City fans. He certainly gets dogs abuse from opposing fans.
Yet he’s played hundreds of games for us, scored over a hundred goals and won a bucketful of medals. What a servant he has been and should be appreciated that way.
And I don’t buy the sitters point - the only one that was momentous for me was Lyon (and that was a massive fuck up). The rest are just part of the sometime frustration we as fans have but rarely do they materially influence a game. Kun Aguero is an all time hero but he missed his fair share including important CL penalties yet we still will always love him.
Substitute the name Rashford for Sterling and the response from all completely changes- put bluntly Rashford is the good black boy and Sterling is the bad.
That said, there is still improvement to be made in his game as others have said and the contract situation needs to be sorted out, so I won’t hesitate to criticise him in the future but it should be from a position of affection because of everything he has done.

I've been guilty of going against Sterling in the past season or so and stick by that. Just because of longevity doesn't excuse him from criticism when things haven't been going well for him - let's not sugarcoat it, he was pretty shit for a long period hence the reason for being dropped and it being such a surprise when he was started in the Champions League final.

However, overall he has been fantastic for us. If/when he decides to go (and however he does - whether on a free or not) then he will rightly be lauded as one of our most decorated players with the stats, appearances, trophies and reputation to boot. His goals have been priceless and his attitude has been exemplary too. Plus the fact he seems to be the one the youngsters go to (Palmer) in the senior squad shows his role has evolved since getting here.

All that on the back of him signing under a black cloud from the dippers - the media against him and rival fans against him - yet he has thrived into one of the most important players in one of the most successful English teams in history.

He can bow out from City however he would like to IMO. As with Vinnie, Merlin, Aguero and Fernandinho.

Its as simple as he goes missing in big games and big moments; along with how he comes across. His inclusion cost us a chumps league. He shows little love for the club like vinnie zaba did etc; and hes spoken about leaving in the past.

He also quite clearly wants to be a top earner when he isnt in our best 11.

Unfortunately,all true.

While he managed a game changing contribution in our final match of the season,you can count on one hand the times he has taken a game by the scruff and led by example.

I also understand your criticism regards his demeanour.....he just doesnt wear his heart on his sleeve and,unlike Dinho,Komps,Zabba,Aguero,Kev,Bernie,Foden etc. he has never looked like he would bleed for the club,yet some are putting him in that bracket of 'club legend'.

He has provided great service,but he is also hugely over rated/hyped by our fans and he now needs to find his next chapter elsewhere.If he wishes to run down his contract.....thats fine,just as long as he isnt snide about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.