RB Leipzig (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

We looked comfortable last night, a little too comfortable (Maybe that's the problem). Alvarez woke the whole thing up though.

Positives.

Lewis's best game for us so far.

Foden looked very much up for it.

I wasn't calling for Haaland to be dropped, but to be withdrawn in favour of Alvarez, because clearly last night wasn't his night.

In terms of credit, when does that run out? It was an awkward post match conversation, but Lescott & Hargreaves were trying to avoid answering the question of Haaland being found out by PL CB's.

I don't think he's been 'found out', but the PL evolves rapidly, & what was the case last season won't necessarily be the case this. I saw how frustrated Haaland seemed. I noticed him walking around head down & I felt for him, but we've got games to win.

Haaland is a supreme goal scorer, but if we're being honest he offers little else, as he's no Harry Kane. I feel there's a fear to criticise him, especially after his unbelievable first season with us.

How do you criticise a striker who scores 2 goals from 12 touches, or a hat trick from 22 touches? As long as he's banging em in, he's doing his bit, but what happens when he hits a dry spell, but unlike Kane he can't contribute anything else?

He's going through a dry spell at the moment as all players do, but after dominating against Leipsig, it was baffling to find ourselves level & we needed something different.

All I questioned is why changes weren't made earlier when it became obvious that Grealish & Haaland were having little effect?

Both subs provided a goal & an assist each, & Julian affected the game more in 20 minutes than Haaland did in 90. All I'm saying is it's a conversation which needs to be had.
Subs work sometimes and don’t in others. Changing players doesn‘t guarantee goals.

What you have done is have a natural reaction of “we’re not winning, we must change things. Why can’t Pep see this?”, which is common.

Pep doesn’t make substitutions like that. He saw we were controlling the game and so will have been relatively happy. The subs last night were probably more fitness related than personnel playing poorly. That’s why Foden was taken off rather than Haaland.

Haaland will never be Messi. He’s a Shaun Goater type goal scoring machine that doesn’t always look pretty, but can score 5 without being in the game much. It didn’t happen for him last night, but Pep won’t take him off whilst he’s scratching around for confidence.

That’s man management for you.

Pep saying about Rico's lack of height amused me. He needs a pair of Elton John like platform footy boots making to be 2" taller i think; )
I thought it was quite poignant actually.
They said the same about Messi at 17 years of age.
It’s rumoured Messi was given growth hormones, to beef him up. Could be rubbish but I saw a twinkle in Pep’s eye as he said it.
He has a wicked sense of humour that can get lost when speaking a foreign language sometimes.

I've been more than a little taken aback how many of last year's treble winning core team have been chucked under the bus this season. I saw someone say they were waiting for Grealish to prove them wrong. Ake and Akanji have been getting pelters too. I accept we haven't started the season as strongly as we ended it, but that's to be expected and not a terrible thing in my opinion. But we are top of the league and basically out of our CL group playing better than we started last season playing. And every single one of last year's squad has so much credit in the bank I can't believe we have to say it out loud.
Mad isn’t it? We‘ve also had to contend with a shorter break and the come down of completing football and have started the season better than last year.

We‘ve only lost one game that Haaland has played.

Maybe it's time we sold him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.