Realistic expectations for the remainder of the season

I think we'll comfortably finish 2nd in the league but Chelsea will walk it.
Out at this group stage in CL and that leaves the FA cup as our only chance of getting something out of this season.
Whilst i'll always value the league over the CL, i'm not sure our owners will think the same.
Our continued dire form in the CL will be a big deal for them i'd imagine.

On current form, a blip thats lasted 6 games and with Chelsea playing like champions my expectations are for us us to at least qualify for champs league again. I'd also like to think we can have a good run in the FA cup which would help salvage a disappointing season.

I expect us to improve and win a lot of games, put pressure on Chelsea and be in with a chance of the title with a few games left.

We might win the FA cup too.

Out of CL and every cup in early 2015, then piss the league as chelsea tire and Costa plays less because of injury by Easter.

bobbyowenquiff said:
cibaman said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
Would love to prove the doubters wrong and make it out of our CL group, finish second in the Premier League, and win the FA Cup. We will need to make quite a few squad changes in the summer but I am optimistic for next season. I always thought this post World Cup year would be tough for us. I also think Mangala and Fernando will settle down and become excellent signings. If we can get Marco Reus, a good young striker, and a top left back we will be laughing. We are still making huge progress off the field so the future is fantastic. We can't win the league every season.

From 1968 United were the richest club in England for 45 years but they only fluked two European Cups (despite mostly easy draws) during that period. I think It will take us at least 10 years to reach a CL final but we'll get there in the end.

I agree with most of your post, but i'm curious as to why you thought a post WC year but would be tough for us. Isnt it tough for all of the clubs that had a large number of players at the WC, including chelsea?

Most top clubs have started slowly. Barca, Real, Bayern only just got going despite mostly easier fixtures than us. Liverpool, Arsenal and Rags stuttering. Dortmund bottom of their league. We will be ok after Christmas. Chelsea are the exception but they have had an easier start than anyone, especially in Europe.

We're easily the best team in our CL group but we've had a harder league start than anyone. Already been to Anfield, Goodison, Old Trafford and the Etihad as well as Arsenal at home. In fact aside from Arsenal and Spurs, all our remaining games against the top 6 this season will be at SB. When we come back from the break, our next six are all against bottom half opponents with the exception of Spurs. Aside from them we don't even meet another top 4 contender until City at SB in January. I think our strong start had more to do with Mourinho arranging a player-centred preseason in Europe, rather than a glamour tour in America or Asia post world cup.

Castiel said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
cibaman said:
I agree with most of your post, but i'm curious as to why you thought a post WC year but would be tough for us. Isnt it tough for all of the clubs that had a large number of players at the WC, including chelsea?

Most top clubs have started slowly. Barca, Real, Bayern only just got going despite mostly easier fixtures than us. Liverpool, Arsenal and Rags stuttering. Dortmund bottom of their league. We will be ok after Christmas. Chelsea are the exception but they have had an easier start than anyone, especially in Europe.

We're easily the best team in our CL group but we've had a harder league start than anyone. Already been to Anfield, Goodison, Old Trafford and the Etihad as well as Arsenal at home. In fact aside from Arsenal and Spurs, all our remaining games against the top 6 this season will be at SB. When we come back from the break, our next six are all against bottom half opponents with the exception of Spurs. Aside from them we don't even meet another top 4 contender until City at SB in January. I think our strong start had more to do with Mourinho arranging a player-centred preseason in Europe, rather than a glamour tour in America or Asia post world cup.

Yep agree. It helps that Maureen hasn't rotated his squad much. I read somewhere 7 players have played every game so far. That back four you have is solid and by far the best in the league and if they can stay fit then you expect Chelsea will increase their lead. I'm hoping of course you have a wobble here and there and we can take advantage but it'll only be a point here and there. Were on a 6 game blip at the moment I just cant see Chelsea going through anything like that. Saying that if anyone is equipped at giving you a chase then its us.... providing of course we can get out act together very soon.

bluemoon32 said:
I think we'll comfortably finish 2nd in the league but Chelsea will walk it.
Out at this group stage in CL and that leaves the FA cup as our only chance of getting something out of this season.
Whilst i'll always value the league over the CL, i'm not sure our owners will think the same.
Our continued dire form in the CL will be a big deal for them i'd imagine.

I agree.

If we make the Europa League I would like us to win that competition because for me Chelsea are too good and consistent for us this season and have this league destined for them.

I think if we dropped into the Europa League we would be outstanding favourites to win it and if we perform we should win it.

A Europa League and an FA Cup would be still be a very good season in my opinion.

While I think that qualification in the CL is still very much there if we want it, I really hope we go all the way in the Europa if we end up in it.

Much more fun competition than the CL and would give us great belief to win a European competition.

FA cup would be nice too ;)

Castiel said:
bobbyowenquiff said:
cibaman said:

No doubt Chelsea have had the most difficult start and similar to last season have got some excellent results against the traditional top sides.

As the season progresses, it will be interesting to see if Chelsea can answer the challenge of opening up the teams near the bottom, as it where you slipped up last March. No doubt Costa will help with that but in the event he gets injured Remy looks more like a player suited to playing of the shoulder of the defence rather than his back to goal against a defence defending deep. Fair play though you have been excellent so far.

zimmerman said:
While I think that qualification in the CL is still very much there if we want it, I really hope we go all the way in the Europa if we end up in it.

Much more fun competition than the CL and would give us great belief to win a European competition.

FA cup would be nice too ;)

I agree, mate.

I still think we will comfortably finish in the top 3 but I don't see us winning the league.

I don't see the Europa League affecting us that much to cause us real problems in the league and we should have enough to win that competition if we perform.

At the end of the day the Europa League is a tournament we would have loved to have won a few years ago, we are not good enough to win the Champions League so the next best option is the Europa.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.