Realistic expectations for the remainder of the season

Top 3. Cant take top 3 for granted given the way we are playing. 4th is no good as given our record in the CL we would probably lose the play off game. Top 3, automatic qualification, buy better in the summer

After 40 years I hope rather than expect.

The mininum requirement for City in the current climate is 3rd. That gives us a go at everything next season including the money generated by the CL, even if I do think the whole thing is a bent circus.

Any funds available should be made on one marquee signing, two at the most.

LoveCity said:
How about some of this? :)

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_Europa_League_Final" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_ ... ague_Final</a>

Have to get 3rd first. Since we probably aren't going to win the league unless Chelsea really implode (and just can't see it with Mourinho, he has no real precedent of bottling big leads does he?), could we commit resources to a Europa League assault if we finish 3rd in our group? The only slight risk might be to a top 4 place but Arsenal, Liverpool and United are even worse off than us so far.

And a good FA Cup run of course.

This. It didn't do Chelsea any harm, winning it. Although, it's stupid to concede the league in November. Anything can happen - and something usually does.

CL - very long shot. But reconciled to that
FA Cup - Need luck as always.
League - We can win it, but there's not much margin for error now. It's between us and Chelsea. I don't think Chelsea are as good as claimed. Every time I watch them, they sneak over the line. Luck is going their way at the moment eg Liverpool at the weekend, when Cahill made a clear handball that wasn't given

The league is nowhere near over yet. Chelsea will stumble, more than once, Costa will get injured..... we just need to sort out whatever is going on with us, play like we can, and pick up wins, build confidence again.

It will be us and them, and there's no way it's over in November!

Whilst we're clearly still got a chance of finishing as champion's (we're only 11 games into the season and 8 points, whilst a sizeable lead, certyainly isn't impossible to claw back) I think, if I'm being realistic, I just don't see us being able to catch a team as good as Chelsea. So, for me, a resonable expectation would be to finish as runners up. As for the cups, I can't see us beating Munich, so therefore I think we'll fail to finish in 2nd place. Realistically though I think we could sneak 3rd place (whether that's desireable or not is a different matter). So, my expectation for Europe is we drop into the Europa League, and then make, at least, the quarter finals. As for the FA Cup, my expectation is we field a very strong lineup and make, at least, the semi finals. Obviously this last one is very much draw dependent. If we get Chelsea away in the 3rd round and lose then that wouldn't be a huge shock, however a home defeat to Wigan would be.

Matty said:
Whilst we're clearly still got a chance of finishing as champion's (we're only 11 games into the season and 8 points, whilst a sizeable lead, certyainly isn't impossible to claw back) I think, if I'm being realistic, I just don't see us being able to catch a team as good as Chelsea. So, for me, a resonable expectation would be to finish as runners up. As for the cups, I can't see us beating Munich, so therefore I think we'll fail to finish in 2nd place. Realistically though I think we could sneak 3rd place (whether that's desireable or not is a different matter). So, my expectation for Europe is we drop into the Europa League, and then make, at least, the quarter finals. As for the FA Cup, my expectation is we field a very strong lineup and make, at least, the semi finals. Obviously this last one is very much draw dependent. If we get Chelsea away in the 3rd round and lose then that wouldn't be a huge shock, however a home defeat to Wigan would be.
I don't see Chelsea losing many, but over the course of 27 games we can make up 8 points.

They'll have problems later in the season with the demands on their squad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.