Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

I saw that on TV this morning.

You are probably right but Rodri was no where near the keepers line of vision when the ball was struck, yes he was close as the ball sailed past the keeper but this seems like another example of BS, let's use the Law to suit what we want.

Getting sick of PL and VAR re reffing some decisions and Teams (us).

Those 3 goals we scored yesterday were all scrutinised by VAR for fucking ages yet they chose to ignore the Tug on Bernardo leading to the Pen!

Remember Spuds 3rd, knocking Ake out of the way but our 2nd v the Dips ruled out because Allison fucked up.

It's every fucking game with us.

They wouldn’t have given that goal for anyone. We got lucky earlier in the season with Akes against Fulham, which shouldn’t have been given for a similar thing. It’s not about being in his line of vision as such as it wasn’t that he was blocking his view of the ball, it’s that he made an action to try and play the ball and the keeper reacted to that.

Yeah, we just don't get the free kicks from refs which are the result of a clear foul. The most obvious one was the barge into the back of Rodri which prompted him, totally off balance, to toe the ball into touch. How the fuck can Tierney award a throw in for that!
Worse still, the commentators actually praised Palace for what should have been a clear foul. If the shoe is on the other foot, they are pointing out that he only miskicked it because he got a shove in the back as he went to strike it.

In the middle of the pitch, they were arriving late in the press and leaving something on the player they were pressing each time(a push, shoulder, hip etc), "let them know you're there". Doing all they could to affect our rhythm(in fairness we handled it well for most of the match but that's not the point). Then the same players had the cheek to surround the ref the minute Rodri(and others) did the same in their half of the pitch.

If you're talking about the build up to penalty with Bernardo, that's another gripe I have with the coverage. I don't even know if it was a foul, I was waiting for a replay but they just moved on, feels like the broadcaster wasn't doing their job properly there. I strongly suspect, the director would have demanded they get a replay of that incident(multiple angles at that), even before there was any confirmation that VAR was taking a look at it. Carragher or Neville would already be saying they think it's a foul before the check was complete(and then "no, I think he's got that wrong" if the claim is remotely strong enough). It almost feels deliberate how often they gloss over City's claims, sometimes they don't even acknowledge what the players are asking for.

As for the disallowed goal. It's just become part of the game now because keepers are over protected and they've adjusted accordingly. Just like a hand on the shoulder is considered "a grab" even when it isn't(such as when a player is just bracing to avoid a bigger collision), if a keeper has messed up and an opposing player made any contact whatsoever, they will always ask for a foul to bail them out these days. I honestly think the GK coaches might be telling them not to even dive if an offside player is anywhere near it(unless it's a tame effort). That makes the refs mind up for them normally.

Last edited:
It doesn’t have to be in the keeper’s eyeline at the moment the ball is struck. He was offside then, but then moved across the line of the ball, making him active.

All goals are checked by VAR.

I shouted for a foul on Bernardo before the penalty in the ground. Having seen it again, it’s soft, but are given often.

Contact with keepers is always given as a foul, whereas the same contact on a defender generally isn’t. It’s always been like that and it’s weird.

We’re just not managing games well at the moment. It’ll pass, knowing we have Pep in charge.
Bloody frustrating though, refereeing must be at an all time low.

You could easily see that goal at say Klanfield, and it would have been given.

Ayew's red card v them was ludicrous compared to what that Dipper did today in the space of 20 seconds!

Bloody frustrating though, refereeing must be at an all time low.

You could easily see that goal at say Klanfield, and it would have been given.

Ayew's red card v them was ludicrous compared to what that Dipper did today in the space of 20 seconds!
Really frustrating.

Look at Dalot vs Nunez in the same game!

That said, I'm not saying we should blame the ref for this one, even if it was a foul. We let them back into the game for it to come to that.

We shouldn't be like Arsenal or Liverpool fans, we dominated the game and if we had have seen that out, most of us would have been saying that was a decent performance. A one goal lead felt comfortable last season, not this one unfortunately. It's almost like the players are easing off the intensity, thinking the job is done. Then they end up under the cosh and struggle to get going again. We should know by now, if we are relying on the officials not making any mistakes that could cost us points, they are probably going to make those mistakes.

The defending was poor leading up to the pen but I don't know what Foden was thinking either, booting someone in his own box. Wasn't he also the one who turned over possession at the start of that move? He had a bit of a nightmare there, in an otherwise solid performance.

Last edited:
That said I'm not saying we should blame the ref for this one, even if it was a foul. We let them back into the game for it to come to that.

We shouldn't be like Arsenal or Liverpool fans, we dominated the game and if we had have seen that out most of us would have been saying that was a decent performance. A one goal lead felt comfortable last season, not this one unfortunately. It's almost like the players are easing off the intensity thinking the job is done, then they end up under the cosh and struggle to get going again. We should know by now, if we are relying on the officials not making any mistakes that could cost us points, they are probably going to make those mistakes.

The defending was poor leading up to it but I don't know what Foden was thinking either, booting someone in his own box. Wasn't he also the one who turned over possession at the start of that move? He had a bit of a nightmare there, in an otherwise solid performance.
My guess is that Foden was thinking about the bollocking he was about to get for losing the ball in the centre circle to start that passage of play and was doing his best to rectify it, but made it worse.

My guess is that Foden was thinking about the bollocking he was about to get for losing the ball in the centre circle to start that passage of play and was doing his best to rectify it, but made it worse.
Yeah, in fairness, I can't think of another time he's dropped a bollock that has directly cost us points. *Crosses-fingers not to jinx it*

You are assuming that unless you have evidence to the contrary
It’s a pretty safe assumption, since the referee and assistant conversed to ascertain Rodri was offside and interfering with play on the field and VAR agreed when it was reviewed.

The only two people we don’t know about are the fourth official and the assistant in our half, but they probably don’t need to have a view.

They wouldn’t have given that goal for anyone. We got lucky earlier in the season with Akes against Fulham, which shouldn’t have been given for a similar thing. It’s not about being in his line of vision as such as it wasn’t that he was blocking his view of the ball, it’s that he made an action to try and play the ball and the keeper reacted to that.
Being offside from a free kick was his biggest crime

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.