Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

What was strange about Saturday is that there wasn’t one major thing he got wrong just a dozen to 15 incredibly wrong decisions, be it free kicks wrongly not given to us, free kicks wrongly given to them, foul throws not given, them not getting booked for kicking the ball away, it was probably the most wrong decisions against one side I can recall, but not one major one. Either very incompetent or very bent, or both

Indeed sometimes referees and assistants have to guess, for example when a ball goes out of play and they don’t know for sure who touched it last. In the case of the challenge by Foden the referee has no need to make decision if he hasn’t seen the incident properly. In is much easier to forgive a referee for not giving a foul because he/she was unsighted than it is to forgive the decision to award a foul when there was no foul there fo him/her to see.
It's guesswork. It's unfortunate, but it is inevitable at times.

As pointed out, the referee is unsighted, and the linesman is rightly up the pitch, possibly unsighted too. It's the referee's call. In certain situations, he has to decide on the balance of probabilities. In this case, the Brighton player went to ground after a challenge from a player slightly behind him. A foul wasn't an unreasonable call, even if it was the wrong one. It's a good job it didn't lead to an equaliser.

These decisions really do balance out over time.

You'd have to ask him, but a lot of things are let go “early doors”.
Untill its done by a City player it seems to be;-)
But not to book Mitoma for his second kicking of the ball away means City fans have a strong case for saying refs are bias towards us and you can include me with them as that scenario happens too often for it to be a genuine mistake.
Personally I think you have made a rod for your own back defending referees but good luck to you;-)

The protocol is if the linesman thinks there is an offside, to delay the flag:

“When an immediate goal scoring opportunity is likely to occur”

Other than that, the linesman will flag immediately, as they’ve always done.
With a player as fast as Doku, there was a reasonable chance a goal scoring opportunity was coming. The referee should have ignored the flag and played on, as Attwell did earlier this year (Rashford offside).

Untill its done by a City player it seems to be;-)
But not to book Mitoma for his second kicking of the ball away means City fans have a strong case for saying refs are bias towards us and you can include me with them as that scenario happens too often for it to be a genuine mistake.
Personally I think you have made a rod for your own back defending referees but good luck to you;-)
I’m strong enough to take it.

Even if Mitoma had been booked early on, there’s no guarantee he’d have done it again. Therefore the argument is hypothetical.

All fans think referee’s are biased against their teams. Therefore it always seems it only happens against you.

We’re 14th out of 20 for yellow cards so far this season.

I’m strong enough to take it.

Even if Mitoma had been booked early on, there’s no guarantee he’d have done it again. Therefore the argument is hypothetical.

All fans think referee’s are biased against their teams. Therefore it always seems it only happens against you.

We’re 14th out of 20 for yellow cards so far this season.
The fact is Mitoma did kick the ball away twice, nothing hypothetical about that. The fact he didn't book him the first time, which he should have done meant he was not worried about doing it a second time. As for the fact we are 14th out of 20 for yellow cards is still skewed I would imagine considering the possesion and amount of fouls we commit. Another from Saturday, Grealish booked for confronting the linesman. Other players did the same, Foden for one and Brighton players after Grealish was booked. You may quote the LotG but regular match goers see the bias shown against City, especially when the decision is "subjective".
Well done for evading answering the original question;-)

With a player as fast as Doku, there was a reasonable chance a goal scoring opportunity was coming. The referee should have ignored the flag and played on, as Attwell did earlier this year (Rashford offside).

I’ve given up commenting on individual refereeing performances.

I was just pointing out that the guidelines are they should only delay the flag when an immediate goal scoring opportunity is likely to occur. I’ve not even got round to watching it back on Match of the Day yet, so couldn’t really comment on this specific one anyway.

Don’t know which Atwell incident you’re referring to but it’s poor communication if a referee is ever ignoring the flag these days. As we’ve seen with the ‘Mic’d Up’ incidents they’ve covered, the linesman should be making it clear to the referee that he thinks it’s offside and he’s delaying. And the referee should give him the instruction to raise the flag when the opportunity has gone. Or obviously when the ball goes in the goal.

The fact is Mitoma did kick the ball away twice, nothing hypothetical about that. The fact he didn't book him the first time, which he should have done meant he was not worried about doing it a second time. As for the fact we are 14th out of 20 for yellow cards is still skewed I would imagine considering the possesion and amount of fouls we commit. Another from Saturday, Grealish booked for confronting the linesman. Other players did the same, Foden for one and Brighton players after Grealish was booked. You may quote the LotG but regular match goers see the bias shown against City, especially when the decision is "subjective".
Well done for evading answering the original question;-)
To be a slight pedant, you never asked a question.

None of us know what levels of dissent were given to the officials. Grealish seemed more aggressive in his shouting than others.

Ultimately, whatever I suggest, you’ll disagree with, so we might as well leave it there.

Most LotG have elements of subjectivity. This allows different outcomes to come from similar incidents.

Someone on tonight’s match thread came out with “if City had fouled like that, we’d have at least 2 yellow cards”. Now this is a totally subjective opinion based on them thinking we get too many cards.

Spurs have loads more than we do so far this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.