Religion, mammoths and dinosaurs,

The Flash said:
shaiomarali said:
I am intrigued by the idea of how the bite of the forbidden apple from the tree is actually symbolic of a DNA mixing event between extraterrestrials and early hominids, giving hominids a new found ability to acquire intelligence.

It's like the birds and the bees way of extraterrestrials saying, well, we reconfigured your dioxyribose nucleic acid chain by adding new RNA on the nth chain of your DNA tree, do....you....understand???

There is just a big gap in the evolution of intelligence that what is more plausible is outside interference. We have been living with apes for many centuries and none so far have shown as much capacity to develop further intelligence, while we humans seem to become more intelligent in leaps and bounds.

Coming down from the trees and onto the plains meant our sources and variety of food vastly increased.

Standing on two legs also gave us an advantage when it came to hunting, the downside being that our heart, neck and genitals became exposed.

However, the relatively sudden advantages of those two decisions made protein very abundant in our diet which helped accelerate the rate at which our brains grew.

Bingo... Next!!

blueish swede said:
shaiomarali said:
I am intrigued by the idea of how the bite of the forbidden apple from the tree is actually symbolic of a DNA mixing event between extraterrestrials and early hominids, giving hominids a new found ability to acquire intelligence.

It's like the birds and the bees way of extraterrestrials saying, well, we reconfigured your dioxyribose nucleic acid chain by adding new RNA on the nth chain of your DNA tree, do....you....understand???

There is just a big gap in the evolution of intelligence that what is more plausible is outside interference. We have been living with apes for many centuries and none so far have shown as much capacity to develop further intelligence, while we humans seem to become more intelligent in leaps and bounds.

Apes are still hairy /furry though, that's why they are stuck at a lower intelligence level.

Aren't humans genetically closer to pugs than apes???

Bigga said:
Ancient Citizen said:
A virtually complete mammoth is to go on display soon, a Tyrannosaurus skeleton, also virtually complete found in Montana, is also due to make an appearance.
How do religious folk square their beliefs that everything was created by God a few thousand years ago, when, in the case of mammoths, their existence terminated around 13000 years ago, and the T Rex around 65 million years past?
This is directed at some fundamentalist Christians, in the main, and Muslims, although there are a myriad of other faiths with similar views.

I tend to avoid these threads, but every now and then I will participate, briefly...

To be fair you are merely speaking about the 'rubber stamped' view of how a follower of a certain type of religion might see the existence of the planet. Are we any closer to knowing how existence came to be? Not really. Can any guesses be thrown towards a plausible answer? Depends on who's sending and who's receiving the message and answers on both sides of the coins.

I have argued before why there needs to be a separation between religious belief and science as neither are overly conclusive, to a point, where the formation of Life is concerned. The overly zealous 'scientific' amongst you are actually quite similar to the religious 'nut jobs' (as they are described) about the existence of Life on earth. The crux of this argument comes down to the perception of time.

So, what is 'time' and in whose eyes is it relevant? Just because in a Book, the explanation of 'seven days' comes within the form that we know of now, it makes that association of 'time' wrong? Maybe, but what if it couldn't be explained better at the time?

What if that association of time then is similar to a slug's or a microbe or smaller still? Time has no form, but is a concept fashioned into a workable belief system. Time is relative... to whomever believes in the concept.

For all we know, 'seven days' may be 700 million years relative to the existence of something where time has no bearing.

As for the dinosaurs argument, I do believe there is a Book that mentions that life had been made over many times 'in His Image', which again, would not crush a certain religious belief in the existence of a Creator.

We can all be unduly influenced by what we read/ learn, but the ability to fashion thoughts outside of that realm should be the most steadfast strength we have. As science has formed from religion, any way, it makes sense to me that they are a maslin that should work in tandem.

I shall back away from this thread now after typing away, sharing my train of thought...
Science formed from religion?

Nope. You haven't a clue have you.<br /><br />-- Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:54 pm --<br /><br />
BlueBearBoots said:
blueish swede said:
shaiomarali said:

Apes are still hairy /furry though, that's why they are stuck at a lower intelligence level.

Aren't humans genetically closer to pugs than apes???
In a word, no.

SWP's back said:
Bigga said:
Ancient Citizen said:
A virtually complete mammoth is to go on display soon, a Tyrannosaurus skeleton, also virtually complete found in Montana, is also due to make an appearance.
How do religious folk square their beliefs that everything was created by God a few thousand years ago, when, in the case of mammoths, their existence terminated around 13000 years ago, and the T Rex around 65 million years past?
This is directed at some fundamentalist Christians, in the main, and Muslims, although there are a myriad of other faiths with similar views.

I tend to avoid these threads, but every now and then I will participate, briefly...

To be fair you are merely speaking about the 'rubber stamped' view of how a follower of a certain type of religion might see the existence of the planet. Are we any closer to knowing how existence came to be? Not really. Can any guesses be thrown towards a plausible answer? Depends on who's sending and who's receiving the message and answers on both sides of the coins.

I have argued before why there needs to be a separation between religious belief and science as neither are overly conclusive, to a point, where the formation of Life is concerned. The overly zealous 'scientific' amongst you are actually quite similar to the religious 'nut jobs' (as they are described) about the existence of Life on earth. The crux of this argument comes down to the perception of time.

So, what is 'time' and in whose eyes is it relevant? Just because in a Book, the explanation of 'seven days' comes within the form that we know of now, it makes that association of 'time' wrong? Maybe, but what if it couldn't be explained better at the time?

What if that association of time then is similar to a slug's or a microbe or smaller still? Time has no form, but is a concept fashioned into a workable belief system. Time is relative... to whomever believes in the concept.

For all we know, 'seven days' may be 700 million years relative to the existence of something where time has no bearing.

As for the dinosaurs argument, I do believe there is a Book that mentions that life had been made over many times 'in His Image', which again, would not crush a certain religious belief in the existence of a Creator.

We can all be unduly influenced by what we read/ learn, but the ability to fashion thoughts outside of that realm should be the most steadfast strength we have. As science has formed from religion, any way, it makes sense to me that they are a maslin that should work in tandem.

I shall back away from this thread now after typing away, sharing my train of thought...
Science formed from religion?

Nope. You haven't a clue have you.

Rather than revert to insults, I will state that the science of the Human body made its entry via the Muslim religion. Going back even further, there is no evidence that science and worshipping were not in tandem even in Babylonian times (where science has its first steps). To ascertain that science independent from worship would be churlish in the extreme.

Pray tell, show me the evidence that science was borne of its own independence, away from any undue influence of formed worship.

According to some it is already revealed in the bible. Back when Man used to live up to 700-900 years the earth was much more oxygen rich which allowed the long life span, this also enabled all the other animals to do similar and all dinosaurs are are merely lizards that have lived for hundreds of years because apparently reptiles never stop growing throughout their lives. Then after the floods lots of the oxygen was lost to it so we now have the life span that we see and why dinosaurs aren't around anymore. I think the guy explained away carbon dating in a similar way

Edit: lots explain away bone placements as just where the bodies lay in the sediments of the floods

Dj1979 said:
According to some it is already revealed in the bible. Back when Man used to live up to 700-900 years the earth was much more oxygen rich which allowed the long life span, this also enabled all the other animals to do similar and all dinosaurs are are merely lizards that have lived for hundreds of years because apparently reptiles never stop growing throughout their lives. Then after the floods lots of the oxygen was lost to it so we now have the life span that we see and why dinosaurs aren't around anymore. I think the guy explained away carbon dating in a similar way
Too much oxygen would burn out our cells and shorten our life span, that's obviously the Devil's trickery again.

Ban-jani said:
The Flash said:
shaiomarali said:

Coming down from the trees and onto the plains meant our sources and variety of food vastly increased.

Standing on two legs also gave us an advantage when it came to hunting, the downside being that our heart, neck and genitals became exposed.

However, the relatively sudden advantages of those two decisions made protein very abundant in our diet which helped accelerate the rate at which our brains grew.

Bingo... Next!!

interesting theory, though I'm not sure why lions and tigers have not auditioned for Cats since they consume more protein per body weight than us. besides, when we decided to jump down that tree, we aren't really as adept hunters as bears, big cats or big apes.

following your theory, I thought of this. we eventually devised tools to compensate for our lack of speed, predatory instinct and nocturnal prowess, several traits of a protein high animal. in the animal kingdom, we were and still is quite weak when bare handed.

with the evidence that we devised hunting tools, it meant that intelligence came before a high protein diet, not because of a high protein diet. before tools, I hazard a guess that we were scavengers and foragers. intelligence gave us the upper hand.

and another point of your theory is that we were previously tree dwellers. there is indeed an accepted theory of evolution that links man with apes, like chimpanzees. but as I mentioned earlier, there is a big evolution gap, a void of fossilized evidence that link us and our primate - homonid ancestors safe for genetic similarities and to certain extent, physical appearance. it is what transpired in this evolution gap that is of most interest to the topic.

we can't rule out your theory as that might just be exactly what happened in this evolution gap. but what actually transpired during this unknown period is still very much open for debate.

i am interested in the origin of your theory though. reading into it might be enlightening.

Dj1979 said:

Edit: lots explain away bone placements as just where the bodies lay in the sediments of the floods

Man never lived that long. This graph shows atmospheric oxygen over time. Anotomically modern humans appeared 200,000 years ago, which as you can see is a gnat's cock-hair from the end of the x-axis, where oxygen content barely changes.

Figure_27_04_05f.jpg

Mustard Dave said:
Dj1979 said:

Man never lived that long. This graph shows atmospheric oxygen over time. Anotomically modern humans appeared 200,000 years ago, which as you can see is a gnat's cock-hair from the end of the x-axis, where oxygen content barely changes.

Figure_27_04_05f.jpg

any mention what caused that sudden dip 300 million years ago?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.