Richard Keys "City blow a fortune"

I'm sure one of his sons supports Manchester United .
Anyway it's nowt new getting attacked from someone who worked for Rupert Murdoch .
To be fair he isn't a bad sports presenter .
And he's a lot better than what sky have now .

Last edited:
Did we also have the oldest squad the year before when we won the league? Quite an achievement when you think about it. Can't understand why nobody mentioned it.

Maybe our squad all aged four years when everyone else just gained one.

Exactly. This bit tickled me as well:

It leaves us where we are now, that is in a disadvantaged position of having to pay very big money for younger / English players in this window to redress the balance.

I'd love to know who these players are who would've been cheaper to buy last summer and how also being in the market for the best young players in the world somehow puts us at a disadvantage.

Can't take any of this guy's posts seriously and it does continue to beg the question how such obvious trolls/rags whatever you want to call them still post with impunity. There's little you can do as they manage to operate on the fringes of the CoC without violating it. Doesn't change the obviousness of their intentions IMO.

There is no denying that we need to increase the number of "homegrown" players within the City squad, however, the reason for this number being lower than we need isn't as simple as "we didn't bother to deal with it" as the overly hirsute moron is attesting.

Homegrown talent, in the main, tends to be English, and even if it isn't, it tends to still be playing for an English club. This means that there's the inherited premium on the price for the player. City have grown their squad, in terms of quality, very quickly, and as such we needed to find high quality players. English high quality players were few and far between, and very, very expensive. Over the last 5 or 6 years how many top quality English players have become available, and City have "missed out on"? Not exactly a lot is it? So, in order to address the situation we'd have needed to spend a fortune, or go for lower quality options. Rodwell and Sinclair. There you go. Adam Johnson too. We have bought howgrown players, but they've turned out to be not of the required standard. You could argue we penny pinched, but I don't believe that's necessarily the case.

Another reason is that we've not been able to develop players of our own of sufficient standard, at least not yet. Again, that's a by-product of how quickly we've improved on the playing field. Players who 6 or 7 years ago would have been good enough to play for City are now not in the right class. If we produced a Stephen Ireland, Micah Richards, Nedum Onouha, Kieran Trippier or Ben Mee tomorrow from the EDS squad, would they be good enough for the first team? In most instances you'd say no. For me there's only Trippier I'd consider for a squad spot, and he'd be rotation at best, and more likely a backup. It's an unfortunate side effect of rapid improvement that your youth setup falls behind. It'll catch up, and with the likes of Lopes, Barker, Bryan, Angelino and Denayer coming through that may be sooner than some think.

Long term the "homegrown" issue won't be one at all, we'll deal with it through maybe a big naming signing every once in a while, but mainly it'll be via internal development.

Of course, Keys ignores all of the above, and goes for the tired argument that it's mismanagement, because you get to be involved at the top level of football at both Barcelona, then Manchester City, if you're incapable of doing the basics right don't you......?

Can’t say it even annoyed me as the whole premise of his argument is based on subjective opinions and assumptions:

• City would dominate in Europe if Mancini was still in charge. Our performances in the Champions League under him suggested otherwise and Mancini’s results in Turkey and back at Inter don’t imply that we’re massively missing him. I love Bob for what he did, but there is no evidence that we would be doing lot better with him than without.

• Milner leaving was because of Fernando. Both Mancini and Pellers did not rate Milner as a central midfield player and he doesn’t play there for England either. Keys assumes that Milner left because he didn’t play in the middle but that’s not a fact and even if it’s true the sub text is that Milner is not good enough to play in the middle for a team that wants to win the Champions League. If he was he wouldn’t have gone to Liverpool. It’s also subjective to say that ‘Milner never lets you down’ - that may be true in terms of work-rate, but he often has games where his first touch, short passing and final ball are lacking.

• Even the argument that we should have bought home grown players sooner is debatable – who exactly should we have bought? And when? And for how much? The reason we might sign Sterling and Wilshere is that they are two home-grown players who might be available now and might be good enough for us.

Exactly. This bit tickled me as well:

I'd love to know who these players are who would've been cheaper to buy last summer and how also being in the market for the best young players in the world somehow puts us at a disadvantage.

Can't take any of this guy's posts seriously and it does continue to beg the question how such obvious trolls/rags whatever you want to call them still post with impunity. There's little you can do as they manage to operate on the fringes of the CoC without violating it. Doesn't change the obviousness of their intentions IMO.
No what they do is start other threads criticising the users in general for not agreeing with them and behaving raggish because people pull their posts apart.
It's the new PC way, you can't call it as you see it "as I have rights too you know and you're all beastly for telling me I'm posting bullshit".

No what they do is start other threads criticising the users in general for not agreeing with them and behaving raggish because people pull their posts apart.
It's the new PC way, you can't call it as you see it "as I have rights too you know and you're all beastly for telling me I'm posting bullshit".

Personally I think the sooner we get our business done the sooner certain elements disappear off the forum. There's a window of opportunity they have to express their insecurity which is going to close on their necks if they're not careful as Txiki begins to land his targets.

Personally I think the sooner we get our business done the sooner certain elements disappear off the forum. There's a window of opportunity they have to express their insecurity which is going to close on their necks if they're not careful as Txiki begins to land his targets.
I'm pretty chilled about it all. Whatever happens we'll still be here and still supporting City

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.