Rishi Sunak

To be fair it was, he’d have been 9 when Sky launched in 1989.

Still doesn’t alter the fact he’s a useless fuckwit with no grasp on reality.

Technically 84 for Sky TV as it used to be on cable in very limited areas of the country but Satellites took an age to roll out. Id say up until mid 90's Sky was very rare. it was after minidishes that came out in 99 that it really took off.

someone of his ( only a few years younger than me ) generation saying it is not the same at all as someone saying it now. Its pretty much on par saying "I didn't have a mobile phone as a kid",

Technically 84 for Sky TV as it used to be on cable in very limited areas of the country but Satellites took an age to roll out. Id say up until mid 90's Sky was very rare. it was after minidishes that came out in 99 that it really took off.

someone of his ( only a few years younger than me ) generation saying it is not the same at all as someone saying it now. Its pretty much on par saying "I didn't have a mobile phone as a kid",

True.

We had old school sky in the mid 90s and I remember you had to manually type in the channel numbers which were completely arbitrary. Chanel 8637483 to watch the Simpsons or 9484737283 to tune into the Christian shopping channel or whatever. And it was usually pretty fuzzy. But maybe that’s just my memory as a kid at the time.

Sky Digital with the menus and EPG stuff was a game changer. Was like living in the Jetsons when that came out!

I’d assumed that his parents didn’t allow him to buy Sky TV the company, not a subscription.

They had 1m households subscribing in 1990, and hit 4m by 1994, so a lot more common than mobiles at that time.

yes, not widespread back then. Just not a sign of hardship!

They had 1m households subscribing in 1990, and hit 4m by 1994, so a lot more common than mobiles at that time.

1m mobile phone sub's in the UK in 1990, up to 16% of all households having one in 95.

Either way. the more he speaks the more he shows he's totally disconnected from reality. and this is comming from someone who actually quite likes Sunak. I dont agree with a lot of his policies etc but he did seem as though he had some charisma at least.

Last edited:
1m mobile phone sub's in the UK in 1990, up to 16% of all households having one in 95.

Either way. the more he speaks the more he shows he's totally disconnected from reality. and this is comming from someone who actually quite likes Sunak. I dont agree with a lot of his policies etc but he did seem as though he had some charisma at least.

I think it's a bit different as mobile subs were primarily a business thing first. Then rich people and drug dealers. I remember seeing Peter Hook with one when he was with Caroline Aherne, so post 1993, and it stood out then as something odd. At that point, I knew lots of fairly normal people who'd got Sky.

I know what you mean about Sunak though. He has the confidence of an ex-public school boy who has done very, very well. But he wasn't considered to have done particularly well when competing with Truss for the leadership, and I think a lot of his appeal was that he was the guy in place when the free money was coming. Politics is easy when you've given half the country tens of thousands of pounds each. As soon as he's not in control of the narrative, he clearly struggles.

I said the other day that Teresa May managed to be an MP for 20 years, and a senior minister for over half a decade, but it was only when she started campaigning at an election as the face of the Tories, that people realised just how much of an oddball she was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.