Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs to up his work rate a bit but I'll cut him some slack as it's still essentially pre season. System relies on everyone putting on a meaningful press and he's a little too lackadasical in my view. He'll need to adjust to playing against defenses which are more packed in but you can see the class there. Will be exciting to see him more as it clicks in this system.
Leicester and Algerian fans alike criticize his workrate, but I'm not sure if he's just lazy or the way he runs makes him look like so. But what I don't understand is if his work rate is so bad, why have all his coaches in Leicester and now Pep not try fix this about him?

What I don't understand is if his work rate is so bad, why have all his coaches in Leicester and now Pep not try fix this about him?

Seems pretty obvious he was allowed to get away with it at those teams, or even that he wasn't asked to do it. Ranieri's Leicester was pretty much a 4411 with Mahrez and Vardy being allowed to stay out of the defensive stuff so they were free to counter attack, and then post 2016 he was their best ever player and no one was going to tell the PFA POTY he wasn't doing enough.

It will come, Pep won't let anyone get away with low intensity off the ball, and if Mahrez wanted an easy ride he wouldn't have left Leicester.

Hes a very fit player and he glides around the pitch ,maybe thats why some think hes got poor workrate,its nonsense to be fair
When City broke he was exactly where he needed to be,and he was full of tricks once he received possession, in other words the ground he covered hadnt tired him at all

So why are we all saying he has a poor workrate all of a sudden? I'm aware that naysayers were suggesting it to be an issue before he came, but it feels a little reactionary (maybe to Sunday?) all of a sudden

Seems pretty obvious he was allowed to get away with it at those teams, or even that he wasn't asked to do it. Ranieri's Leicester was pretty much a 4411 with Mahrez and Vardy being allowed to stay out of the defensive stuff so they were free to counter attack, and then post 2016 he was their best ever player and no one was going to tell the PFA POTY he wasn't doing enough.

It will come, Pep won't let anyone get away with low intensity off the ball, and if Mahrez wanted an easy ride he wouldn't have left Leicester.

Wait what ??? Absolutely not, under Ranieri Mahrez was spending 95% of the time in his own 40meters, being a true fullback. Only vards was free.

Riyad is not lazy, he just seems to be and this, even in attacking situations. He plays like he don't give a f*ck. However even if he tries, he's a very bad defender.

Wait what ??? Absolutely not, under Ranieri Mahrez was spending 95% of the time in his own 40meters, being a true fullback. Only vards was free.

Riyad is not lazy, he just seems to be and this, even in attacking situations. He plays like he don't give a f*ck. However even if he tries, he's a very bad defender.
Yeah besides if he really is lazy he wouldn't be playing. Like with Sané last year after his 'poor preseason'.

Since some of this was based on a reply to my post I will try to clarify a bit. He doesn't seem lazy to me, I was just referring to the intensity of his press. Right now, to my eyes, he gets in the neighborhood of the man he needs to be marking but he's not closing him down seriously trying to dispossess him. But it's pre-season and he may just be going through the motions. That's all I was getting at, at least.

I was one of those that took a wait and see approach to him being moved off the right and I’ve been more that happy with his work rate and even been a little surprised at how efficient he’s been when sticking a foot in. He’s had his fair share of tackles but of course we all know it’s not about the tackles.

Has there been some update to the forum with autocorrect and predictive texts on here for mobile @Ric? @Dax777 it seems out of control rn.

My general couple questions about him, all which may be situation-appropriate:

- does he need to be asked to drive to the goal? His natural instinct is to drift back and take kooky shots from 15+ out it seems? (Whereas sterling runs to the net and gets tap-ins, which he’s then bizarrely disparaged for making and maligned for the .099% missing)

- is he better on the left (in place of sane) just messing stuff up in the box and crossing stuff in and meanwhile letting Mendy overlap?

- is he better alongside Dave or Kdb playing through balls with sterling, kun/Jesus, sane ahead of him?

And obv he can do all three (and more!)...but what’s best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.