Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s pissing me off, stevie wonder could read him at present

More direct and have a go at the fullback on the outside once in a while, the one time he did yesterday drew a foul and a card, yet he let him off for the remainder
This frustrated me, as well. As soon as Digne was booked I said to the missus “Riyad is now going to run at him with the ball at every reasonable opportunity.” But he actually seemingly stopped doing it after that.

Now, we have certain tactics and a system of play, so there is no need to abandon it just because a fullback picked up a yellow card. However, Sane, Sterling, and even Mahrez (in previous matches), when isolated with defenders, often take them on to get in to favourable crossing or shooting positions (with a chance of losing the ball each time), so it must be ordained (or even encouraged by Pep) in most matches (though, perhaps not all).

That is why it was all the more puzzling why, after putting Digne in the precarious position so early on in the game, Riyad very rarely tested him. His delayed passing and slightly off linkup play was on show yesterday, as well, as others have pointed out.

I do think he will get better in that regard (and in general) as he further adapts to our system and builds an understanding with his teammates (Bernardo, David, and Kev in particular), though. I think this is the “hit or miss” frustrating period we saw with most of the current legends (I can remember some of the criticisms David was getting in his first year with us). We just have to push through it.

Mahrez is becoming an important part of the squad , had my doubts about him when he joined and questioned if we really needed another creative wide player , but he his showing his class now , Pep can rotate Raheem , Sane and Mahrez along with Kun,Jesus,KDB,Merlin and Bernardo thats eight top clas forward thinking players fighting for five places in the team and not forgetting Foden who hopefully will still get game time in the cups and from the bench

He always looks threatening and that creates space for others is teams double up on him. Don’t understand the critics he gets, it likes we want our new players to fail.

Don't categorise me in that group. I have seen enough football at City to make my own mind up based on what I see and not what others say.

And if you think Mahrez "always looked threatening" yesterday then I can't imagine you were at the game.

Almost everything and anything that actually was threatening came down City's left. The opposite side to the peripheral Mahrez.

Theres always one , an 18 year old with a dozen league starts under his belt compared to a premier title winner where he played a major part and a proven match winner , absolute codswallop

Sancho could possibly do the same by helping Dortmund win the league this season.

He's already proved to be a good signing, for now he's adding depth and the ability to rotate more than we could before which has come in handy with Aguero and KDB out.

I think people's frustration comes not from the fact he has been poor, he's been good and scored some important goals and created important chances... I realise I sound like Pellegrini there but he has. The frustration comes from the fact that we know we haven't seen the best version of Mahrez in a City shirt yet, it could be we have to wait until next season for that or maybe in the second half of the season if we are lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.