Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good game by him, but as usual, need to give new players alot of time to adjust.

Hopefully Pep will have a word with him. The way he stood off Maguire and refused to tackle him in the build up to Leicester's goal when the ball was there to be won was shitehousery, something Sane was guilty of in his first season.

He's been here for half a season. Sterling was underwhelming for his first two seasons and look at him now.

He has been better off the bench for us. Gives us some thing different after raz and Leroy have torn teams to shreds for 65 mins. Utter rubbish tonight but it must have been quite emotional for him so I’m sure we can let him off. It’s his first season with us. Only the truly world class players fit in right away

I think he’s got to start improving if he wants to start more games. Raz and Sane to start every time for me. 60 million is overpriced for what we’re getting at the moment.I hope he gets his act together soon

He's been here for half a season. Sterling was underwhelming for his first two seasons and look at him now.
Difference is Sterling was very young when he arrived and it was clear he wasn’t the finished product. Mahrez is soon 28 years old and won’t be able to develop much apart from his football brain. Imo it’s obvious that he’s a very good player, however I don’t know if he’s a good tactical fit for us. Needs to step up in the coming months.

For years at Leicester when he was in those positions his instructions would have been either score or give it to Vardy. In fact in most positions on the pitch his instructions would have been either do something special or give it to Vardy. To change multiple seasons worth of thinking takes time, discipline and practice. It took Aguero over a year to change his rather individualistic style into a more Pep friendly one, but he did it and we're reaping the rewards for it. This is a similar one to my point about Bernardo's positioning in the other thread; they aren't playing like this to be difficult, it's because that's how they know how to play and are in a process of adapting to a new role. I imagine Mahrez will take a similar path in his development.

Besides, if we can see these issues do you not think the coaches can too? The fact he's still playing regularly makes me believe the coaching staff has faith in him to eradicate any old bad habits. Unfortunately until he does clear up he's going to continue to make these plays. But he's also going to improve and wisen up, which should excite us.

Difference is Sterling was very young when he arrived and it was clear he wasn’t the finished product. Mahrez is soon 28 years old and won’t be able to develop much apart from his football brain. Imo it’s obvious that he’s a very good player, however I don’t know if he’s a good tactical fit for us. Needs to step up in the coming months.
Why can't he improve though? Fernandinho, Silva, Delph, Aguero and Otamendi are all players who've shown that age is only a number under Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.