Roberto publicly criticizing players...

Seemed to work again lastnight , certain individuals either rise up or crumble. i.e. Ireland. A good manager is one that can find a good blend and knows when to kick off big style and when to put a quiet word in someones ear, lets see what happens . I for one, am all for constructive criticism , lets have it right we all have needed a good fuckin`/rollicking /call it what you want , in our past lives . Makes me piss with laughter when football fans do it every week. Mourinhio ,Fergie, et-all do it quite often they do it subtly you either get the desired result ,or change tact.

WNRH said:
Is it fair to say Billy that Roberto knows what he is doing in that respect?
I don't recall managers like Mercer, Busby, Shankly or even Big Mal publicly talking about players who they thought needed to improve. They were great managers because they knew exactly what buttons to push for each player. With Neil Young it was usually an arm round the shoulder and a quiet word because Neil was a player who needed his confidence boosting. With Buzzer, it was a kick up the backside because he was an abrasive character who would adopt an "I'll show you you tosser" attitude. But it would all be done in private, behind closed doors.

Roberto may feel that a public criticism is helpful but that can also backfire.

Prestwich_Blue said:
WNRH said:
Is it fair to say Billy that Roberto knows what he is doing in that respect?
I don't recall managers like Mercer, Busby, Shankly or even Big Mal publicly talking about players who they thought needed to improve. They were great managers because they knew exactly what buttons to push for each player. With Neil Young it was usually an arm round the shoulder and a quiet word because Neil was a player who needed his confidence boosting. With Buzzer, it was a kick up the backside because he was an abrasive character who would adopt an "I'll show you you tosser" attitude. But it would all be done in private, behind closed doors.

Roberto may feel that a public criticism is helpful but that can also backfire.

It can but like i said previously, the difference between a good manager and a bad one is knowing what treatment to give underperforming players, the wrong choice can backfire.

Mercer, Busby, Shankly or even Big Mal might not have publicly "criticised" the players but the modern day greats such as Ferguson and Mourinho have plenty of times.

Mourinho does it to Cole and Benzema (I doubt they're the only examples, they're just the ones I remember) and it's part of what makes him the bestest manager in the world.

Mancini does it to Dzeko (who agrees he needs to improve) and Balotelli (who then puts in an excellent all round performance) and it's poor man management.

Mancini does criticise players a fair bit. Usually those he criticises is along the lines of 'he can be a world class talent but needs to work harder/work for the team/concentrate' etc so basically he keeps raising the bar for the players to aim at. AJ was one. Micah, who everyone on here pretty much wrote off, is seemingly coming on strong under Mancini. Even Lescott is coming on nicely.

Balotelli is slightly different because Mancini actually takes the piss out of him sometimes (and Balo took the piss out of Mancini and his English in one interview I read) so there is a definite bond there.

I said before the season started that Mancini will create a relatively harsh environment and some players will thrive and others will wilt. Mancini is not popular with the players because no matter how well they do he wants to improve. It is I imagine relentless stuff and add in the fact he detaches himself from the players means he is unlikely to be invited round for Xmas drinks. This attitude will only 'endear' him (and I use the term 'endear' loosely) to those players who have the talent and (more importantly) the mentality to keep improving and keep working.

The fact that it seemingly bothers a lot of you is slightly strange as I assumed we wanted the players who have the necessary talent and (more importantly) the mentality to keep improving and keep working. We could I suppose try a different tack and indulge ourselves by sticking with say the Stevie Ireland's of this world but to be honest I can't see it bringing the success needed by the owners

I accept that the Mancini attitude is alien to City and to us as a fanbase and that it is largely unpopular and it is a great stick to beat Mancini with on the days we have a bad performance or bad result. But no manager or amount of money will ever eliminate bad/indifferent performances or bad/indifferent results. They just reduce the likelihood of them happening.

I would also add this micro analysis of well everything is very unhealthy especially as everytime Mancini's position on here looks a wee bit shakey he invariably pulls off a result that cuts people off at the knees. This can be very frustrating and bad for the health. So on behalf off the 'Dead Man Walking' lets raise our glasses to a job well done last night and look forward to the QF of the FA Cup and whatever else this season may bring.

And dudes just chill :)

sweep said:
Mourinho does it to Cole and Benzema (I doubt they're the only examples, they're just the ones I remember) and it's part of what makes him the bestest manager in the world.

Mancini does it to Dzeko (who agrees he needs to improve) and Balotelli (who then puts in an excellent all round performance) and it's poor man management.

A slight difference - Mou did it when his team were winning - Mancini tends to do it after a bad performance/result.

As much as no one will believe me, this isn't just a stick to beat Roberto with - I genuinely don't like to see players criticized in the way Roberto's done it after poor performances. Maybe you're all right and it'll work...

How come I dont see a thread about Mancini publicly commending players??

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.aggbot.com/docs/link.php?id=12717269&f=1&c=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aggbot.com/docs/link.php?id= ... 9&f=1&c=45</a>

And Zap aint the only he has commended..

So I'm curious....all those who lectured me about how Roberto knows Mario better than anyone else and if he see fit to criticize him blah blah blah...

Tell me, what lasting positive effect do you think it's had....?

And what lasting positive effect will hanging him out to dry again last night - AND - saying he won't be in the squad for Chelsea have....?

Does anyone think Mario will be at his house in cheshire licking his wounds, or in Milan by Sunday night hanging out with his mates....farcical.

BillyShears said:
So I'm curious....all those who lectured me about how Roberto knows Mario better than anyone else and if he see fit to criticize him blah blah blah...

Tell me, what lasting positive effect do you think it's had....?

And what lasting positive effect will hanging him out to dry again last night - AND - saying he won't be in the squad for Chelsea have....?

Does anyone think Mario will be at his house in cheshire licking his wounds, or in Milan by Sunday night hanging out with his mates....farcical.

I'm hoping Mario will not be given leave to go anywhere and will be on the bench desperate to play. I am also glad Mancini didn't go over the top but was honest.

By the way, this is being discussed in the Balo thread and isn't the first thread on this today.

Oh and the media aren't fully in agreement that Mancini did hang him out to dry:

2s9a9on.png

Have a listen to the interview:

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/9428455.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 428455.stm</a>

He won't be the squad for Sunday according to the manager. If that's not hanging a player out to dry I don't know what is...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.