Robinho.

BillyShears said:
I got an interesting lecture on the Robinho conundrum tonight...

Purely from a footballing point of view, his position is wide left of a front three. He's got the vast vast majority of his goals and assists when playing in that position. I guess that's pretty obvious though. The part which got me thinking was that he's actually not versatile at all. He simply can't play in any other position. So in effect, as soon as you put him wide left of a midfield four, he becomes completely redundant because he just can't play there. It doesn't suit his abilities or his natural instincts. It's the equivalent of playing Petrov as a centre forward.

Think wide left of a front three or in a "free" role he would excel ...............No excuse for his lack of application BUT it was extremely worrying that Mancini replaced a 6ft + centre forward with a lightweight ball player when we already had Petrov on the park, Everton away is always difficult , Everton away with an agenda of revenge in their minds is about as difficult it gets in this league.

BillyShears said:

Purely from a footballing point of view, his position is wide left of a front three. He's got the vast vast majority of his goals and assists when playing in that position. I guess that's pretty obvious though. The part which got me thinking was that he's actually not versatile at all. He simply can't play in any other position. So in effect, as soon as you put him wide left of a midfield four, he becomes completely redundant because he just can't play there. It doesn't suit his abilities or his natural instincts. It's the equivalent of playing Petrov as a centre forward.

Who gave you this lecture billy? A good number of posters on here have been saying this for months and for me its the main reason why I was bemused by Hughes' efforts to play 4-4-2 when it seemed all summer he had been buying players for a 4-3-3.

I don't think Robinho has to play on the left side of a front 3, he's slightly more versatile than that but only very slightly! He can be played in any formation than can afford to have a player playing on the left, high up the pitch with no defensive duties whatsoever. When we bought Barry, a left sided defensive midfielder who also plays as a full back, I thought we did so with this in mind but I guess I was wrong.

He could play as a second striker in a 4-4-2 in less physically demanding league but his few outings in this role for us have been pretty dismal so far. Really to get the best out of Robbi, and probably Ireland too, we need to go back to the 4-3-3 that we were playing under Hughes when he first arrived. When this worked for us last season it was spectacular and when it didn't it was due to being too defensive with Kompany and De Jong in the middle or too lightweight with Ireland and Elano. Barry should in theory be exactly the player we we're missing all along to get the whole thing ticking

Why doesn't he try losing some weight whilst he's waiting to become the best player in the world

depps said:
BillyShears said:

Who gave you this lecture billy? A good number of posters on here have been saying this for months and for me its the main reason why I was bemused by Hughes' efforts to play 4-4-2 when it seemed all summer he had been buying players for a 4-3-3.

I don't think Robinho has to play on the left side of a front 3, he's slightly more versatile than that but only very slightly! He can be played in any formation than can afford to have a player playing on the left, high up the pitch with no defensive duties whatsoever. When we bought Barry, a left sided defensive midfielder who also plays as a full back, I thought we did so with this in mind but I guess I was wrong.

He could play as a second striker in a 4-4-2 in less physically demanding league but his few outings in this role for us have been pretty dismal so far. Really to get the best out of Robbi, and probably Ireland too, we need to go back to the 4-3-3 that we were playing under Hughes when he first arrived. When this worked for us last season it was spectacular and when it didn't it was due to being too defensive with Kompany and De Jong in the middle or too lightweight with Ireland and Elano. Barry should in theory be exactly the player we we're missing all along to get the whole thing ticking

I thought the same thing when we signed Barry. I was licking my lips at the prospect in the summer. Barry, Ireland, and De Jong, with a front three. Strangely enough, Hughes' signing of Tevez put paid to that because Hughes himself didn't think Tevez could play as a lone striker, and Tevez doesn't like or excel playing wide right or wide left.

Since Mancini's come in, we've had Ireland injured, problems at centre back meaning Vinnie has had to drop back there, effectively leaving us short in the centre of the park. So Mancini's had to play 442 out of necessity so far. What we'll see over the course of the rest of the season, is whether once he has all his players fit, he chooses to play 433 or 442.

I read today that he said he fully expects Viera to play 20 games this season. For me, that implies that he expects to play 433 because Viera is never going to play in a 442.

PaleBlue said:
Not his biggest fan this season - if he plays in the Semis and plays well fair enough, if he fails miserably he can fook off for me before the end of the month.

I hope he scores tomorrow night cos he's not shit - he is however getting shit from all corners of the media globe and from a lot of City fans - probably the same fans who didn't rate Anelka and still don't to this day. As for him fooking off before the end of the month - who would you replace him with? It's just not feasible to let him go.

BillyShears said:
depps said:

I thought the same thing when we signed Barry. I was licking my lips at the prospect in the summer. Barry, Ireland, and De Jong, with a front three. Strangely enough, Hughes' signing of Tevez put paid to that because Hughes himself didn't think Tevez could play as a lone striker, and Tevez doesn't like or excel playing wide right or wide left.

Since Mancini's come in, we've had Ireland injured, problems at centre back meaning Vinnie has had to drop back there, effectively leaving us short in the centre of the park. So Mancini's had to play 442 out of necessity so far. What we'll see over the course of the rest of the season, is whether once he has all his players fit, he chooses to play 433 or 442.

I read today that he said he fully expects Viera to play 20 games this season. For me, that implies that he expects to play 433 because Viera is never going to play in a 442.

I'd hope that most of those 20 games will be coming of the bench to close out games we are winning!

As for Tevez, if we were to play him on the right I don't think we would have to ask him to play as wide as Fergie as he was doing this to accommodate 2 out of Ronaldo, Rooney and Berbaflop through the middle. We would hopefully be asking him to partner upfront with Ade but stick to the right hand side to allow space for Robbi on the left. We don't necessarily need to have 2 wide players (Barcelona don't play with any natural wingers), symmetry is over rated in football formations!

Ideally if everyone was available I would like to see us line up like this:

.......................Ade
............................Tevez
.....Robinho
.....................Ireland
...............Barry.......De Jong

Which when we are going forward the midfield 3 would look more like:

..............Barry.........Ireland
.....................De Jong

And with Ireland being right footed he should naturally drift out to that side a bit more giving us width when Tevez comes inside. Some matches we may feel our best option is to attack teams down the flanks and try and get some crosses in so we can bring in Sweep for Tevez and/or Petrov for Robbi to give us more typical wide play. Bellamy also offers another alternative approach on either side of the front 3.

For tomorrow, with Benji being our only target man available, I would go with Tevez through the middle with Robinho and Bellamy on either side and try and hit them with our pace on the counter attack. I'd go with Ireland form the start as well even if he isn't 100 percent and bring sweep on after 60 minutes to run at a tiring united defence, shifting Kompany into the midfield 3 at the expense of either Bellamy or Robbi (whichever is tiring more or not performing) to protect the 3 goal lead we will have at that stage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.