Rodney Marsh and Dennis Tueart

As Joe Mercer said after we had thrown the title away in such glorious fashion, '£200,000 is a lot of money to spend to lose the title'.

We were 6 points clear at the top of the table when he arrived, when it was 2 points for a win with only a few games left to play. Lee and Davies had been working well together, and his arrival derailed everything.

Not only at the end of the 71-72 season. It carried on into the next. I don't think we won a game until November.

We had the title sewn up, he came in, and it all went to pot after that.

I don't blame Marsh, as he has said on numerous occasions he wasn't the right player for City and he wasn't fit enough when he joined. He was a special individual to watch when the ball was at his feet, he weaved his magic when he wanted, but I put the blame on Allison for bringing him in.

49 years later, it still rankles we lost the title in 1972 in such fashion, but it has to be said Gordon Banks had a huge part to play in our freefall that season as well.
Before he came City were a team of direct pace. The opposition could have a corner and City could score from it seconds later due to Buzzer and Franny’s pace.
Rodney arrived and breaks turned into platforms for his poncing about with the ball, the taking the piss that some on here seem to value.
Yes he scored some wonder goals, the casual side foot from outside the area at the swamp, the goal against Newcastle where he beat most of their defence to score and even their players applauded, but he did cost us the title.

Last edited:
Before he came City we’re a team of direct pace. The opposition could have a corner and City could score from it seconds later due to Buzzer and Franny’s pace.
Rodney arrived and breaks turned into platforms for his poncing about with the ball, the taking the piss that some on here seem to value.
Yes he scored some wonder goals, the casual side foot from outside the area at the swamp, the goal against Newcastle where he beat most of their defence to score and even their players applauded, but he did cost us the title.
Have to disagree. HE didn't cost us the title, it was the people who signed him and built the team around him that cost us the title.
My first time seeing him "live" was the first home game of the 73/74 season v Birmingham City. Will always remember him putting their right back on his arse and floating a lovely cross to law, who seemed to float/hover and put the ball away with a great header.
I was too young to understand the politics of the day, but he certainly was a magical performer and I for one loved watching him play !

MCMWS Page caught up with former blues superstar Rodney Marsh during March for a 'Tales of Blue' Q&A on his City memories......A real straight talker who simply tells it as it was !!

NEW SUB-SCRIBERS TO THE CHANNEL WELCOME

Brilliant mate, thanks for posting.
I remember his first season with us, he was a bit chubby and slow, but very classy player.

Have to disagree. HE didn't cost us the title, it was the people who signed him and built the team around him that cost us the title.
My first time seeing him "live" was the first home game of the 73/74 season v Birmingham City. Will always remember him putting their right back on his arse and floating a lovely cross to law, who seemed to float/hover and put the ball away with a great header.
I was too young to understand the politics of the day, but he certainly was a magical performer and I for one loved watching him play !
How do you build a team round a player you sign in March with 6 games left?
We were clear and walking the league. He arrived and City’s game changed.
Franny, Buzzer and Bell all said so.

Broke my 12 year old heart when he left in 1975 to Tampa Bay Rowdies....
He is still in Tampa and so am I!
Asked him (via a friend who has a mutual friend who knows him) to be the President of the Tampa Bay City supporters club.
did he agree to become President

iv asked him twice on twitter if he cost us the league in 72 and both times he has said yes

one time i asked him i had said something like " i was a young kid but my dad always says you cost us the league"
he replied
" tell your dad he is right "

i was 7 in 1972 and Rodney was a real hero for me and i guess other young kids at that time

i always remember one game ( correct me if i'm wrong ) he was taking the mickey out of an opposition player by dribbling and teasing him repeatedly,it got that bad he just sat down on the ball for a second or two teasing the player even more,I'm sure i witnessed that.

alwayd remember him falling to his knees when he crossed the ball into the box for i think Colin to equalise for us v wolves in the 1974 league cup.final

what a showman he was.

iv asked him twice on twitter if he cost us the league in 72 and both times he has said yes

one time i asked him i had said something like " i was a young kid but my dad always says you cost us the league"
he replied
" tell your dad he is right "

i was 7 in 1972 and Rodney was a real hero for me and i guess other young kids at that time

i always remember one game ( correct me if i'm wrong ) he was taking the mickey out of an opposition player by dribbling and teasing him repeatedly,it got that bad he just sat down on the ball for a second or two teasing the player even more,I'm sure i witnessed that.

alwayd remember him falling to his knees when he crossed the ball into the box for i think Colin to equalise for us v wolves in the 1974 league cup.final

what a showman he was.
Yes blue44 I was also there when he started showboating by sitting on the ball.I have a feeling it was a night match and he actually scored a worldie towards the Scoreboard End/North Stand when he bent the ball around three players into the bottom corner.
No doubt about it he had unbelievable talent but a player you didn`t need on a wet Tuesday night at Stoke.

How do you build a team round a player you sign in March with 6 games left?
We were clear and walking the league. He arrived and City’s game changed.
Franny, Buzzer and Bell all said so.
Agree except he didn't buy himself and pick the teams.... did he? Who slotted him into the team? Thats where you need to look for someone to blame no?

I cannot deny his arrival had an impact, negative impact even but I find it hard to lay the blame at his door.

I was told by an ex member of the board who is named as a good friend of big Mal in the book "Allison in wonderland", that it was infact Tueart, who was despised by the rest of the team.
why was he despised?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.