Rodri Injury Updates | TNT & ESPN reporting ACL | Still nothing official

Everybody should stop flapping and trust Pep to come up with a solution if Rodders is out for a long period.

We have Guardiol, Stones, Akanji, Kovacic, Gundogan, Stones and Grealish who could all do a job there.

Remember when we were struggling for a left back and Pep put Fabian Delph in that position, he took to it like a duck to water.

I suspect Guardiol will be the answer with Lewis at left back.

Pep will solve it so I’m not worried.

I remember once Pep saying he could see Foden 1 day playing as a 6. I don’t think that will be the solution here but it shows how he sees football compared to others. He may put Lewis & 1 other which means we have less in attack. Teams may come at us thinking we are weaker & leave space but Pep will solve it.

Rodris played 60 mins this season & we are already top.

This is the one for me. We won a Centurions title and a domestic treble with Fabian Delph and a 20-year-old Zinchenko at LB. Pep will find something.

Left back is a less pressured position, and Pep was pushing the left back into midfield much of the time anyway, so it was probably an easier transition.

Gvardiol looks like a great player, but it's a huge step up going from the left back role to the DM in a City team. 50% of Rodris role is in his head, being in the right place, at the right time, and I don't think Gvardiol has the experience and awareness to do that yet.

The problem with buying a proper back up for Rodri, not Kalvin Phillips, is he isn't going to sit on the bench waiting for him to get injured, he will want to play all the time. That's the dilemma. We will just have to go with what we have and see where it takes us.
Agreed and I completely agree why we didn’t get an understudy for the bench. However given the length of time Rodri may be out we may now decide to do something in January

Left back is a less pressured position, and Pep was pushing the left back into midfield much of the time anyway, so it was probably an easier transition.

Gvardiol looks like a great player, but it's a huge step up going from the left back role to the DM in a City team. 50% of Rodris role is in his head, being in the right place, at the right time, and I don't think Gvardiol has the experience and awareness to do that yet.
That’s the problem but there’s nothing we can do about a bad knee injury, which is what Pep has to do, and will do

Great post. Very rarely a player in his position is made favorite for a Ballon Do'or. There is literally nobody who can replace him. Definitely nobody who would be happy to sit on the bench anyway.

I would personally go back to the 4 solid defenders we had at the back end of the treble season who didnt push forwards as much with Kovacic in front. Let Gundogan play alongside him so we have control of the tempo and the other 4 can carry on as usual.

I'm not too worried about the smaller games as we have done ok without him already this season but its games like Saturday it becomes a concern.
This would be interesting to see. It might invite teams onto us more and with 1/2 pacy wingers (depending on team selection) a new style could be very effective

If true - going to be a lot of knock on effects - not just who stands in in his role.
Think we'll see a lot less Doku, who knows, even Haaland may sit a couple out to give balance and cohesion.

Really is a huge blow - so fingers crossed not as feared.

Everybody should stop flapping and trust Pep to come up with a solution if Rodders is out for a long period.

We have Guardiol, Stones, Akanji, Kovacic, Gundogan, Stones and Grealish who could all do a job there.

Remember when we were struggling for a left back and Pep put Fabian Delph in that position, he took to it like a duck to water.

I suspect Guardiol will be the answer with Lewis at left back.
Any of those and we're not talking inadequates. They might not a spot on like for like, but they are seasoned pros and they can keep DM reasonably safe till Rodri comes back!

Sorry, I guess what I meant is that we managed to win five trophies and get to 198 points across two years without a recognised full-back in that time. So my hope is that, while DM is a much more difficult position to work out and while Rodri is a much harder player to replace than Mendy, Pep will find something that's at least 80-90% as good as five trophies and 198 points in tougher circumstances. Even in the 19/20 season, when we lost Kompany to semi-retirement and Laporte to injury, we still notched 81 points and won the League Cup. If Liverpool hadn't run away to 99 points that season we still would have been in a title race. After the four seasons we've just had, if this is a down period that "only" ends with us finishing top four and going for the cups then eh, I can live with that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.