Romeo Lavia

He has played well so far but its been 4 games. He will still make mistakes and when he does he needs to carry on playing. He would never get that here. Keeping him would have been wrong for him and hence for us
I think we'll be keeping a very close eye on his form, and as City fans we shopuld be keen for him to do well there, in 12 months time we might want him back, if he has proved himself, and we might then be in a position to offer him good game time.

The level we are at means he wouldn't have got this playing time here, and him being sat in the EDS (now effectively U21) would have been pointless.

I think we'll be keeping a very close eye on his form, and as City fans we shopuld be keen for him to do well there, in 12 months time we might want him back, if he has proved himself, and we might then be in a position to offer him good game time.

The level we are at means he wouldn't have got this playing time here, and him being sat in the EDS (now effectively U21) would have been pointless.

I think the point a few are making,myself included....is that he should have been given a chance here,instead of going out and spending 45m on a player that is no better.
It was clear as day that the kid had the ability and maturity to make the step up,hence why Saints recognised that and couldn't wait to give us a few quid for him.

He will be snapped up by one of or rivals unfortunately,as they will not have 2 players in their prime already on their books.

I think the point a few are making,myself included....is that he should have been given a chance here,instead of going out and spending 45m on a player that is no better.
It was clear as day that the kid had the ability and maturity to make the step up,hence why Saints recognised that and couldn't wait to give us a few quid for him.

He will be snapped up by one of or rivals unfortunately,as they will not have 2 players in their prime already on their books.
Lets wait and see what happens, it's very early days, on both counts.

I think what's more frustrating from my POV is that he obviously didn't become a good premier league player overnight some point in July.

He was good enough to do this in February, March, April when we were running a thin squad into the ground. He could have come on for 20-30 minute cameos and taken some of the load off.

And then Pep would have had a better idea of if he needed Phillips, or at the very least, we could have had a stronger hand in negotiations with Southampton, and the kid would have greater attachment to the club and fans and be even more keen to come back in 2 years.

Pep's obviously a brilliant manager, maybe the best ever, but I think he's picked up an unhelpful deference to veteran players as his career has gone on. Looking back to the famous 5-0 win for Barcelona vs Real Madrid, I would say there is zero chance 2022 Guardiola leaves Mascherano, Adriano and Maxwell on the bench to bring on Jeffren Suarez. He'd bring on the veteran player and leave the kid on the bench. I also don't think he'd drop Yaya Touré for 18 year old Busquets or Henry for Pedro any more.

Last edited:
We should all know by now that Experience trumps a youth player Every time you can even look at Foden it took pep nearly 2 seasons before he became a regular

I think what's more frustrating from my POV is that he obviously didn't become a good premier league player overnight some point in July.

He was good enough to do this in February, March, April when we were running a thin squad into the ground. He could have come on for 20-30 minute cameos and taken some of the load off.

And then Pep would have had a better idea of if he needed Phillips, or at the very least, we could have had a stronger hand in negotiations with Southampton, and the kid would have greater attachment to the club and fans and be even more keen to come back in 2 years.

Pep's obviously a brilliant manager, maybe the best ever, but I think he's picked up an unhelpful deference to veteran players as his career has gone on. Looking back to the famous 5-0 win for Barcelona vs Real Madrid, I would say there is zero chance 2022 Guardiola leaves Mascherano, Adriano and Maxwell on the bench to bring on Jeffren Suarez. He'd bring on the veteran player and leave the kid on the bench. I also don't think he'd drop Yaya Touré for 18 year old Busquets or Henry for Pedro any more.
As you are probably aware.....i have been singing his praises since Vinny suggested we sign him at 16,and no.....he very much didnt become an overnight sensation.It was obvious he had that bit extra and he could have done a very good job rotating with Dinho,who mentored him closely btw,last season.

No sugar coating this,we have let a good un go.

Would have loved him to get a chance in dead rubbers, but glad to see him playing.

Still things missing from his game Pep needs from his 6 in switching play and breaking lines. I've seen him do this but with JWP next to him why wouldn't you lay it off for him to do. The experience and confidence to expand his game is coming. The basic technical and positional side down already will stand him in good stead for an exceptional career in DM/CM

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.