Ronaldo?

Pigeonho said:
Motty said:
Pigeonho said:
His United connections are history, they mean zilch, zero, nothing. If we were signing him FROM United then yeah, fair enough, but we wouldn't be, we would be signing him from Real Madrid - there is nothing there to do with United. Ronaldo = 35+ goals a season. 35+ goals a season = the league title, perhaps more too. Anyone who doesn't want Ronaldo because of his United history is putting that before what is best for the club, because it doesn't take a genius to work out that those 35 goals a season will bring silverware in abundance. Fuck his history, it is exactly that, history.

But is paying £110m for someone and 400k a week really best for the club anyway? I don't really think it is. Even if you remove his United connections from the equation.
And it's not as if he's the only person who we could sign who could guide us to silverware.
If that's what the Sheikh wants to do with his money, so be it. The powers that be will work out if we can afford it, and if we can there is then nothing to stop us doing it, if Ronaldo wanted to come that is.
As for the silverware thing, I can't think of a player who we could get who would score us 35+ goals a season with a proven premier league track record to boot. 70 goals in 71 games he was on at one point this season, then he went and broke the Primera Liga most goals in a season record.
Top 4 player in the world.
Signing him from one of the top 3 clubs in the world.
Would more or less guarantee the title with the players already here.
The whole world would drop their jaw at the signing.

There is nothing negative about Ronaldo coming to us.

But if we did get him at 400k a week, then how are the other players going to see that? I think there is a risk they could be a bit annoyed about it, and, also, it would lead to other transfer targets demanding massive money like that, and then we could be in a difficult situation, where either we pay the massive wages and our wage bill is absolutely enormous, or we don't pay them and miss out on players.
As for him guarenteeing the title? Bit of a big leap there. I think United and Chelsea would defintely have something to say about it. No doubt, he'd increase our chances of it significantly but I think to say he would 'guarentee' the title is going a bit too far. Plus there is the physical treatment he might be on the end of from other teams.

Fesan said:
I could live with him coming and being top earner, however for me him demanding the armband is a dealbreaker.

I agree, Tevez isn't even right to be captain (in my opinion), so Ronaldo defintely isn't!

We are becoming one of the elite. The worlds elite players usually circulate around the same top clubs in football. Because of our recent history and the rags recent history more of the players we are now looking at have some horrible rag connection. I have hated the prancing pony with a passion in the past but recognise that as a club we have to rise well above that mentality and sign the best regardless.

Ronaldo would bump us up a level in almost every way I can think of. We are probably still at the stage where we will have to pay a premium for his ilk but with his help, or other players of his calibre, we will soon be established in the elite and will then be able to pay the European Elite club going rate-ish rather than the still aspiring and evolving European Elite club premium rate that we currently have to part with.

Not wetting myself at the prospect of this guy but can fully understand why the club might choose to spend big and do this, and we could certainly have lots of fun and banter with the rags over his arrival ;-)

Dont want him!!!! Would rather pay all that money for Messi!! At least he is not a mard ass!

Balti said:
We are becoming one of the elite. The worlds elite players usually circulate around the same top clubs in football. Because of our recent history and the rags recent history more of the players we are now looking at have some horrible rag connection. I have hated the prancing pony with a passion in the past but recognise that as a club we have to rise well above that mentality and sign the best regardless.

Ronaldo would bump us up a level in almost every way I can think of. We are probably still at the stage where we will have to pay a premium for his ilk but with his help, or other players of his calibre, we will soon be established in the elite and will then be able to pay the European Elite club going rate-ish rather than the still aspiring and evolving European Elite club premium rate that we currently have to part with.

Not wetting myself at the prospect of this guy but can fully understand why the club might choose to spend big and do this, and we could certainly have lots of fun and banter with the rags over his arrival ;-)

and if you were 'wetting yourself' you'd have a virgina - a bit like the subject himself..................

Brilliant Player ? Yes

Would i have him at City? Yes

If it means paying the fees mentioned? Hell no

Sorry but as much as i would like a player of his calibre at City, i sincerely hope we dont go anywhere near the demands. Even the fee would be too much.

Here lies the problem with FFPR...

Regardless of whether we have an interest in tranny or not, as a player he has a market worth and he is able to command top dollar for his services.

FFPR means that nobody is able to match his market worth and nobody is able to pay him his wages either.

I don't for a minute claim that the money in football is right but it is what it is and imo, there is no way back.

Players like Tranny will rip this legislation to bits in the courts very soon as they are basically being blocked from potential big money moves and earnings.

Restraint of trade anyone?

blueinsa said:
Here lies the problem with FFPR...

Regardless of whether we have an interest in tranny or not, as a player he has a market worth and he is able to command top dollar for his services.

FFPR means that nobody is able to match his market worth and nobody is able to pay him his wages either.

I don't for a minute claim that the money in football is right but it is what it is and imo, there is no way back.

Players like Tranny will rip this legislation to bits in the courts very soon as they are basically being blocked from potential big money moves and earnings.

Restraint of trade anyone?
I think the clubs will find a way around the shite ruling to be honest, there's no way it will work.

Talking of past rulings, I remember reading not so long ago that the man who sparked off one of the biggest rulings of our time is now skint and living off state benefits, (Bosman). Ironic and sad.

UEFA will hide behind the fact that it isn't a restraint of trade and that the market decides the value of players and wages and that there are no restictions in place to hinder that. However if a club were to sign a player on such large wages they the club would have to demonstrate that they are not putting the club at risk and can afford him under the break even legislation, if they can't, it doesn't stop the player either earning the money or playing for the club, it only means the club will not be licensed to play in the European competitions.

IMO no restraint of trade or restrictions on Employment although clubs will use the FFPR to drive down wages and cut a deal.

People saying no because of the money I can understand-ish. But people saying no as a player then, OH MY GOD, leave this forum please. No to ronaldo? What. The guy is a fucking immense talent and we saw exactly what he can do to the premier league in his last season. We would absolutely piss the league if we signed him hands down.

And as for the money part of it, we are going to buy atleast four players and put them on £100 grand a week because thats what we do now. So why not get arguably best player in the world and just save the hassle of the other 3 and let the youth come through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.