Rugby World Cup 2023

I don't hate the English though. Happy for the England football team to do well, just hate the England Rugby Union team. Went to university in Hull. The univeristy Rugby Union team was solely full of southern public school tossers, the locals only played and watched league and us state school oiks just played football.
It’s not much different over here. Well certainly in Leinster anyway.
But when the bi-national team play the whole country gets behind them.
I personally wouldn’t fancy celebrating with some of the Dublin 4 crowd but me and my mates who are into football, GAA, golf or whatever, you name it. We rejoice in the Irish team doing well.

Owen ought to be good at the "posh" code. I believe his grandparents (both sets) are Irish. Strong rugby union territory. And league is pretty much non existent over here.
Is it right that rugby union is largely a private school / upper class game in Ireland? That’s what a pal from Dublin told me anyway.

I know the Fords. my point is he ‘made it’ as a Union player as that’s all he played since junior school. As I said neither George nor Owen played ‘any’ senior league rugby as they didn’t have the opportunity. Of course Mike & George being from Oldham were brought up on league, as were Andy & Owen being from Wigan. However it’s unfair to suggest they only made it due to their fathers league background.

George had scholarships at Warrington Wolves, Wigan Warriors and Bradford Bulls as it looked as though the 13-man game would be his calling.

Mike explained: “When George left school he had the choice to join Bradford Bulls and Leicester Tigers Rugby Union Club.

George had scholarships at Warrington Wolves, Wigan Warriors and Bradford Bulls as it looked as though the 13-man game would be his calling.

Mike explained: “When George left school he had the choice to join Bradford Bulls and Leicester Tigers Rugby Union Club.

I’m not sure what your argument is. OK, you win ffs.

Is it right that rugby union is largely a private school / upper class game in Ireland? That’s what a pal from Dublin told me anyway.
As I said earlier I wouldn’t fancy watching the game with the D4 crowd.(Dublin 4).
But the country does get behind the Irish team no matter what sport you are mainly into.
Rugby is about 4th down the list of team games played here. The schools that play it are limited and certainly in Leinster they tend to be the posher colleges.

I’ve never played the game. It would never have been tolerated in a Christian Bros School. Then again neither would soccer. None of those foreign games in a CBS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.