Running thread

Just after a bit of advice regarding easing myself into running. I took early retirement on my 50th birthday back in May & my main retirement priority was to get fit and stay fit. I started the year at 18 stone & initially started walking at least 5 miles a day, meaning by May I was down to 17 stone. On my retirement I started swimming twice a week, recently ramping it up to 3 times, increasing swim length by 2 lengths per visit, as well as continuing my walks & adding 30 minutes on my exercise bike most days, and have now hit 16 stone.
I want to convert some of my walk into a run, gradually decreasing walk time & increasing running time.
Any tips on how to ease into this & any advice on running shoes for someone carrying a bit of extra blubber?

Just after a bit of advice regarding easing myself into running. I took early retirement on my 50th birthday back in May & my main retirement priority was to get fit and stay fit. I started the year at 18 stone & initially started walking at least 5 miles a day, meaning by May I was down to 17 stone. On my retirement I started swimming twice a week, recently ramping it up to 3 times, increasing swim length by 2 lengths per visit, as well as continuing my walks & adding 30 minutes on my exercise bike most days, and have now hit 16 stone.
I want to convert some of my walk into a run, gradually decreasing walk time & increasing running time.
Any tips on how to ease into this & any advice on running shoes for someone carrying a bit of extra blubber?
Great work so far mate. Im 59 and I couldn't run 2 mins for bus before lockdown. I started out on couchto5k which you run/walk few minutes and it gradually increases over space of few months. I graduated that now regularly run 5k and slightly further. At moment I'm on week 7 of 9 week 10k training plan and my next run due to be 55 mins. If someone had told me this time last year I'd be looking forward to running 55 mins or even able to I'd have thought they were crazy. Some great guys on here and I've had some great advice and inspiration. Keep going

Great work so far mate. Im 59 and I couldn't run 2 mins for bus before lockdown. I started out on couchto5k which you run/walk few minutes and it gradually increases over space of few months. I graduated that now regularly run 5k and slightly further. At moment I'm on week 7 of 9 week 10k training plan and my next run due to be 55 mins. If someone had told me this time last year I'd be looking forward to running 55 mins or even able to I'd have thought they were crazy. Some great guys on here and I've had some great advice and inspiration. Keep going

Cheers for that. Although I enjoy swimming, I find doing lengths a bit boring, and try to keep it interesting by changing locations & going to outdoor pools on sunny days.
I do think I'd find running more rewarding as I love the great outdoors & taking in all the sights and sounds during my walks. I guess it's just the case of starting gradually & slowly ramping it up.

Reactions: ob
View attachment 24294
Lovely run this week, live in Hampshire now but up visiting my Dad who hasn’t been so well. Training for Mcr 26.2 in Oct so took the opportunity to get my long run in whilst away. Planned a circuit of The Etihad then head into the City centre and South to Maine road. Real nostalgic trip that kept the interest so much I only noticed the leg pain around Fallowfield on the way back. First time back at Maine Road since the bulldozers came in and tbh it was a bit bittersweet, I nearly missed Maine Road off Claremont road as it was just so different. Mad running through the old center circle and my overwhelming feeling was it was a shame there wasn’t more of a tribute to the old place. Still I guess times moved on and it’s now someones neighbourhood rather than a shrine to days gone by. It was only when I got over to Platt Lane complex did I realise just how small the footprint of the land was compared to the whole
etihad campus. Still expected Steve McMahon and Michel vonk to be training on there as I ran past in the welcome Mancunin drizzle, then thru Platt Fields park where me and mates got pissed before Oasis in ‘96 then I was on my way.
Anyway, recommended as a long run route, and especially if you are like me an exiled Manc and trips are limited.

Sounds like a fantastic run and not one I had considered before but might attempt next time I head back. Might add the 53 Bus Route from Belle Vue also just for the nostalgia of the long walks from Belle Vue to the ground.

Funnily enough I considered missing the match on Saturday as I got talking to a bloke, at a race near Wimborne, Dorset, who told me about a race last weekend in Southampton called ‘The Pilgrimage’ put on by a company called Big Feat. Sounded a brilliant event. Also doing Manchester and got the Winchester Half Marathon pencilled in, on the 19th September, before I start tapering.

Last edited:

17 miles, 2:49

absolutely killed me - really bad chafting about 7 miles in, had to take off shorts. Stark bollock naked in a field. Find a sharpe stone to rip the inside netting apart. Awful.
Felt ok fitness wise but hit a wall at 16 and really was out of it when finished.

Well done on your progress so far. This is pretty close to my own experience. I took early retirement two years ago, but decided to lose some weight and improve my fitness. So around three years ago, I went from 17 stone to 13 stone, where I am now. I have to say though, you have to be very serious about what you eat - exercise alone won't get the weight down.

I was walking, but decided that running would burn the same number of calories, but in half the time as my long walks. Two years later and I'm training for the Manchester Marathon.

A good place to start is the Couch to 5k app. It will have you doing 5km runs if you stick with the program. Then you can join in on Parkruns, and run some organised races.

Join a running club too. You will get lots of good advice, and they will have organised runs that suit your ability.

Also, stick around here. You will get lots of encouragement and advice.

Well done on your progress so far. This is pretty close to my own experience. I took early retirement two years ago, but decided to lose some weight and improve my fitness. So around three years ago, I went from 17 stone to 13 stone, where I am now. I have to say though, you have to be very serious about what you eat - exercise alone won't get the weight down.

I was walking, but decided that running would burn the same number of calories, but in half the time as my long walks. Two years later and I'm training for the Manchester Marathon.

A good place to start is the Couch to 5k app. It will have you doing 5km runs if you stick with the program. Then you can join in on Parkruns, and run some organised races.

Join a running club too. You will get lots of good advice, and they will have organised runs that suit your ability.

Also, stick around here. You will get lots of encouragement and advice.

Cheers for the advice. Much appreciated.

Reactions: ob

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.