Running thread

17 miles, 2:49

absolutely killed me - really bad chafting about 7 miles in, had to take off shorts. Stark bollock naked in a field. Find a sharpe stone to rip the inside netting apart. Awful.
Felt ok fitness wise but hit a wall at 16 and really was out of it when finished.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Reactions: ob

17 miles, 2:49

absolutely killed me - really bad chafting about 7 miles in, had to take off shorts. Stark bollock naked in a field. Find a sharpe stone to rip the inside netting apart. Awful.
Felt ok fitness wise but hit a wall at 16 and really was out of it when finished.
Seriously though, I feel for you! I'm sure we've all had some mad experiences when out running. This is one of those things that is a massive stress at the time but you will (hopefully) find to be amusing in retrospect.

Cheers for that. Although I enjoy swimming, I find doing lengths a bit boring, and try to keep it interesting by changing locations & going to outdoor pools on sunny days.
I do think I'd find running more rewarding as I love the great outdoors & taking in all the sights and sounds during my walks. I guess it's just the case of starting gradually & slowly ramping it up.
If you enjoy walking in the countryside then you are halfway there to becoming a runner. Buy a pair of trail running shoes and go for walk in the hills. Pick a circular route which is steeper up than down. Walk fast up a few gentle hills. Walk slow up a steeper hill. Try a slow jog on grass, either on the flat or on a very gradual descent. The terrain will dictate how hard you need to work and when. Walking up hills will gradually raise the heart rate. Jogging on grass will gradually strength the legs. Slowly but surely you will run more and walk less. You can explore new routes in your local area for years.

I've got to enjoy trail running for its own sake over the last few years after 25 years or so of training for running and cycle races. So it's a way of life, more to enjoy the fitness and fresh air than to compete these days.

If you enjoy walking in the countryside then you are halfway there to becoming a runner. Buy a pair of trail running shoes and go for walk in the hills. Pick a circular route which is steeper up than down. Walk fast up a few gentle hills. Walk slow up a steeper hill. Try a slow jog on grass, either on the flat or on a very gradual descent. The terrain will dictate how hard you need to work and when. Walking up hills will gradually raise the heart rate. Jogging on grass will gradually strength the legs. Slowly but surely you will run more and walk less. You can explore new routes in your local area for years.

I've got to enjoy trail running for its own sake over the last few years after 25 years or so of training for running and cycle races. So it's a way of life, more to enjoy the fitness and fresh air than to compete these days.

Great advice. Thanks very much. I live pretty close to Cannock Chase which has all the attributes of gentle slopes, steep slopes and flat land so sounds ideal

Seriously though, I feel for you! I'm sure we've all had some mad experiences when out running. This is one of those things that is a massive stress at the time but you will (hopefully) find to be amusing in retrospect.
Loads of silly mishaps....stuck in a bog, swimming through a flood, chased by dogs, chased by dog walkers chasing their dogs, chased by cows, nearly run over by a car...but only once, collisions with bikes...more than once, lost in other towns when working away.....

I'm finally getting the hang of this running thing!

Just to recap, i've had health issues over the last few years which were fixed just before Christmas.
I was 16 stone + or about 5 stone overweight in March. (i'm in my fifties!)

I'm now 13 stone with another stone to go. I'll still be classed as overweight, but i do carry muscles due to my job.
My waist has dropped from 38 to 33 inch. 25+25 sit-ups each day has helped.
My running pace has dropped from around 9 mins per kilometre to around 5.30 mins per kilometre.

The most important thing is that i was Type2 diabetic, high cholesterol, fatty liver and no B12. My blood pressure last year reached over 200/160.

The good news is that i had a phone call yesterday saying i've managed to completely reverse my diabetes!
All my bloods have come back normal with only my cholesterol still being slightly raised.
My blood pressure has dropped dramatically. It is still slightly high at 130/90 so i'll have to stay on a low dose of Ramiprill for now.

I normally run around Dovestones. I love it but was getting a bit bored.
So over the last two months, i did my run, then walked up the Chew Rd to the Chew valley. It is very steep, and a good walk all on it's own.
I then realised it all added up to 10.1k.
So i decided to see if i could try and run most of it. I did the Chew hill first. Mainly walking and running when i could.
Coming down the hill i ran, then did the lap of Doves. The whole thing took about 1h10mins. Average pace of 7.15mins.

I've not yet managed to complete it by running all the way, but i'm getting close. My times are dropping each attempt.
It has had a dramatic effect on my fitness. I think the extra distance/time and variance has been better for me.

Got the stockport hatters half marathon week sunday (5th Sept)

And currently, despite all the aches and niggling pains i have.

Still unsure what trainers to wear.

I have the following:

Adidas Ultraboost HD
Adidas X9000
Nike Pegasus Trail 2

Each all have had their uses when running, with this being part road and trail I don't know what to go for.

X9000 can start to hurt (especially in the laces) but are more pratical

Whilst my Nike Pegasus i feel like i am running with weights attached to the bottom of my feet, and not as comfy to run in.

Anybody know what's best to go off? (can't buy another new pair of running trainers unfortunately)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.