Running thread

I've had a difficult running week. I missed my run on Tuesday due to a meeting running late. This was my first missed run of my marathon training plan. I'm sure the odd missed session won't matter in the overall scheme.

Sunday is long run day though, and today's was a punishing 30km. I started at 16:30, while the sun was still warm, but to mitigate that, I ran down the Trans Pennine Trail from Lymm, joining the Bridgewater Canal from Altrincham to Timperley. From there I called at my mum's near Brooklands for water, then to my son's in Northenden for another water break.

I was back out after a couple of minutes, already quite fatigued, but at least refreshed.

The total run (more accurately jog and walk) took 22 seconds short of 4 hours to complete. That's a marathon pace of around 5 hours 30 minutes. I'll be happy just to complete it though.

Spare a thought for us marathon tail-enders. Whilst others are rightly getting all the plaudits for their fast times, they are expending maximum energy for 3 hours, or 4 hours or whatever. Meanwhile, we plodders are putting our maximum efforts into running for 5 to 6 hours, and this is a whole lot harder on the body.

After today's effort, I had a 1km cool down walk. During this, my body temperature dropped, the top of my middle finger went white and numb, and I got the shivers. A shower, cup of hot tea, and bed, and I'm now back to normal, but I really need a good end of run routine, if anyone has any tips.

I reckon I will be able to increase today's run by another 12km. I'm just praying @BlueHammer85 doesn't suggest a BlueMoon Virtual Marathon.

Five weeks until the Manchester 42k.

Great work there Paladin. How did your fuelling go as you never mentioned that.

Its often suggested a gram of carbs per minute running therefore 60 grams per hour, which is the equivalent of two of those SIS gels (36 grams of carbs each) every 1hr 10 minutes.

I've had a difficult running week. I missed my run on Tuesday due to a meeting running late. This was my first missed run of my marathon training plan. I'm sure the odd missed session won't matter in the overall scheme.

Sunday is long run day though, and today's was a punishing 30km. I started at 16:30, while the sun was still warm, but to mitigate that, I ran down the Trans Pennine Trail from Lymm, joining the Bridgewater Canal from Altrincham to Timperley. From there I called at my mum's near Brooklands for water, then to my son's in Northenden for another water break.

I was back out after a couple of minutes, already quite fatigued, but at least refreshed.

The total run (more accurately jog and walk) took 22 seconds short of 4 hours to complete. That's a marathon pace of around 5 hours 30 minutes. I'll be happy just to complete it though.

Spare a thought for us marathon tail-enders. Whilst others are rightly getting all the plaudits for their fast times, they are expending maximum energy for 3 hours, or 4 hours or whatever. Meanwhile, we plodders are putting our maximum efforts into running for 5 to 6 hours, and this is a whole lot harder on the body.

After today's effort, I had a 1km cool down walk. During this, my body temperature dropped, the top of my middle finger went white and numb, and I got the shivers. A shower, cup of hot tea, and bed, and I'm now back to normal, but I really need a good end of run routine, if anyone has any tips.

I reckon I will be able to increase today's run by another 12km. I'm just praying @BlueHammer85 doesn't suggest a BlueMoon Virtual Marathon.

Well done mate. What do when marathon training is after my cool down… ice or cold bath for 10 mins and the straight into really hot shower. I then use magnesium oil on my legs (stings at first but you get used to it) and then some light stretching. Fuel wise I generally just eat what I normally eat but have a chocolate milk drink.
on your runs are you using electrolytes? I would have a look at sis hydro tablets as you can plop into water when you refill and should help you on your run

Got the stockport hatters half marathon week sunday (5th Sept)

And currently, despite all the aches and niggling pains i have.

Still unsure what trainers to wear.

I have the following:

Adidas Ultraboost HD
Adidas X9000
Nike Pegasus Trail 2

Each all have had their uses when running, with this being part road and trail I don't know what to go for.

X9000 can start to hurt (especially in the laces) but are more pratical

Whilst my Nike Pegasus i feel like i am running with weights attached to the bottom of my feet, and not as comfy to run in.

Anybody know what's best to go off? (can't buy another new pair of running trainers unfortunately)
Ultras as the grip is excellent, I did the hell on a fell in a pair and was fine (part of tour of thameside)

good going that.

I completed my first HM sunday and now wondering do i do a few more around that level or stick to 10ks

I literally had the shakes after i finished

good going that.

I completed my first HM sunday and now wondering do i do a few more around that level or stick to 10ks

I literally had the shakes after i finished
Half marathons all the way, just don’t try and beat your time each race. Build slowly and practise and the times will come naturally. I never do 10ks as I know I will kill myself trying for that faster time. Well that’s my thinking anyway

Well done mate. What do when marathon training is after my cool down… ice or cold bath for 10 mins and the straight into really hot shower. I then use magnesium oil on my legs (stings at first but you get used to it) and then some light stretching. Fuel wise I generally just eat what I normally eat but have a chocolate milk drink.
on your runs are you using electrolytes? I would have a look at sis hydro tablets as you can plop into water when you refill and should help you on your run
I got some energy gels with sodium, and I take one of these at the half way point of my long runs, with water. I take water on the way round, and three additional regular gels.

I try to finish my runs near a shop, and I often get a drink at the end, sometimes a sandwich, followed by a 1km walk home during which I stretch and stuff.

It's not a big problem really. Just on a couple of occasions I've felt quite bad. A few weeks ago I felt about to faint whilst showering, so I quickly dried off and lay down and felt much better. As I say though, I don't think it's a serious issue - just something to try and avoid if possible.

Great work there Paladin. How did your fuelling go as you never mentioned that.

Its often suggested a gram of carbs per minute running therefore 60 grams per hour, which is the equivalent of two of those SIS gels (36 grams of carbs each) every 1hr 10 minutes.
Thanks for this. I just posted something about my fueling. One of my best runs recently though, was the morning after a nice pasta meal. I need to try that again.

Half marathons all the way, just don’t try and beat your time each race. Build slowly and practise and the times will come naturally. I never do 10ks as I know I will kill myself trying for that faster time. Well that’s my thinking anyway

good point on that, i actually have a 10k end of the month.

Luckily its all flat ground

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.