Running thread

Week 8 day 3 of my 10k training programme this morning. Longest one of the lot walk 5 mins, steady run 60 mins, walk 5. Completed 6.5 miles at average pace of 19.3 walking and 09.59 min/ml running. I usually aim between 10.5-11 min/mile for a steady run. Forgot to save on my Garmin but the training app saved it. Hoping to run my 2nd parkrun this weekend. Never thought I'd be running 10k before starting work

Last edited:
Just did 2nd parkrun. Came 119th, no official time yet but my Garmin says it was in 32.35 at 10.26 mile/min. Stopped about a mile in with another guy to help a woman who'd fallen so cost me few places and bit of time. Still happy enough with that as my 2nd attempt. It was also part of an online attempt to break world record of most people running 5k in 24 hours with one of those online race companies

World record holder, seemingly it stood at just over 6k and so far over 9k have submitted times

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1630873792037.jpg
    FB_IMG_1630873792037.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9
I've had a difficult running week. I missed my run on Tuesday due to a meeting running late. This was my first missed run of my marathon training plan. I'm sure the odd missed session won't matter in the overall scheme.

Sunday is long run day though, and today's was a punishing 30km. I started at 16:30, while the sun was still warm, but to mitigate that, I ran down the Trans Pennine Trail from Lymm, joining the Bridgewater Canal from Altrincham to Timperley. From there I called at my mum's near Brooklands for water, then to my son's in Northenden for another water break.

I was back out after a couple of minutes, already quite fatigued, but at least refreshed.

The total run (more accurately jog and walk) took 22 seconds short of 4 hours to complete. That's a marathon pace of around 5 hours 30 minutes. I'll be happy just to complete it though.

Spare a thought for us marathon tail-enders. Whilst others are rightly getting all the plaudits for their fast times, they are expending maximum energy for 3 hours, or 4 hours or whatever. Meanwhile, we plodders are putting our maximum efforts into running for 5 to 6 hours, and this is a whole lot harder on the body.

After today's effort, I had a 1km cool down walk. During this, my body temperature dropped, the top of my middle finger went white and numb, and I got the shivers. A shower, cup of hot tea, and bed, and I'm now back to normal, but I really need a good end of run routine, if anyone has any tips.

I reckon I will be able to increase today's run by another 12km. I'm just praying @BlueHammer85 doesn't suggest a BlueMoon Virtual Marathon.

Five weeks until the Manchester 42k.

Sounds like you're smashing it, @Paladin. For the end-of-run routine, it's often suggested that it's a good idea to actually keep moving rather than stopping. One way of doing this is to walk at the end of your run for maybe half a mile or so.

Also, eat something when you can, and obviously drink. Blueberries have been found to aid recovery, so I put them (frozen) into a protein shake.

There's some (limited) evidence for cold/hot water immersion helping as well. Some like to alternate, i.e. hot bath interspersed with a couple of minutes with a cold shower spraying onto the legs (or vice-verse).

I also think that we just have to accept that we are going to be pretty knackered after a long run!

I've had a difficult running week. I missed my run on Tuesday due to a meeting running late. This was my first missed run of my marathon training plan. I'm sure the odd missed session won't matter in the overall scheme.

Sunday is long run day though, and today's was a punishing 30km. I started at 16:30, while the sun was still warm, but to mitigate that, I ran down the Trans Pennine Trail from Lymm, joining the Bridgewater Canal from Altrincham to Timperley. From there I called at my mum's near Brooklands for water, then to my son's in Northenden for another water break.

I was back out after a couple of minutes, already quite fatigued, but at least refreshed.

The total run (more accurately jog and walk) took 22 seconds short of 4 hours to complete. That's a marathon pace of around 5 hours 30 minutes. I'll be happy just to complete it though.

Spare a thought for us marathon tail-enders. Whilst others are rightly getting all the plaudits for their fast times, they are expending maximum energy for 3 hours, or 4 hours or whatever. Meanwhile, we plodders are putting our maximum efforts into running for 5 to 6 hours, and this is a whole lot harder on the body.

After today's effort, I had a 1km cool down walk. During this, my body temperature dropped, the top of my middle finger went white and numb, and I got the shivers. A shower, cup of hot tea, and bed, and I'm now back to normal, but I really need a good end of run routine, if anyone has any tips.

I reckon I will be able to increase today's run by another 12km. I'm just praying @BlueHammer85 doesn't suggest a BlueMoon Virtual Marathon.

Five weeks until the Manchester 42k.

Great effort. Sounds like you are on track. It’s hard to give advice for tail end routine - often it really is you v your brain - keep hydrated and fuelled if you can.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.