Running thread

No I tend to do either - like you Said theres nothing better than a 6am summer morning when there’s no one about on the canal.

I think if I was to do this more than twice a week I’d have to really learn to slow down as I don’t think my body could cope with the load the way I currently run.

ive just got back from a 12km and wanted to stay slow and keep my heart rate in the 130isg zone but I find it really tough to just trot slowly. I don’t know if it’s just boredom or habit!

It is quite hard to do, but the benefits are huge. When I was building up to the marathon distance I found the long easy runs felt harder because it was so much time on the legs and running more slowly felt unnatural. But when it came to doing half marathon races in the build up, I just felt so much quicker. There is a lot of evidence to say running slowly makes you quicker, it helps you burn fat as an energy source for example, and it strengthens the slow twitch muscle fibres which helps prevent injuries. You could always just throw a few tempo miles in there so you feel like you've done some quicker running, but keep the majority in the easy category.

Strange run today. Done 8 miles at low intensity trying to keep heart rate down. Normally I would average 130bpm but I couldn’t get it under 150 today doing the same pace. Any ideas why this could be?
Needed a number 2. 3 miles from home and had to walk back . At least that got the heart rate back down

Happened to me a couple of times if I had breakfast before a run. Always run fasted now. Nothing worse than looking for a bush to shit behind

If you're running in the aerobic heart rate zones (as opposed to anaerobic) then you are burning body fat as fuel and working out your cardio system. This means that you are training yourself to be more efficient and improving your aerobic capacity and therefore developing endurance. The upshot of this is that you are training yourself to be able to run further, easier.

Heart rate training is a really big thing at the moment as there's a lot of evidence supporting its impact. Even if you look at the absolute elites - Eliud Kipchoge (the greatest marathon runner ever who ran sub-2 hours last year) does most of his mileage at the sort of easy pace that many of us could manage!

Another benefit is that it allows you to train more. Hard sessions need more recovery; easier running means quick recovery and more miles.

Of course, this depends on your goals: if you want to be able to run a half marathon or a marathon (and probably a decent 10k as well) then this sort of training will be of huge benefit. Likewise if you just want to have good general cardio fitness for a longer life or if you want to lose body fat.

It's less important for 100m sprinters or body builders. So it really comes down to what your goals are.

100% this. I did 4 miles yesterday at 9:25 pace and barely hit 80% of max HR. Did 5* 1km sprint intervals with recoveries this morning and was regularly hitting 90%+ at 7:43 pace. The harder you run the more exhausted you get and your body switches from drawing on fat reserves to glycogen reserves , which the body can only store so much of. Hence the reason why distance runners can sometimes hit "the wall".

There could be loads of different reasons for this mate.
  • Have you done a lot of running this week? This is a common reason for elevated heart rate. Perhaps you need a day off - recovery time is absolutely vital and should not be neglected.
  • Have you had a lot of caffeine?
  • Not eaten?
  • Coming down with something?
  • Or just done something differently to how you normally would?
A few factors I suppose.
  • I normally run in the morning but did it late afternoon.
  • My heart rate was elevated more than normal before my run.
  • Stomach slightly off
  • Hard HIIT session on the Tuesday and full body workout on Wednesday
Hard to decrease the HR once it’s elevated

Happened to me a couple of times if I had breakfast before a run. Always run fasted now. Nothing worse than looking for a bush to shit behind
Ha ha. It’s always been a problem with me for some reason. I’ve even been toilet twice beforehand and still needed to go mid run. I’ve tried Imodium tablets the lot
I was walking around a random field yesterday looking for a bush and got caught before crouching down , they must have thought I was a right weirdo. Luckily it managed to subside and I managed to make it home just. A right scene for the misses as I come flying in and straight upstairs. I wouldn’t mind but had no food 3 hours previous and had also been toilet

Does anyone “run commute daily”? Under normal circumstances I live just off the bridgewater canal and it’s a lovely (car free) 10km to castle field then a little bit on the roads to my office off king street. I do this once a week on the way home, but don’t think I’d be able to do it 4 days p/w that I usually work in the office!
I do it from Stretford occasionally though still working from home
i tend to run one way in (4 miles ) and walk run in the other direction.

A few factors I suppose.
  • I normally run in the morning but did it late afternoon.
  • My heart rate was elevated more than normal before my run.
  • Stomach slightly off
  • Hard HIIT session on the Tuesday and full body workout on Wednesday
Hard to decrease the HR once it’s elevated
I reckon that's your answer right there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.